It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. introduces colorful new $10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The Treasury is introducing the new ten dollar bill today. It incorporates new technologies to discourage counterfeiting. Twenty and fifty dollar bills were also recently introduced to counter the counterfeiters and oddly, each time a new bill is introduced, counterfeiting increases somewhat, because the public finds itself confused about the changes. In the long run, the new designs are expected to curb the production of "funny money."

The new $10 bill starts to circulate Thursday, as the third more colorful bill designed to thwart counterfeiters is rolled out.

The new bill has color-shifted ink that changes the color of the numeral "10" in the lower right-hand corner from copper to green as the bill is tilted, and has a subtle background in shades of orange, yellow and red.

One of the most noticeable design changes is the portrait of Alexander Hamilton, the nation's first treasury secretary. While Hamilton's likeness is the same, it is no longer surrounded by an oval as on the old bill.

money.cnn.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

money.cnn.com
money.cnn.com

[edit on 2006/3/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

and oddly, each time a new bill is introduced, counterfeiting increases somewhat, because the public finds itself confused about the changes.

I think that it would be easier to pass off a fake bill early on it it's lifetime, because clerks, etc., many of who are high-school age, are unfamiliar with the new identity features. Then as the bill grows older, the fakes are caught more quickly.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
In time they will argue that issuing new bills does not discourage counterfeiting and then issue you some card to use... eg. VISA debit card.

Then they will say that such a card is subject to abuse, likely to be stole etc.

Then they will tatoo a number on your hand or forehead aka barcode and or inject a microchip in your arm.

Yeah we are marching towards one world government, YIPPEE!!

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Counterfeit money is a huge problem for alot of countries and its really hard to stay a step ahead of the Counterfeiters. Ive seen operations where they used bleached 1 dollar bills to Counterfeit larger bills so they had the real deal paper that US money uses. These people are really smart.

Im suprised the US didnt use a incorprate a hologram into the new design alot of countries have been using that too great effect. Its really hard to forge them.

denythestatusquo I wouldnt so worried about the US. Rumours surfaced in 2003 that the European Central Bank (EU) was quietly looking at putting RFID (radio frequency identification) tags in euro banknotes to combat fraud and money laundering.

These rumours have not been confirmed or denied as of yet.

link

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It certainly looks a lot more difficult to replicate.

Side note: I like it, very nice work.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Im suprised the US didnt use a incorprate a hologram into the new design alot of countries have been using that too great effect. Its really hard to forge them.

Some countries have introduce holograms, and money embedded with colorful plastic strips to make it harder to counterfeit. The reason the US has not done it too is because of tradition, our money has maintained a certain look over time and the US Treasury and the US government don't want to change that fact.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Our money had a distinctive, dignified look. But they changed it, don't kid yourself Westpoint. Our money is purple and pink like everybody else's, last time I looked in my wallet.

All I can ever think of when paying for something with this monopoly money (bereft of inherent value apart from association with this silly game): a line from the Simpsons, spoken by a Brazillian kidnapper admiring a bunch of loot, "Boy, our money sure is gay."

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Since the advent of the check card, my hands rarely touch money. I think the new bills have been tastefully rendered, maintaining a level of dignity, while making life harder for the crooks.

[edit on 2006/3/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
You think this money is colorful and "gay?" Wait until the new treasury notes are distributed (the notes that will be backed by gold). It's my understanding each denomination will have a specific color scheme (red, yellow, green, blue, pink, etc.)

Tell ya boys, I can't wait to have my money actually be worth something.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grafxgal
Wait until the new treasury notes are distributed (the notes that will be backed by gold). It's my understanding each denomination will have a specific color scheme (red, yellow, green, blue, pink, etc.)

Do you have a link for that?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

You think this money is colorful and "gay?" Wait until the new treasury notes are distributed (the notes that will be backed by gold). It's my understanding each denomination will have a specific color scheme (red, yellow, green, blue, pink, etc.)

when is this supposed to happen?

MMP

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

when is this supposed to happen?

Hopefully never. I wouldn't really put up a big fuss if it did happen, but I like what the mint has been doing with the newer bills. As ShadowXIX said, we have to stay ahead of the game.

new topics

top topics

join