It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judas Gospel To Be Published

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf

It was the Romans that arrested the Rabbi, Tried the Rabbi, and allegedly executed the Rabbi as a rebel.

Any one ever wondered why such a large number of troops was dispatched to arrest 1 man known to be accompanied by only 12 followers?

Actually, all four gospels portray the troop of arresting soldiers as coming from the Temple Guard, at the order of the Sanhedrim. The gospels portray Pontius Pilatus as being less enthusiastic about the procedings.

Most of the gospels don't differentiate very clearly between "Disciples" (what Christians think of as "the 12") and the larger group of Jesus' followers, his disciples, or students. In Luke 10, there are "the 72," who seem to be sort of junior disciples, or leutenants or something. They were supposed to go out at preach like John.

So it seems possible that the guard were sensitive to the possibility that Jesus would be with a large group. If the crowd HAD declared him king, they could be expected to be violent.

The gospel of John says they went out with the full panoply of war, which sounds like they expected a riot. Armor would give them a quick advantage over any local uprising, however.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Most of the gospels don't differentiate very clearly between "Disciples" (what Christians think of as "the 12") and the larger group of Jesus' followers, his disciples, or students. In Luke 10, there are "the 72," who seem to be sort of junior disciples, or leutenants or something. They were supposed to go out at preach like John.

But they had just finished the Passover feast. The only ones mentioned are the 12
and possibly the Women followers.

The question was not WHOthe troops were but How Many. Granted
most versions today are rather vague about the number saying things like group,
crowd and multitude. But other older versions ( and Im talking the last 50 years)
are a bit more specific as to the number. They say that Judas arrived with Captains,
Officers and a COHORT of men. Now depending on if it was a Full cohort or a reduced Cohort that is between 300 and 600 men plus officers. Generally speaking
there are 100 men to a century, 6 centuries to a Cohort and 10 Cohorts to a Legion.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
John 18 uses the Greek word "speiran" which is the term used for a Roman Cohort.

Matthew uses the same word, when Pilate has the full "governor's cohort" assembled at the Antoninia fortress.

While John uses the word Speiran, he is probably using the word as a Greek cognate for something grouped or rolled together. The old King James version had "band" of soldiers, which is probably what the author had in mind.

On the other hand . . . the greek text mentions "officers," plural. Does this mean a centurion, or more????

It certainly sounds odd. Yet we don't know what military practice was during the Passover meal temple guards. If they were performing a special action, the band may have been composed of a number of officers plus their attendants.

He also mentions "oplon," the weapons of war. Whic makes me think the author has in mind an arrest that was expected to cause a violent confrontation.

Think ATS "squads" serving a warrant at the branch Davidian compound outside of Waco.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's a shame that when it comes to religion everyone ransack each other like a pack of wolves. The bible was made(for those who do believe)as a guideline. Does it not say "thou shall love thy neighbor"?Many books or manuscript were written and in accordance to human nature it was cut, edited and made to what they thought the bible should be.We are so programed in life and so brainwashed that we cant see that it really does not matter what religion your from. What the basic fundamental of going to church? Is it not to worship? Because I been to a lot of churches in my lifetime and I am not an old individual. Every time you join a religion or church sooner or later you hear criticism as I have seen here. Is it not God's job to judge us? instead of all of these disputes, why not join together and share your beliefs like humans for once? I do not intend to bad mouth anyone nor I desire to offend anyone so i apologize if I have done such. Ever think that we are shown what we can grasp? Maybe it was Gods intention for some random individual to take them scripts out because we were not ready. Maybe Lucifer did it to blind us for we are so easily fooled. For my understanding religion should be about joining together and not eating each others necks. I wish you all the best of luck.

P.S. Maybe someday after the bickering has finished we will be revealed more of Gods plan and get to experience it. So keep an open mind maybe the revelation of the book of Judas(granted real or unreal) was only a test to see how we would respond to it.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MadGreebo

You christians are confusing. You revel in the idea jesus died for you and then in the same breath deny that the situation that brought it about was not part of the plan?

You sure are selective in your beliefs. :shk:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by KhieuSamphan

I doubt any Christian will reject the idea that Judas was doing the will of God when he betrayed Jesus.

No news there. It was necessary to fulfill prophecy for one, for two it was necessary for the big plan God had of redemption for man.

Judas was carrying out the will of God.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join