It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just got in a car accident!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am leaving a parkinglot and waiting behind this jerkwad who is pulling up to a busy street ...he's like 6 freakin feet from the street...no signal on his bigass truck and no way to go straight so I am wondering WTH is going on...so...I am pretty patient for a bit and then I am wondering if someone had parked the freakin truck there or what!

So I'm trying to see, and then I see he's on the phone...OK, so maybe he's the careful type trying to wrap up a call before entering traffic-OK, I can respect him for that, but lets get a move on buddy you've got someone behind you...hello?

I was like 10 feeet behind him so I start edging up to kind of spur him on a bit and indeed, he inches forward...and then stops at the edge- you know waiting for a break in traffic one would assume

But nooo....suddenly I see his reverse lights come on and I'm like WTH? HE's not going to reverse is he? But oh yeah, and not just a little, but the man floors it and before I could throw it in reverse and get out of the way-SMASH- he had my grill through my radiator!!!!!!

OMGWTF!!!????

I had my three kids with me too or I'd have ripped him a new one bad. As it was I went off on him and my 6 year old sid

"WOW this was a real car accident, huh?" and I say yeah...and he said "but it was an ACCIDENT" and I said Well, yes..." and he said...well you yelled at him lkike he did it on purpose or something.

*sigh*

So I explained I yelled at him because I was angry that it was an accident that didn't have to happen had he been a good responsible driver with half a brain and 2 oz of sense not to drive up over someone in reverse!!! :bash:

The guys excuse... "I deliever stuff all day, and I've been busy today and I was talking on the phone and not thinking and then I needed to go back for the snowblower and just didn't think to look behind me..."

#@%^!%)$&*(_#@&RT@)(+TR&*(NY!(*FIYHN ILI_[*!!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
oh my goodness!

I am SO glad you and your lil ones are ok...firstly.

Secondly...what a JERK! I swear, cell phones are NO damn good in the vehicle. If you wanna talk, PULL OVER...and not in the parking lot, either.

Again...so glad you all are ok.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Glad you and your kids are ok.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
oh my goodness!

I am SO glad you and your lil ones are ok...firstly.

Yeah we're all fine, I thought I might go into cardiac arrest out of sheer anger, but no...everyone was fine...the kids actually thought it was cool...well except my reaction
That bothered them and really, it wasn't *that* bad, but they don't like to see me upset at all of course.

I just can't believe I sat behind him for like 5 minutes thinking he was just trying to be responsible and not get on the road while on the phone, when in reality he was a freakin idiot!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by think2much
I just can't believe I sat behind him for like 5 minutes thinking he was just trying to be responsible and not get on the road while on the phone, when in reality he was a freakin idiot!!!

You did not push his truck into incoming taffic, so the Darwin award God punished you for failling to clean the gene pool. Geniuses with cellphone fried brain may ram into your car at any moment, stay alert.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
LOL

and now someone tags this thread "riding to close"

Uh, hello? We weren't in traffic and I was at least 10 feet behind this guy-PARKED waiting for him....and really it was more like 20 feet but no matter PARKED 10 feet behind someone who is not moving isn't rising too close anyway!

and then I began to close that 10 ft gap and he moved 6 feet up to the edge of the road...just because I couldn't go from D to R and get out of his hauling ass in reverse way before hw plowed into me does in no way mean I was "riding to (or too) close!"

anyway, his insurance called me yesterday and they are sending someone for an estimate, cutting me a check, giving me a rental etc.... or so they are promising all this for now... we'll see. I'm still pissed!!! :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Don't let this go! Insurance companies have a way of dragging their feet.

Call call call and call some more to keep the papework shuffling at a minimum. They would rather "get rid of you" if you are a pest.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
thanks-I will. If they don't have things happening Monday I wil be calling.

SO far thought they *seem* like they are on top of things...I figure admitting the blame and making promises is a pretty good sign so far...we'll see...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Glad everyone is okay think2much!

I agree with Rouschkateer too, get up that insurance companies "you know what" and also make them pay for seeing a doctor so you can be sure there are no injuries from the accident. Kids are pretty resilient on the little ones like that but us being bigger it does not take much for injury to occur, take for instance my wife, she has not been in an accident in at least 4 years and just recently started having shoulder/neck paings again, to the point where she drove herself to the emergency room at 4 in the morning.
This is definetly not something to mess around with! No matter how small it seemed.
Good luck think2much.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Thanks Dustinthewind-really though we are all fine. It was a jolt, but I really think we're all A-OK...maybe since it was from the front?

I do know what you are talking about with those nasty neck injuires though. BTDT when this absent-minded professor drove up my @$$ because he decided to floor it through a RED light straight into the line of backed up traffic on the other side-namely me.

It was about 1 day later I was in the ER and they collared me and were taking X-rays worried about my neck-the pain was excruitiating. Worst headache I ever had-thought I would die. many problems followed as well as physical therapy...but I wont complain about ultrasound massage, heat packs and hand massages. I got so used to them I was sad to be healed.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

It was about 1 day later I was in the ER and they collared me and were taking X-rays worried about my neck-the pain was excruitiating.

That's odd, front impacts at less than 5 mph does not cause neck injuries. Whiping forward can cause death, but under something like 100 g's.
It is the whipping back the causes neck injuries.

Did you have seat belt on? Any pictures of your wreched car?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

It was about 1 day later I was in the ER and they collared me and were taking X-rays worried about my neck-the pain was excruitiating.

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
That's odd, front impacts at less than 5 mph does not cause neck injuries. Whiping forward can cause death, but under something like 100 g's.
It is the whipping back the causes neck injuries.

Did you have seat belt on? Any pictures of your wreched car?

I think you are mistaking one accident for another. This recent one, I was hit in front by a big truck suddenly backing up-no injuries.

this accident where I ended up in the hospital with the bad neck I was hit from behind-while I was sitting completely still, foot on the break, in a traffic jam just beyond an intersection I had crossed...

...the guy who hit me was going about 45pmh as he had been going about 35-40 before he "stepped on it" to get through the yellow light turning red and plowed dead on into me-I hit my head on the steering wheel and blacked out momentarily, when I came out of it, people were already surrounding my car and I was like WTF?

The police issued a citation to the absent minded prof when they got there and asked if I was "OK" I said I didn't think so, I was a bit dizzy, nauseas and didn't feel well...the cop told me to "sit down and not drive till I felt better-or call someone to drive me home" what an idiot-he just figured no blood, no harm.

I went home and kept having this rush of pressure from the back of my head to my face and by the next day or so...can't remember if it was one day or two really, anyway...thought I would die...wanted to...my god the pain in my head-excruitiating.

anyway, thats the diff between that accident and this one...I think I'm dandy from this one as I said.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Yes, I got mixed up sorry.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yes, I figured, so I thought I'd clarify with details.

No harm, no foul, but certainly didn't want anyone thinking I was suddenly crying "oh my neck oh my neck" from this recent accident! That would be silly at best, fraud at worst!

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
ARGH!!!!!!!!!

So to sum it up, what is currently making me pull my hair out today read my quick message to the insurance agent I sent with the online book value of my van...of which he was offering me a fraction of to "total" out my vehicle.

Mike, click here to see where I find the base prices for the van of mine according to NADA, ...which is what you say you use, right?

I understand the whole idea of "totaling it out" because of it's age and the value vs repair cost, however there is no way I am letting this van's prefection and necessity in my life be compensated by for some measley amount that is for starters, below book value, and does not take into consideration the exceptional condition this particular van was in prior to this tragedy and I do not want to be further victimized by a travisty of justice in this situation. Not to be dramatic, but this has dramtically affected my family as I am sure you are aware of by now.

The sum you first proposed wont begin to repair the A/C unit, the hood, which is bent and warped to not be functional "as- is", or the lights, which are all necessities-let alone all of the "cosmetic" damage-of which I could live with.

Yes it is "driveable" but it is not practically functional to drive it "as is" without repairs being eventually made-repairs which must be made, not for cosmetic reasons, but for the continued function of the vehicle.

So I don't know what you are empowered to do in this situation, but please make sure you do all you can on your end to make this right. I know I am not your client, but surely you can see it is even in your client's best interest to make this situation right.

This van was perfection, the maintenance records kept since the day it was purchaed new attest to this. I cannot come close to finding another like it to replace it, nor repair it for next to nothing....which is really what you are offering.

Thank you, (me)

ARGH I am so aggravated and I told him on the phone I am considering sueing his client due to fact it was the manager of the business, on the business's property, in a company truck that had incorrect and expired registration etc...because the laws he cites regarding 'totaling out a vehicle" when costs reach 75% of the book value, do not begin to cover the facts this van was in perfect condition, etc. and the situation of blatant neglectful admitted to fault on his clients side! :bash::bnghd: ARGH!

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Last saturday I was very close to my own incident.

I was looking over my shoulder to get in the right lane to beable to turn off, and the truck in front of me decides to lock his brakes on while I am looking over my shoulder. I turn my head around and slam the breaks on as hard as I can.

Pretty loud screech of the tires, and the front end alittle sideways, a few looks from the cars around me and all was ok.

Was my own fault, but thankfully all was well.

These can be such a headache and can happen in the blink of an eye.

:bnghd:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
BTDT but thankfully good reflexes and a good driver I am.

but yeah things can happen in a blink of the eye...

this just pisses me off because there was absolutely no excuse for this idiot to just decide to haul ass backwards into me yk??? ARGH!

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This is almost pathetic, but I will tell you anyway. I was in a accident in 1998. It was a single car accident. The driver fell asleep blah blah blah, it wasn't until a year later they discoverd my back was broke and it was and error on the hospital diagnosis. If I told you the whole story you wouldn't believe it anyway. I was going to sue the hospital for misdianosis and they told me I couldn't cause I couldn't prove my back wasn't broken before the accident.
Go figure.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thats why dumb people who fail in highschool are truck drivers. Never paying attention to anything. Thats why they have no clue what the answers on the tests are b/c they never paid attention in class.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
THE MAIN THING IS THAT YOU ARE SAFE AND YOUR KIDS ARE SAFE...BUT AS A WHOLE EVERYONE WAS SAFE...AND THE LIFE SAFE.BUT WHEN WE ARE SITTING ON A VEHICLE WE DONT HAVE TO USE THE CELL PHONES.

new topics

top topics

join