It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North East Due for a Hurricane Says Expert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Accuweather expert Joe Bastardi, (you all probably know this guy by now) says the Northeast is due for a hurricane and the Gulf states are still in peril for the next few years.

Report: Northeast due for a major hurricane

“The Northeast is staring down the barrel of a gun,” Joe Bastardi, AccuWeather’s chief hurricane forecaster, said in the report.

"With the weather patterns and hydrology we’re seeing in the oceans, the likelihood of a major hurricane making landfall in the Northeast is not a question of if but when,” he said.

Bastardi cites warm water temperatures which has been several degrees warmer this winter which he attributes to a normal cycle. I lived in Brooklyn when hurricane Gloria came thru, i remember parts of Coney Island, Brighton Beach and Howard Beach got flooded that was 1985 and I don't recall any other hurricane in that area since. So it will catch many people unprepared if a major hurricane was to hit the tri-state area.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
WW.....what happened to the Bollywood babes?...... They are all gone, now there is a crazy white chic which has replaced them in your avatar... Is this a conspiracy?....

Ok, I apologize for that, this topic is serious.

(warming oceans...warming oceans.....beautiful Hindu light eyed bollywood babes, beautiful Hindu light eyed bollywood babes....... beautiful Hindu light eyed bollywood babes....)

Ok, seriously now. There are a lot of "overdue events" these days aren't there? Between major sea quakes in the Atlantic and the Pacific, the volcano under Yellowstone, major hurricanes in the Northeast and each year stronger and longer hurricane seasons, etc, etc, etc.

I really think, and I have been saying this for a while now, that people and governments should be makijng plans to "permanently" evacuate people from coasts, but we all know it is not going to happen. Mostly because a lot of people will not accept this and will decide to stay as has been demonstrated so many times when hurricanes have been announced to hit land.

If people can't move farther inland, at least they should have provisions to last them for at least a month, food, water, medicines and everything needed to keep yourself healthy and mentally/physically active if you suddenly find yourself, and your family, alone and cut off from civilization.

Have an emergency in your car with some food, a couple days, candles, some water, blankets, flashlights, first aid kits, etc, etc, also in case you have to leave everything in short notice. This way you are prepared if you don't have a lot of time to gather the things you need from your house.

Make plans with the whole family for evacuations, where you should meet, and if possible try to choose off roads to avoid traffic jams.

People should be making at least some plans and preparations just in case.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
THEY ARE BACK...THE BOLLYWOOD BABES ARE BACK.... THANK YOU!!!!

Anyways, thanks for posting this WW.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The Northeast is also about 500 years overdue for a major earthquake sayeth, the seismologists...

I'm originally from the Boston area in Massachusetts, and we generally expect hurricanes about once a year. What usually happens is that most hurricanes that do reach us have become nasty tropical depressions. The wind is lessened but we still get flooding from the abundant rains.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The Northeast is also about 500 years overdue for a major earthquake sayeth, the seismologists...

I'm originally from the Boston area in Massachusetts, and we generally expect hurricanes about once a year. What usually happens is that most hurricanes that do reach us have become nasty tropical depressions. The wind is lessened but we still get flooding from the abundant rains.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think the NorthEast will experience a major hurricane before it experiences a Major quake.

The main problem should such a storm hit the northeast would be to those who reside in apartment buildings and cannot board up, like we here in florida do. So there only option would be to evacuate, somehow I don't think the NY city would be able to handle that massive amount of evacuees seeking a safe shelter.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
There are several faults that run across the state of NY.

between 1730 and 1986, more than 400 earthquakes for which location could be determined occurred in New York State. These earthquakes had a magnitude greater than about 2.0 as per this LINK.

In that link it mentions this:
The largest known New York State earthquake happened in the Cornwall-Massena area along the US-Canadian border on September 5, 1944. It had a maximum intensity of VIII on the Modified Mercalli scale (Richter magnitude about 6)

Just some trivial facts .....

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I remember an earthquake way back when i was a wee pod. I was watching the karate kid, and my friends were sleeping over, I thought it was a truck but then realized it was a small earthquake. Strange thing in westchester ! I didnt even know of any major fault lines in NY. But hey the earth is a dynamic like a women, she can change at any moment, and i mean ANY moment !

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
"North-east" is not a location

NorthEast America would be.

Next time it would be great if you specified the country you are talking about.

new topics

top topics

join