It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Says He Doesn't Want To Run For President....But What If He Just Wants To Step Quietly Into

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is not any sort of "vision", or hope or wish, or fear. It is simply something that I have been wondering about on and off. I hesitated for quite a while before posting this, partly because I think I won't work it right and my curiosity taken wrong. Then, I decided, what the hell. I really am curious about this, and wonder if it has crossed anyone elses mind also:

Just based on the current Administration's sneaky, secretive behavior, and my own (sometimes) overactive imagination, I keep picturing the following scenario:

Dick Cheney says that, "Hell, no!" he has no intention of running for President in 2008. But somehow, I find that somewhat hard to believe. It appears that he has found himself (at least for now) some solid footing in the White House, and obviously has a sizable amount of influence on what goes on there. From what I understand, his wife has also spent a number of years in the White House also.

Given that, and circumstances in general, I (it's hard to write this, because I can't stand violence of any kind) can'thelp but wonder if perhaps while he probably really doesn't want to actually run for President, he hasn't at least entertained the idea of GWB having some sort of accident near the end of his term, maybe early 2008 or late 2007, clearing the way for Cheney to naturally just take right over.

That way, come next election - 2008 - he could run as an incumbent. Maybe he is not all that evil. I don't know, since I don't know any more about the man than what I have read and seen. It's just a thought that comes and goes, and it's been hanging around more lately.

Just wondering if anyone else has wondered the same thing, or something similar?

mod edit: spelling in title

[edit on 13-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hey Cyberkat,

I will admit to having wondered about something along a similar line myself. The folks who think LBJ was a party to the JFK assassination reason along the same lines. I am not suggesting you believe that about the JFK thing...

I think this is one of the reasons that impeachment of GW is a bad idea (if you want to see a chance for a Democrat in the presidency in 2008). If Bush were to be removed from office, and Cheney were to step aside sometime afterwords on grounds of "ill health" (due to ultra-low poll numbers regarding his "trustworthiness) then you would have Dennis Hastert running as the incumbent. IMHO, 8 years of that guy would truly put the country tightly in the grip of the Fundies.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
Just based on the current Administration's sneaky, secretive behavior, and my own (sometimes) overactive imagination, I keep picturing the following scenario:

And, this administration has the market cornered on sneakiness and secretive behavior???

No, I don't think Cheney wants to be on front street like that. He seems better suited to his behind the scenes management.
What I do long for is presidential eelection being talked about for 12 months or less from the date of the election

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Oh, oh, I know what tonight's nightmare will be.
I hope George doesn't take up Dick's invite to go hunting!
Nah, Dick will have made enough money for his work when he retires, based on his performance as vp. Wish I could run for vp and have the govt give my business oodles of contracts. Why I wouldn't have to work anymore!
Unless he really really enjoys going on talk shows denying reality.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Cheny and Bush do like the master says or else.
Do you really believe that Bush and Cheney are as stupid as they appear.
They have a gun to their heads.
Just because you are a prez or a vp doesn't mean you have a shred of power. prez and vp can get shot just as easy as anyone else can.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Oh, oh, I know what tonight's nightmare will be.
I hope George doesn't take up Dick's invite to go hunting!
Nah, Dick will have made enough money for his work when he retires, based on his performance as vp. Wish I could run for vp and have the govt give my business oodles of contracts. Why I wouldn't have to work anymore!
Unless he really really enjoys going on talk shows denying reality.

You know, I was afraid that some smart remark like how he was using his hunting partner for target practice, or something similar to come up. But, no I have on & off wondered about this long before that incident. And never did I think that he would do it himself!

Cheny and Bush do like the master says or else.
Do you really believe that Bush and Cheney are as stupid as they appear.

Yeah, I think you may have something there. Reading your post about Cheney being as dumb as he looks, I remembered an article that I had read about him a while back. Especially the following excerpt.

Following high school, Cheney earned an academic scholarship and attended Yale University in 1959. He decided after three semesters to take some time off from Yale, on account of difficulty with his studies. He saved up enough money and returned to Yale only to leave again the following semester, partly due to poor grades.

en.wikipedia.org...

But then again, he did go on to accomplish quite a bit. I'm neither defending nor rejecting my theory. I simply wanted some feedback. I appreciate it. Any further fedback is quite welcome!

[edit on 3/14/2006 by CyberKat]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Vice President Cheney could easily win the Republican Presidential nomination if he wanted to have it. 2008 will be the first time in a long while that neither an incumbent President nor Vice President will be running for President of the United States.

The simple fact is that Mr. Cheney does not want to run for President. If he did it would not be any easier to run as an incumbent because he would still need to win the party’s nomination which he would already have.

Also, Mr. Cheney and Mr. Bush are good friends, and even if they were not it is insane to think that Mr. Cheney would go around killing.

In short your post is not reflective of someone who understands how the nomination process works, or who [understands] anything about Mr. Cheney.

-- Boat

[edit on 14-3-2006 by Boatphone]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
Vice President Cheney could easily win the Republican Presidential nomination if he wanted to have it. 2008 will be the first time in a long while that neither an incumbent President nor Vice President will be running for President of the United States.

Well, probably if that statement were made a year or two ago, it would probably be a definate. Of course, when the Republicans were all on the same page, he would have won the nomination hands down. Now, though, with the party becoming divided over all the controversial things that Bush has been doing, Cheney's chief of staff being indited(sp?), etc... I don't know how sure of a thing that would be anymore.

But say he won the Republican nomination, he would (obviously) have to also win over the Democratic nominee, and with Bush's approval ratings at somewhere around 37% now, it seems as if a lot of people, Republicans included are not feeling so comfortable with the GOP.

Anyway, none of that was what I was even thinking. I was thinking more around the lines of that what I have read about the man....

In short your post is not reflective of someone who understands how the nomination process works, or who [understands] anything about Mr. Cheney.
.........actually, I do do a lot of reading about people in politics - I find it interesting, and for other reasons also, none being that I want to know Mr. Cheney........Like I was saying, from what I have read about the man, he strikes me as someone who doen't like to really work for anything. He sounds as if he would rather have things handed to him, and just skate by on a sort of pretense that he was more important than he was, you know, he sounds like he wants everything, but the less work involved, the better. So my thinking was simply that why bother to run for an election, do all that campaigning, etc.... when he could attain the same result without doing any of that, and without any opposition. As a matter of fact, I never said that it had even occurred to Cheney himself to do or say anything to put something like that in motion. Just because it crossed my mind, means nothing more than it is a theory that I somewhat entertain. After all, there's a saying, I forget it word for word, but that the Vice President is always one breath away from becoming the President.

Also, Mr. Cheney and Mr. Bush are good friends, and even if they were not it is insane to think that Mr. Cheney would go around killing.

You must be pretty chummy with the elite, or you believe what you see on "the news", or maybe I'm being sarcastic and I appologize for that, but how else could you possibly know if Bush & Cheney are good friends, just because that is the impression they want to give the public?

But, you are right, it would be totally insane on my part, and pretty stupid on Cheney's part to think that he would go around killing. People in positions like that never do the dirty work themselves....

Incidently, did you know that he has written a book entitled:
"Kings of the Hill: How nine Powerful Men Changed the Course of American History" - 1996.ISBN 07567586864 ? Pretty "interesting" (for lack of a better word) reading. But, great insight into the man............

The simple fact is that Mr. Cheney does not want to run for President.

You're some kind of mind reader

Hey, boatphone. In all sincerety, you are O.K. in my book. I wanted feedback from all angles, and you gave yours. I've read some of your other posts and although I rarely agreed with them, they are always well written and straight to the point. I enjoy reading them.

Cy

[edit on 3/14/2006 by CyberKat]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
Now, though, with the party becoming divided over all the controversial things that Bush has been doing, Cheney's chief of staff being indited(sp?), etc... I don't know how sure of a thing that would be anymore.

Hands down no question, Mr. Cheney would win the Republican nomination. It is pretty much always the case that the incumbant VP runs for the office of President of the United States.

He is very popular in the GOP. He would be the best pick.

But say he won the Republican nomination, he would (obviously) have to also win over the Democratic nominee, and with Bush's approval ratings at somewhere around 37% now

That poll does not reflect opinion of the Republicans who would be voting on his nomination. Also, polls are highly spurious.

Anyway, none of that was what I was even thinking. I was thinking more around the lines of that what I have read about the man.... Like I was saying, from what I have read about the man, he strikes me as someone who doen't like to really work for anything.

Vice President Cheney has been in public service for 37 years! He enjoys his work, and works hard. He has held countless positions in government. He is a self made man.

So my thinking was simply that why bother to run for an election, do all that campaigning, etc.... when he could attain the same result without doing any of that, and without any opposition.

I fail to see how (by having Mr. Bush have an accident) it would do any of the above. If someone was against Mr. Cheney they could still speak out against him. And he would still have to run a hard campaign.

It just wouldn't change anything. He would still need to run.

You must be pretty chummy with the elite, or you believe what you see on "the news", or maybe I'm being sarcastic and I appologize for that, but how else could you possibly know if Bush & Cheney are good friends, just because that is the impression they want to give the public?

No. But if you asked anyone in Washington, they could tell you that they are good friends.

Incidently, did you know that he has written a book entitled:
"Kings of the Hill: How nine Powerful Men Changed the Course of American History" - 1996.ISBN 07567586864 ? Pretty "interesting" (for lack of a better word) reading. But, great insight into the man............

I don't see how the fact that he wrote a book on American history, makes you think he is some kind of killer, or that his book might come into the nomination process at all. Many people in Washington have written books.

The simple fact is that Mr. Cheney does not want to run for President.

You're some kind of mind reader

No. Mr. Cheney has stated in public many times that he will not be runnning for public office ever again. He wants to spend time with his family.

Hey, boatphone. In all sincerety, you are O.K. in my book. I wanted feedback from all angles, and you gave yours. I've read some of your other posts and although I rarely agreed with them, they are always well written and straight to the point. I enjoy reading them.

Thanks very much. I enjoy posting on ATS, and sharing my views.

I love that everyone can think and do what they want. I just want people to know that just because someone is a republican it doesn't mean they are evil or anything.

-- Boat

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Diebold or not, there's no way Cheney would be elected, unless planes were flying into buildings left and right....and it's a fair bet the GOP knows this....

Even the most lackluster Dem candidate would beat out the evil emperor...and I'm pretty sure even Cheney harbors no other such illusions....

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Cyberkat,

Great minds think alike. I bet Dubya gets knocked off and Dick will finish the job...for the sake of humanity......in order to protect Amerkanz....Bush would have wanted it that way.....(By the way, I do beleive Cheney will be to blame should anything untoward happens to our president).

Then we will REALLY have a monstrous conspiracy on our hands, wont we.

new topics

top topics

join