It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

A400M News Update

page: 1
5
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Sounds like they are on track for first flight still in 2008. This is one cargo plane that has started in the last bit to pick up some of my interest. The first engine run sounds like it went well and no real problems are reported. heres the link by the way.
www.airbusmilitary.com...
I'm also interested in what some of you guys that have been on the forums think about the plane and the demand for it and if it will be able to fill the demand.




posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I quite like the A400 but one question I ask myself is 'couldn't we have got the An-70 sooner?' another one is 'so just how does this justify not following up the An-70 proposal, in what way is it better?' Clearly then there is much I don't know about it but it doesn't lkook that much different from the Antonov type which was rejected rather too quickly I thought.



posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I am not sure getting An-70 sooner would have been a good point, since several Europeant countries were already involved in very expensive fighter programs... Namely the Rafale and Eurofighter.
Moreover there's always the fear that European design departments could run out of work (hence the UCAV demonstrators) and in that pespective, taking the An-70 almost off the shelf was little defendable.
Then, should we mention the political decision of "buying Russian" (ok it's actually Ukrainian... but you get the idea) vs "buying Airbus" ?

On the other hand the price to pay is that we see the poor C-160s still in service, along with some old Hercs, while they would deserve a good rest, and that compromises projection capacities.

To answer your question Canada_EH I'm confident it will be able to fill the demand, because it's the result of a compromise to meet the needs of many countries.



posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Waynos, I primarily think you are an Europeanist, but in terms of you just said here, you are really not.

The powerplant consists of EPI’s TP400-D6 engine fitted with Ratier-Figeac’s FH386 propeller. The three-shaft, high-performance gas turbine engine and the 5.3 metre diameter, eight-bladed, composite propeller, give a combined power output of some 11,000 shaft-horsepower. The TP400-D6 / FH386 combination constitutes the most powerful turboprop power plant in the western world and will enable the A400M to attain cruising speeds and altitudes equivalent to today’s jet powered aircraft.

I think you are to more understander this meaningful paragragh words. If you say why you couldn't get An-70 earlier, I would ask you why you did not get C-141 earlier much more? Since NK-12 was fitted on An-22, the turboprop engine is the most powerful engine in this world, ps the oil price will be higher and higher. Yes, An-70 also fitted turboprop engine, but I wondered that cabin on An-70 even bit smaller than Il-76. If you European do wants a own heavy Cargo plane, the A400M is an only choise of yours.
Hai! Echoblade, I think more Franchs are Europeanist, what do you think what I said above?



posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Isn't the A400 using the same all-composite wings as used in the A350?


I'll see if I can find out more. I know the 350 is having horrible over-weight problems with its wings.



posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Kilcoo, it's not the same. There is currently no problem with the A400M, although at one point a weight increase had to be solved, like with almost any program. The A350 is a different matter since it's basically an A330 with an all new wing because, I'd say, they had to introduce something new to justifiy a new model.

Emile, for French and Europe, it's 50/50. I don't get your point with the C-141 which is an outdated aircraft, moreover one point with the A400M was not to use jet engines. I am not sure what you want me to comment but I think the A400M is overall the best solution for us.



posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I love the design... There has even been some rumours that the Finish air-force would buy these planes... But can this plane aslo be used in air-to-air refuelling...



I belive that one of the easiest ways to racon this plane is by looking at the propellers...



posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
I love the design... There has even been some rumours that the Finish air-force would buy these planes... But can this plane aslo be used in air-to-air refuelling...


Yup, up to three hose and drogue systems can be used simultaneously, both with internal fuel and special canisters for the cargo hold that integrate themselves into the whole onboard fuel system.




posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by echoblade
Emile, for French and Europe, it's 50/50. I don't get your point with the C-141 which is an outdated aircraft, moreover one point with the A400M was not to use jet engines. I am not sure what you want me to comment but I think the A400M is overall the best solution for us.


Well, my friend, in terms of what I see, if you just want a heavy Cargo, then you have alot of choises, but if you have any porpose as I has said above to save fuel, new turboprop engine etc. for example, you have to research own cargo to adapt your requests



posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
www.airbusmilitary.com...

check out the image of the test for the new engines just found it to be added to the original post.
Also have a video up of the test.

www.masterimage.fr...

[edit on 7-3-2006 by Canada_EH]



posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
boeing an japan worked on a comercial version of the unducted fan engine on a plane, the 7J7 back in the early 80's. they had a test plane flying but they dropped it for some reason




1985—7J7
After Airbus launches the 150-seat A320, Boeing promises a radical new airliner with advanced propeller engines on its tail. The 7J7 will burn 50 percent less fuel, Boeing says, with a wider cabin, and it will be ready by 1992. Boeing flies the new General Electric engine on a 727 test bed, but the project is dead by 1987, killed by a combination of lower fuel prices (which make fuel savings less valuable) and technical risks. Meanwhile Airbus gets its first big U.S. airline sales with the A320.

but they dropped it because of lower fuel prices as the 80's drew to a close



posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigx01
boeing an japan worked on a comercial version of the unducted fan engine on a plane, the 7J7 back in the early 80's. they had a test plane flying but they dropped it for some reason

1985—7J7
After Airbus launches the 150-seat A320, Boeing promises a radical new airliner with advanced propeller engines on its tail. The 7J7 will burn 50 percent less fuel, Boeing says, with a wider cabin, and it will be ready by 1992. Boeing flies the new General Electric engine on a 727 test bed, but the project is dead by 1987, killed by a combination of lower fuel prices (which make fuel savings less valuable) and technical risks. Meanwhile Airbus gets its first big U.S. airline sales with the A320.

but they dropped it because of lower fuel prices as the 80's drew to a close


Yeah, the AN-70 has an sfc about half that of a 767*


* Source: Bill Gunston



posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
One reason for dropping the diff engine was they ran into larger problems with reducing the noise of the engines and thats a huge deal with current airports becoming more and more surounded by big cities.



posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hey guys just a lil update on the A400. They have had the customers look at and accept the class 2 cockpit mock up. Also the first nose section is also complete. If you want to have a look at some pictures and some more detailed info check out the link.
The project is interesting me as I havn't heard a final verdict on the C-17 vs A400 matter that has been brought up in Canadian paralament. Personally I still like the C-17 best but the A400 is a interesting bird none the less.
www.a400m-countdown.com...



posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The 7J7 was an ultra efficient plane that used less fuel; because at that time, oil prices drop Airlines were not interested in that project. However the technology developed for the 7J7 became the 777...



posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Hey guys just a lil update on the A400. They have had the customers look at and accept the class 2 cockpit mock up. Also the first nose section is also complete. If you want to have a look at some pictures and some more detailed info check out the link.
The project is interesting me as I havn't heard a final verdict on the C-17 vs A400 matter that has been brought up in Canadian paralament. Personally I still like the C-17 best but the A400 is a interesting bird none the less.
www.a400m-countdown.com...


Yeah they will target the older hercs to replace them with the A-400m
Australia is still have some interest in the A-400m or just C130J the rest of the fleet, and other proposal to re engineer the H models



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
A400M first Horizontal Tail Plane to the Final Assembly Line

The reception of the first A400M Horizontal Tail Plane took place today at the EADS CASA final assembly line in San Pablo (Seville).

This Horizontal Tail Plane was sent from the EADS CASA facilities in Tablada where it is produced, to the structural test facilities of the Final Assembly Line, where it will undergo a series of tests before its assembly on the aircraft.

Today’s event represents a special milestone for EADS CASA since this Horizontal Tail Plane is the first A400M component delivered to the Final Assembly Line where assembly, final integration, and flight test of the A400M will take place.
link

Good news for A400 fans and hopefully back on track



posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Isn't the A400 using the same all-composite wings as used in the A350?


I'll see if I can find out more. I know the 350 is having horrible over-weight problems with its wings.


Yes the A400M uses an all composite wing, first one left Wales earlier this month and the A350 will use the same construction method for its wings but I dont see how you know the A350 is having 'horrible over-weight problems with its wings' because they dont exist at the moment and the fact they were composite were only released earlier this month.

If you meant the A380, then I also dont know what you are talking about, because its having no weight problems with its wings and has just been certified at a particular weight that everyone was expecting.



posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well they finally updated the news section of the A400 webpage. Honestly the thing comes in on the 20th of Feb doesn't get posted till almost a month later.

Anyways it good news and maybe the Main Fuselage and wings will be in this month. Can't wait to see this plane assembled. Even though Canada went with the C-17 this plane will deffently be in use by some major EU countries.





Link: www.airbusmilitary.com...

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]



posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm seems old France and Germany are up to thier old protectionist tricks




France and Germany are throwing up hurdles to a NATO plan to purchase C-17s to bolster the alliance's much-needed strategic airlift capability.

Their opposition is seen as stemming partly from a desire to protect their own industrial interests in the form of the Airbus Military A400M, even though that project continues to experience delays. The latest setback involves flight testing of the first TP400-D6 turbofan, which has slipped to the summer from the end of March, according to aircraft and engine-maker representatives.

A400M Engine Tests Slip


Ask Pratt and Whitney Canada who was shafted by Airbus in the engine selection phase.



new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join