It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the American Rock Bands?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I haven't heard a good band from America in ages! Where are they??? There are loads on the Scottish scene, but I haven't heard anything from America except all the Emo malarky. Are there still hard rocking bands out there? Velvet Revolver is good, but I want some new intriguing stuff.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I been diggin Queens of the Stone Age. Plus a lot of local music. So much of what has gone "commercial" and popular is crap, IMO.

U2U if you want a nice list of stuff to check out.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
System of a Down, imo.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Static-X
media.putfile.com...

they'll always rox

too bad the radio here only plays emofag music.

and coming up next hawthorne heights! /////////vomits countinously/////////

and if you think

Velvet Revolver is a hard rocking band......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA
AGHHHHHHHHH

HAHAHAHAA

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Good music in the U.S.A. is dead and has been dead for years now.

IMO grunge rock killed music period !

the only place music is still good is in the EU.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I was waiting for the Static-X plug. Go figure it was from the guy with wayne in his avatar.

STATIC-X and System both rock. How about Sevendust? As I lay Dying? Lo-Pro? hed(PE)? Killswitch Engage?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Oh!

Mindless Self Indulgence

I

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
j00 can't deny teh Waynestatic!

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wayne rox.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
yeah ... repect the Monstah voice of Wayne!

QOTSA are kewl also..

SOAD!!!! YES!!! they rule! bearing in mind the first album was produced by Rick Rubin (public enemy, RHCP and the almighty Slayer!)

MSI ....!!!! well... they make me emotional!

also... what about Audioslave?

there are plenty of rock bands out there from US! I think you need to crawl out from behind that rock and find that pulse. Skinny Puppy have released some kewl chunes too.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
There's only a few decent American bands, I'm afraid. I can't stand Velvet Revolver, to be honest. Check out Killswitch Engage; their older stuff (the self-titled album and "Alive or Just Breathing") is their best so far.

I'm just waiting for Metallica's new album. I really, really hope they go old school, St. Anger sucked big time. I heard Rick Rubin is producing it... He never fails to amaze me.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Sad but true (pun not intended). There are a few hard rockin american bands that i do like, top of the list,

Clutch
Lamb of God
Hatebreed

Sadly it seems to be more about image and sales than good old fashioned belt it out and be damned ROCK! Though i love the older Metallica imo they do have a lot to answer for..

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I have to say that I also enjoy Queens of the Stone Age. But I really didn't give them much of serious listen until I heard another band, Eagles of Death Metal. Both bands include Josh Homme; frontman for the Queens of Death Metal and the drummer and producer for Eagles of Death Metal.

Both bands seem to draw from earlier eras of rock and have created an altogether new sound that stand out against the "it all sounds the same" music that seem to dominate the airwaves these days.

If you have'nt heard the Eagles of Death Metal, give them a listen. I think that they are really worth it. Trust me, they'll grow on you -- until, of course, they make it to the radio and then, that's all you'll hear.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
To be honest... American music is dying out and is doing so very quickly. European metal is taking the number one spot, and rightly so, too! It doesn't stop at just metal, either.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
All the great American Rock Bands are either Senior Citizens Now, or R. I. P., IMO. Have'nt heard anything recently I would consider great, or even good, for that matter.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
There are a few good American bands, like:

QOTSA
SOAD
TooL
Clutch
A Perfect Circle
Trivium are not too bad

That is just a quick list, but i do agree that the American's music scene is dieing out.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by picklewalsh
That is just a quick list, but i do agree that the American's music scene is dieing out.

Or is it?

Could it be the true fresh talent is now finding its roots on the internet, bands now have the ability to gather fans of their work all over the world without even leaving the country.
I listen to plenty of good bands over the net that put their music up to be listened to either through streaming it or offering a couple of tracks as free downloads to get you interested in their work.
In my opinion the ''good music'' isn't out there in the mainstream gathering the mega bucks but is out playing smaller venues and spreading their music through word of mouth and places such as myspace.
Trust me the real talent, whatever the genre is still out there its just hiding waiting to be found.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have a bit of an Obsession with Queens Of The Stone Age so i will go with y'all on that one. They are extremily creative and Josh Hommes vocal ranges are amazing.

I like Eagles of Death Metal as well but they are supposed to be a funny/joke band, and they are funny if you really listen to their lyrics.

Also the other guitar player of QOTSA, Troy Van Leeuwen also has his own band called Enemy. I feel they are worth checking out as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
Also the other guitar player of QOTSA, Troy Van Leeuwen also has his own band called Enemy. I feel they are worth checking out as well.

He also playes with a band called A Perfect Circle who are amazing.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Clutch are one of the best heavy American bands, an excellent sound they've got.

I can't get into much of the "Trivium" style metal though, it's too far over the "emo" line, and just doesn't sound "real".....but thats just my opinion.

Qotsa have gone downhill, SOAD are still good, Tool/APC will always be good, Converge are good, THe Mars Volta are good (but an acquired taste, so I'm told)...there's quite a few good bands left, the musics not dead yet

top topics

<<   2 >>

join