It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cartoon protest hits Canada.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Today around 2,500 people protested the publication of the Muhammad cartoons. Do we need another thread covering these protests around the world? No, not really but there are some important things to note about how Muslim-Canadians are dealing with this issue.

www.cbc.ca

They called for more respect for Islam and demanded an end to the publication of the images. Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the Prophet, favourable or otherwise, to prevent idolatry.

Police officials said the Canadian protests remained peaceful, unlike some violent protests in other countries that have killed about 45 people in total over three weeks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The protest was peaceful. No burning of buildings. No signage calling for death. No harm came to Ronald McDonald.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...
The large, diverse crowd ignored cold-weather warnings to attend the protest and grimaced through a bitter wind, waving flags and holding up placards for hours on Sunday.

A diverse group.

www.canada.com

Protesting not only the cartoons but condemning violence.

canoe.ca

Rob Delaney, Liberal member of provincial parliament for Mississauga West, said he was supporting the protest - even though he's not Muslim - because all Canadians should respect one another's customs, practices and traditions.

"We as Canadians celebrate the differences that contribute to the vibrance and strength of our country," Delaney told the crowd.

"We are not us and them, we are the same people, who practice many faiths or even no faith at all," he said.

"Our dialogue with Canadians today comes back to the issue of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you."

We are all Canadians. On the world scale we are all human. We are all brothers. The violence must end.

While some Muslims are protesting others are saying enough is enough.

the Muslim Canadian Congress said the time had come for the demonstrations to stop, saying the were inflaming tensions around the world.

Congress spokesman Tarek Fatah said protests around the world are being used by Islamic extremists as motivation to spread violence.

I'm glad someone gets it.

He also said boycotts of Danish products - started after Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published the cartoons - are without merit.

"There is no justification for the boycott of goods from Denmark or attacking Danish products or the flag because now even in Canada we've had four periodicals that have printed these cartoons," he said.

"What are we going to do now, protest against Canada?"

A voice of reason.

www.cbc.ca
Muslim paper to welcome free speech with 'civility'

The Islamic Supreme Council of Canada will soon launch a newspaper called the Muslim Free Press in response to the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad that appeared in two Alberta-based publications.

"All interested Canadians will have the opportunity to express their opinions freely but with civility," the council said of the new paper, which will be officially unveiled in Toronto on April 15.

This is how we (Canadians) are dealing with current events. Not with violence, but with hope that we can all get along.
I hope people in the countries where violence is occurring (Syria, Lebanon) look towards Canada as an example. The rioters must come to understand that they are being manipulated. 45 people have needlessly lost their lives. The violence, the hate must stop.

edit on Sep 23rd 2014 by Djarums because: Removed photograph at request of subject
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Glad to see it done right....

Great post, Umbrax.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Good find!

Muslims the world over should take note of how Canadian muslims deal with the controversy.

"We are not us and them, we are the same people, who practice many faiths or even no faith at all."

If only the whole world operated on this principle. I don't suppose this piece of news was picked up by the MSM?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
In Canada the CBC is as mainstream as it gets amd Canada.com is owned by media giant CanWest.

We will have to wait and see how the big guns in the US handle this news.
My crystal ball says if you blink you will miss it on CNN and FOX. I get the feeling they will busy reporting on Pakistan.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Generally, I think there is a HUGE differenc e between western countries - liberal democracies - and Arab countries, where it is not understood that there can be a complete separation of government and a free press

One would be more than astonished, if Western countries

would go violent like they do in Arab countries where the people do not know about freedom of press and probably have never seen the cartoons yllands-Posten at all but be onbly manipulated by their local Imams.

But since not only the Canadian newsmagazine Western Standard, but also The Free Jewish Press in Canada had printed (either some of or all) the 12 cartoons, I know that the Calgary police have been asked to lay charges over the cartoons by the Calgaray based Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.

The President of the Islamic Council, Syed Soharwardy, said they would try to have Calgary police investigate for hate crimes.

"This is a provocation of Canadians and an insult to our religion," he [Syed Soharwardy] said. "We are convinced that within the boundaries of Canada there is a way that we can prosecute these people. The whole Muslim community is seriously looking into this and consulting with lawyers." (Reuters)

and

Organizers also collected signatures for a resolution calling for an

"unconditional apology to the Muslim world for the blasphemous expression by the governments of Denmark and all other countries where the cartoons have appeared in print."

The resolution also seeks apologies from all the newspapers that reprinted the cartoons.

Ahmad Shehab, director of the Coalition of Muslim Organizations, told the crowd: "We won't burn embassies or flags here," but urged a continuing boycott of Danish products, saying, "We will burn their economy down."
(Toronto Star)

• Did your Canadian media wrote how this legal issues the Islamic Supreme Council asked for went on then and how is the outcome ?

• How is the discussion now about a change of laws on the streets and in the parliament in Canada?

• What about "media codes" - is there a call within the press agencies that would commit journalists to "prudence" when reporting on Islam and other religions?

* Tagged ATS related threads

[edit on 20-2-2006 by Riwka]

• posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:09 PM
    link   
    In the Middel-east: They called for more respect???

They are willing to: 1 degree murder
    They dont give a s... for "others" opinion
    They burn our houses (embassys)
    They burn our Flags
    They don't respect our religion
    They dont respect our democraty and free word

And they want an apology???

As I see it, respect is somthing you first give! and then you maby get it back!

It is not wise, to throw with stones, when you live in a greenhouse!

Personly, I have several Muslim and Jewes frinds! and i love them!
    They know that the cartoons was not a ment to affend there religion or the profet Muhammed. But to test the tolerence of the free word in Denmark!

P.S.: there have also been cartoons of: Moses and Christ!!!
    and the U.S. Persident and the Danich Prime Minister and the rest of the World

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:26 PM
    link   
    2/3rds of the known world has published the cartoons. Do Muslims expect an apology from the 5 billion non-muslims? Talk about arrogance....

[edit on 20-2-2006 by Nakash]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 05:48 PM
    link   
    Great post Umbrax.

To try and answer a few of Riwka's questions:

Yes, our media has mentioned the attempted charges against the Western Standard. As I understand it, prosecuters have declined to press any charges.

If anyone is talking about changing our laws, I haven't heard about it. Very rarely do I hear complaints about our hate-crime laws from Canadians. Other people in other countries may not like them, but they don't have to live here.

This was released by the Council on American-Islamic Relations Canada:

Canada has lived up to its principles. Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay have eloquently emphasized responsible expression, condemned violent action and called for a greater understanding of Islam and Muslims. Canadian media, with the exception of a few small publications, have exercised responsibility in their use of free speech.

...snip...

This collective response speaks volumes about the values that we share as one nation -- values that bind us together in citizenship and a common humanity.

Canada's response has been unique and has struck the right balance between freedom of expression, and the legal and moral right of citizens to be protected from publications promoting hate and racism.

...snip...

As Muslims, and as Canadians, we say to our nation: you have made us proud!

www.caircan.ca...

And it yes, it did make the news.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:03 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Riwka

The President of the Islamic Council, Syed Soharwardy, said they would try to have Calgary police investigate for hate crimes.

UPDATE:

No charges for publishing Muhammad cartoons

Local Muslims are disappointed the Crown prosecutor's office has recommended no criminal charges be laid against two publications that printed cartoons they find offensive.

"I told them, I disagree with you," said Syed Soharwardy, president of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.

Soharwardy said the community is still considering a civil lawsuit against those who published the cartoon.

As well, it plans to begin lobbying for legislative changes so that offensive remarks or depictions of any religious figure are considered a crime.

[edit on 22-2-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:25 PM
    link   

if it makes sense at all to be upset that much because of cartoons like this:

It doesn't make sense to get upset over any cartoons. Muslims have some restrictions on make representations of living things, this is a reaction against idolatry, similar to jewish custom of not having a cult statue of god. It makes no sense for muslims to actually get worked up over the idolatry aspect of these mohammed cartoons, since they aren't made by muslims. Some of the cartoons aren't insulting at all. Others clearly are, and I can understand being insulted when someone tries to insult you.

But, in the end, some of these peopel are protesting that their religion should be respected. It shouldn't. All ideas are up for consideration and criticism, merely because some ideas are religious ideas doesn't mean that they should get special treatment.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 01:21 AM
    link   
    Yet another prime example of how Canada promotes peace. Not through legal policy, but through diversity.

Canada prides itself on peace.

I also heard a remark saying something to the effect of "We cannot respect them, because they are not respecting us". (our flags/ embassies etc.).
    (And no, im not referring to the above post... its a few back.)
    This is exactly how ignorance escalates into violence. Both sides disagree with each other, and refuse to alter until the other ceases disagreement.
    Luckily, that is not the way of Canada.
    We tend to actually listen to each other with an open mind. and I mean actually listen, not just hear them.

I am proud of you Canada. Peace through open conversation of concerns and information.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:38 PM
    link   
    If you think Canada is always peaceful with Muslims and other groups not stirring up trouble from time to time, you haven't been to Concordia University, or witnessed the Jewish tombs smashing of last year

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:14 AM
    link   
    to johnsky!

I know that you not are referring to my post! but how can we start pease with people who dont listen to other's opinion???

As I see it, there only come demands from the middeleast! Europe must respect the Arabian conuntrys - but the middeleast dont give a f... for ouer laws and traditions? They want respect, but dont respect others???

Why should a Prime Minister apology for a private company? - Why must a whole country take responsibility for what 1 or 12 persons do?

Do you want to take responsibility for others stupid mistakes? I dont belive that! Why should I??? or my country???

new topics

top topics

join