It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Tracking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Just wondering why I would find 14 critical tracking cookies on my computer after visiting this site only?

Seems a bit excessive dont you think?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This is the only site you've ever visited!

*SCORE* That's like we took your cyber-virginity or something.

But I can't help you with your cookie issue.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I expect it's from the adverts, the board it's self will only place a couple.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   
No I mean I cleaned the pc (of adware etc) visited this site only, then scanned it again!

14 Critical objects/tracking cookies. All I did was log in and out again!

You dig?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
As was said, the cookies are from the ads placed here (any geek near you can confirm what I'm saying.) The board only places one or two that say who you were (permanent login to save you from retyping everything) and what messages you were reading/entering (so Google can serve you related ads. It's part of the Google Adwords.)

If you're worried, you can get cookie erasers (or nuke your cache.)

For what it's worth, all BBS software does this -- in particular sites with Google ads on them.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by Byrd]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infinitum08
No I mean I cleaned the pc (of adware etc) visited this site only, then scanned it again!

14 Critical objects/tracking cookies. All I did was log in and out again!

You dig?

Yeah - I dig...it was a lot more exciting when I thought we were your first.

See Byrd and others posts above.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
hehe!

Good place for all the ads then!

Up there for thinking and down there for dancing I guess!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Cookies are very common on every site. They don't come from AboveTopSecret.com, meaning, the owner of this site did not make the advertisements. Ads have a way to get into sites...how they got there? I have no idea.

As for your "cookies" problems. All you have to do is download Ad-Aware, and get rid of them. I have Norton Anti Virus that I update every week, and Ad aware which gets rid of those nasty cookies. Then my computer is in top shape.

However...viruses do tend to find a way into your computer. You just have to remember the following..

Don't go on top sites that have viruses.

Don't download games, or play them on the computer

Don't download unknown files.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
just felt the need to quote here:

'I'll pluck out my eyes and get rid of the burning'

Not worried it just seemed (like i say) excessive for a log in log out action. I dont usually get that many in a day!

Thanks WLW I am using adaware.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Dig ur pic byrd, who is that guy?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It seems as though we have a new round of "cookie paranoia".

I've been developing online technology that use cookies since the very first version of Netscape 0.9b appeared in my inbox with a newly refined and improved cookie core.

To this day, I'm baffled as to why there has become such a worry... other than the fraudulently generated consumer worry from the makers of anti-spyware spyware and misinformed media.

None of the cookies that have appeared from your use of ATS have any data that could identify you.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Id like to add that its not 2 cookies from ats ,but exactly 6 thats only from ats , havent visited bts, pts etc.(not that it matters anyway)

The tracking cookies come from not correctly configuring your browser so the browser accepts all cookies it seems .

Go here : mozilla.gunnars.net...

This is a detailed guide on how to configure the cookie policy of firefox if your using it.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thats true coz I dont put personal data in to my puter!

And this paranoia talk, gees i think the drama level is climbing!:

WARNING WARNING WARNING!

It was just a simple question.

There you go man,
keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe that you percieve
The whip they lead

Keep on thinking free! :

Do you think there could be such a thing as...............

Too much information?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
To this day, I still wonder...... what I would do without them!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

And this paranoia talk, gees i think the drama level is climbing!

Well... I applied a generalization because we get questions like these every month.

Your original question: "Just wondering why I would find 14 critical tracking cookies on my computer after visiting this site only?" This is rather odd... why would you use the term "critical tracking" in this context? It certainly makes us think the issue is causing you concern.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
As a side note, I just counted the cookies I have... there are over 3,000... and never a problem.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Thanks WLW I am using adaware.

You're welcome infin, just remember to use Ad Aware every so often. All those cookies can slow down your computer a bit. Another way to make your computer faster, if you want to know is by using the Disk Defragmenter. You don't have to download that, as I believe you already have it. I know I already do, since I have a windows XP. If you have windows the Defragmenter should be in the Acessories menu.

Access this by clicking "start" at the bottom left hand corner.

Next go to "programs"

After that choose Accessories then follow down to the words "system tools"

Choose "Disk Defragmenter" Once you click on that a window should pop up. Click on "Defragment"

Just thought you should know, and if you have any more problems or virus problems..just u2u me.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by whitelightwolf]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Adware it where he picked up the "critical cookie" term.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitelightwolf

You're welcome infin, just remember to use Ad Aware every so often. All those cookies can slow down your computer a bit. Another way to make your computer faster, if you want to know is by using the Disk Defragmenter. You don't have to download that, as I believe you already have it. I know I already do, since I have a windows XP. If you have windows the Defragmenter should be in the Acessories menu

[edit on 21-3-2006 by whitelightwolf]

one thing WLW forgot to mention is to make sure all your background programs are shut down, for example AIM, MSN messenger, music programs,etc. This will help to speed up defragmenting process.. it also helps to do this in windows SAFE mode as this will limit the amount of background processes running... otherwise the defrag can take forever and a day, especially with larger drives or multiple partitions.

[edit on 3/21/2006 by McGuirk]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
If on the other hand you defrag once week it will get done quickly

Also turn everything off when defragging especially p2p programms

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join