It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vagabond is virtually homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Well, home is all I have got actually, and it's not my home.
When I woke up this morning, I owned one pair of jeans and one shirt, unless you count the oil and dust stained stuff in the garage I used to use for work.
400 dollars in textbooks- poof- gone, even my notes from school and all of the papers I've written for my classes.
My only real asset, my truck, won't start now either.

Some piece of filth broke into my truck and took my bags last night (i'm visiting my dad and had virtually everything I own still in the truck. So here I am, a broke college student, and I can hardly claim to own a god danged thing of any utility at all.

The tough part is that my mom and dad would front me the cash for some new clothes and books in a heartbeat, but my conscience just won't let me accept the offer. For the first two years after highschool, and again for a few months after I got out of the Marines, I've been completely worthless, and they've been infinitely patient with me.

I'm only having to pay for a portion of my college expenses because my grandpa some money for that for my brothers and I (not a lot, but it's putting me through the first two years at a community college), and I even sort of feel bad about that, so I can't let myself take anymore help.

The only silver lining is that it wasn't even that long ago that I managed to get a very small credit card on my own, so I can get some clothes and basic school supplies right away and the pay it down in a few weeks (but now I've gotta balance a full time job with an 18 credit load, at least for a while).

Long story short- I'm ready to start killing people.

Anyone else got good news to share?

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What size do you wear. I have more clothes than I can ever wear thanks to a shopaholic mother in law. u2u me!!!

I'm on an upswing and I can help if you want.
I've been down and I know about pride but you would do the same for others is the shoe was on the other foot right.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
that sucks and know what else does-credit debt.

So I say, swallow your pride and make a deal with your parents-no hand outs but you'd be glad to borrow some money for some clothes and you'll pay it off thrugh work you will do for them...painting, landscaping, stuff around the house-washing their vehicles-whatever. This keeps your integrity and solves your problem without creating debit or needing a job that would stress you out while in school.

Thats MHO and advice and damn...just keep your head up and don't be so hard on yourself man, no one is worthless (well, nearly
)

and for goodness sake, where is your GI Bill man? That should be bringing in some money even if your tuition is being paid in part by your grandfather's gift. The GI Bill cash comes straight to you depending on credit hours, right?

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The Vagabond, We have a spare room if you need a place for a few weeks or so. Won't charge any rent but ya gotta help with the dishes and take out the trash and stuff. Ohio is a bit more than a stones throw from California, but maybe you need a change..... LOL.
Wish you the best dude.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Perhaps there are some of us with suggestions that can help you improvise, adapt and overcome.

The hardest but best thing to do is accept help where you can find it for now.

I recommend you change your standard pattern for a short time. Replace some of your clothes from the used clothing store instead of Wal-mart. It the cost will be a tenth of the outlet stores.

The pawn shop and the army navy surplus store can also be useful for misc items cheap.

Your local trustee may provide vouchers for clothing and stuff sometimes.

Your college may be able to donate some used textbook items under the circumstances.

I know it is hard to ask, but sometime it is best.
The funny thing is, you may squirm while asking, but most of the time people are glad they were able to help. It makes them feel good.

Check this link out Change the state to the one you live in, and leave the keyword blank.

Best of Luck

[edit on 2/18/06 by makeitso]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Wow, I certainly appreciate all the offers of help and advice. I didn't know just how caring my fellow ATSers were.

Anyway, I've been formulating my plan throughout the day and have pretty much figured out how I'm gonna make things come together. I sorta freaked earlier today and got really stressed out, but at a certain point the shock and rage wear off, especially when you spend the afternoon around my little brother; his life makes mine look like one big friggin rose garden.

All it really adds up to now that I've had time to plan is that I'll have to manage my time much better, and for a month or two I'm going to look as broke as I have been ever since I went back to school. Not really easy, but doable; I think I can manage it without asking for help, without burying myself in debt, and without blowing my 4.0 GPA.

It'll be something to look back on when I've got it worked out. I've been told that nothing worth being proud of ever happens on a good day. I'm still not all smiles right now, but I've got a bead on the situation and it aint the end of the world; just a considerable thorn in my side.

Thanks again for all the offers and advice, but I think I'll be fine. Worst case scenario, I'll probably look like crap for a while, have to ask my parents for a little help, and may have to drop one of my classes- although I consider 2 of those 3 items completely unacceptible, but that's a fairly non-apocalyptic worst-case scenario.

As for the question about my GI Bill- I don't get it or anything else. After I got injured at SOI I had problems with the Naval Hospital, got fed up and acted rashly. As a consequence, I lost my General Discharge and gained a few months in Corrective Custody before being shown the door. I hear you can get that sort of thing reviewed and possibly overturned, but I've never seen the point; I legitimately screwed up and cost myself the GD that I could have gotten, so I part of me says that it's my responsibility to live with that.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hey Vagabond I know this may not be of much help right now but maybe you should apply for the Conspiracy Masters Forum which will be getting a slice of the advertising pie.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Any little bit helps and if you get too far into debt this could help you out a bit(or alot depending on how successfull it is)

I have complete confidence in your writing abilities btw
You don't get a Red Bar for being a lazy poster

[edit on 19-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I've had my eye on CM for a while, but I really don't think I have very much yet that I could submit with my application. I've got a few projects on the back burner that will make for good samples.

I've also been making some inroads with the local paper with an eye towards landing a job in print. I'm probably going to start trying to do a little freelance reporting even this summer when I've got a little more time.

So I'll get that eventually, but I can afford to be patient. I'll be back home late today (still working on my truck here at my dads) and tomorrow I'll be going to look into the job that I plan on using to get me out of this mess.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow. Unlucky. I guess that makes you a vagabond for real...:/
If you ever need some clothes, I'll send you a wooly jumper.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I've always been a vagabond; my residence and life tend to change radically ever 1-4 years through my entire life so far. I'm -almost- used to it... almost.

Again thanks for all the offers, but I'm a lot less rattled than I first was. I guess I just got too comfortable in my routine and the Universe decided to kick me in the butt. Somebody up there apparently wants me to reevaluate how I handle my time and money.

I'm really humbled by all the offers guys, thanks again.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It cant be that bad.

how much study is an 18 credit load?

cause i have 42 contact hours a week. thats 42 hours of class.

plus there is out of class study and stuff

i get no help from my parents, i have to work for every thing.
thank god my corse only costs $270 a year.

some of the international students with me have to pay rent, $11,000 a year in tuition, buy food, and they are doing the same corse as me, so same hours.

you said you got a house? and a truck?

and you got parents that at least do want to help you out, but your just to proud to accept it.

stop whinging and do something about it i say.

but i suppose being in more or less the same sitution, i should offer advice.

i have picked up some pretty good clothes off seats in parks and shops and stuff, people just forgot about them.

you could just borrow books from a libary for free, and if so inclined you need not return them.

as for food, you can always eat stuff inside the supermarket.

or get stuff from the deli, take off the barcode you get with it before you get to the register. theres a million easy ways to get buy.

problem is getting alcohol. its harder. but if your not fussy still incredibly cheap

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
He was having a bad day and venting-not whining.

but i suppose being in more or less the same sitution, i should offer advice.

i have picked up some pretty good clothes off seats in parks and shops and stuff, people just forgot about them.

you could just borrow books from a libary for free, and if so inclined you need not return them.

as for food, you can always eat stuff inside the supermarket.

or get stuff from the deli, take off the barcode you get with it before you get to the register. theres a million easy ways to get buy.

problem is getting alcohol. its harder. but if your not fussy still incredibly cheap
NO, I think the real problem with your "solution" is Vagabond may just have an ounce of freakin integrity...my God I hope so.

I wouldn't go around telling people not to whine and be more like you, until your character, not your situation proves worthy to do so.

Have another drink off the wino in the park you just stole his coat from on your way to steal books from the library so college students who need them can't find them...GAH! I just can't even go on...

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
That's pretty shabby tiddly54
Most of what you said is blatant theft, not even covered up under some half-hearted disguise of honesty.

Good luck Vagabond. About the only suggestion I can make is Ramen. Lots and lots of Ramen. Not sure about where you're at, but here (WA) it's 5 for a buck when it's not on sale, sometimes you can get it cheaper even. I personally am not a very picky eater, so when I was trying to really save some money a couple of years ago, I basically lived off of it for a couple of months. Not the healthiest diet, and it gets old pretty quick, but it's kinda neat when you realize that you're full for less than $0.50. Hell, a whole weeks worth of dinner would cost me less than a single meal at McDonald's.

think2much had a good idea though too--you really should suck it up and ask for a loan from your parents. I've had to do it a handful of times myself, and it really stinks--there's little else in this world I hate as much, with the exception of the Olsen twins and maybe Britney Spears--but sometimes it's the only thing you can do. And it is definitely better than seeing a $500 credit limit (or whatever) pile up with interest (and late fees as always is my case) to over $1K.

Good luck in whatever happens

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Sorry for your problems, but as I'm sure you know, they're only temporary. You've got the attitude, ability, and desire to be a success, and that will happen.

Here's the best and only advice I can give - if your parents are able and willing to help, let them.. Nothing on Earth will give a parent more satisfaction than assisting a son or daughter that is really trying. Now, "enabling" behavior is a whole other issue, but I don't think that's what we're dealing with here.

Don't deny them the pleasure of helping you out, especially if you really need it. Believe me, it will make them much happier to help out and see you succeed than have you needlessly miserable. Their ultimate reward will be to see you happy and successful. I'm very serious.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

you said you got a house? and a truck?

More appropriately, I have a room. I keep up my grandmother's yard and house, and help her raise my dead-beat aunt's daughter in exchange for a room. Like I said, home is all I've got, and it aint mine.

As for the truck; I worked my butt off to afford it and I work my butt off to keep the dang thing running, because I'm above stealing one.

and you got parents that at least do want to help you out, but your just to proud to accept it.

You're dang right I am. My parents are great and I love them to death, but I owe it to them and myself to sort my own life out now. What kind of grown man comes home from the USMC and starts mooching off his folks during what are supposed to be the best years of their lives?

If it offends you that I choose to blow off a little steam talking to my friends in the rant forum, which is designed for such purposes, show yourself the door; there are other forums.
As for do something about it, what the hell do you think I'm doing? I've turned down every bit of help I've been offered, accepted every bit of advice I've been offered (save yours), and things will be good as new in a two months tops.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be the prick who "picked up" my seabag and back pack friday night, would you? You're a petty thief, and that's disgusting. You can tell yourself they've forgotten them all you like, but we both know dang well that you're jacking stuff from people who made the mistake of setting something down and walking away or turning their backs for a few minutes. If that's where your character is, enjoy it while it's good and keep an eye on your karma, but I've got my integrity.

I think we've pinpointed your problem amigo. I've got nothing against a little whiskey now and then, but I've got a thought or two for anyone who burns cash on booze when he's so shy on cash that he needs to go cheap on it.

I probably wont be drinking much till the semester's over, but when that comes around me and a couple of buddies are splitting the cost of some Maker's Mark, Gold Label.

By the way guys, another thing hit me recently that I'd forgotten all about. I've got a really nice tax return coming since I was earning so much the first half of last year, but then left work to go back to school. The more I think about all this, the less tragic it all seems, I've gotta say. You know how when something unexpected first hits you it just takes a while to settle down and take stock of how much of it is serious and how much of it is strictly emotional?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
By the way guys, another thing hit me recently that I'd forgotten all about. I've got a really nice tax return coming since I was earning so much the first half of last year, but then left work to go back to school. The more I think about all this, the less tragic it all seems, I've gotta say. You know how when something unexpected first hits you it just takes a while to settle down and take stock of how much of it is serious and how much of it is strictly emotional?

An absolute thumbs up
Vagabond ... on everything you said above the quoted section!

As for the quoted section ... Ah-Ha, what's that you found? A tidy lil' refund to help through troubled times?!

Personally, I have to agree with you in regards to "When it seems things couldn't get worse"-scenarios. The initial panic mode is usually followed by "regathering your eggs", so to speak, and more often than not the answers/solutions seems to come out of nowhere. The timing of which can often seem eerily coincidental.

It's all character building nonetheless, and you seem to have quite the mature, level-headed approach to the situation.

Good Job!

p.s. If you do need anything, please feel free to U2U.
Jon

top topics

join