It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer breakthrough!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Okay five minutes ago I heard on the 570 a.m. radio station (WKBN) news report that reasearchers found an enzyme (I think thats how you spell it) that is found in 90% of the different types of cancer cells it had a name but I forgot what it was so if anyone else heard about this story I don't care through what news station would they please inform me what the name of the enzyme is? Anyway they said that now that they know this they start to work on a cure to target the cancer cells enzyme and kill it without letting the cancer spread (even though they said it would take years of study on the enzyme and cancer patients). This is good news isn't it?!

Anyway I also wanted to know if anyone knew what the time frame might be.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by JoJo the religious man]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I believe this what you are talking about, "IMMORTALIZING ENZYME" DETECTED IN MANY TYPES OF CANCER, REPORTED IN SCIENCE
Findings Support Study Of Telomerase As Potential Single, Specific Anti-Cancer Target.

But this is not a new article it has been around for a while.

www.geron.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I read in the newspaper yesterday that researchers had found that eating sauerkraut regularly reduces your chances of getting many types of cancer.. The article said that it reduced the odds to more than a 70% reduction in people who get cancer masses. I will try and see if I can find the article to link to.

EDIT

Here is an article on the study:

www.happynews.com...

It says that the chemicals in sauerkraut as well as some other vegetables repairs damaged DNA.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away — and so does sauerkraut, a new cancer study shows.
While the health benefits of the traditional German dish of fermented cabbage can help reduce the risk of cancer by 74 percent, as earlier research shows, the latest Georgetown University study identified the natural cancer-fighting agent.

The chemical indol-3-carbonol, found naturally in sauerkraut and other vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage from the mustard family, helps repair damaged DNA that can lead to cells becoming cancerous.

www.nypost.com...

[edit on 2-16-2006 by William One Sac]

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I have been looking around to various articles on enzymes, but to my surprised is many enzymes found for different types of cancer.

Also I am getting concerned because I just found out that one of my husband working partners was suddenly sick to later discover that he is suffering from terminal cancer in his liver, supposedly a rare type.

But to my dismay the same rare cancer of the liver that he has is the same that my aunt die from last year.

It attacks suddenly and is mortal perhaps just one to three months my aunt die within weeks.

How rare can this be if I already know of two person with the same type of cancer within one year apart.

Very worrisome.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
How rare can this be if I already know of two person with the same type of cancer within one year apart.

Very worrisome.

I know marg. Thats why I feel so fortunate to still be around...

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

I know marg. Thats why I feel so fortunate to still be around...

You are going to be around for a long time.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Wow I didn't know it was around that long the first I heard of it was yesterday on the radio. (MAN I must live under a rock)

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
They are NOT looking for a cure.

Just a higher value of healthcare between the patient and the doctors, in other words... a higher priced cancer treatment facility.

Cancer remains the leading cause of death in the U.S., with over a half-million deaths in 2003. The four most common cancers: lung, breast, prostate and colorectal, together account for 51 percent of all cancer deaths in the U.S.

"The goal of this agreement is ambitious: to revolutionize medical practices for cancer-related diseases. We want to shift medicine toward an earlier, preventative, and individualized approach to medical care," said George Poste, director of the Biodesign Institute. "

How ambitious is that?
They do not even mention an effort to find a cure.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Submersible
How ambitious is that?
They do not even mention an effort to find a cure.

Very ambitious, why to find cures when Treatments and drugs are more profitable when it comes to long term care.

Patients become a steady income to pharmaceuticals and doctors.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
WOW!! I don't know about you guys but don't you think that if they aren't really looking for a cure then, that they should be?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
If MONSANTO was forced to release the test they conducted on lab-rats before they started genetically modifying our food supply,
or if they worked with us to find a cure for cancer instead of monopolizing the cancer and drug industry,
we would have a cure.

There IS a cure.

But since the people holding the 'miracle' drug are the same one's making billions from giving us cancer, then making billions more to make the victims feel better about it...
why would they cut their own throats(income) to save millions of sick people?

'They' don't want us to live this long anyway.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What I find astounding in all of this is that in all of the years scientists have studied cancer they finaly come to the conclusion of an enzyme thats personally what I find beyond pathetic think about it how is it possible to not find something soo blatently obvious from all of there tests theyve done...... not saying this isnt good they found it but how does something like this take so long if they came to a basic conclusion.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

What I find astounding in all of this is that in all of the years scientists have studied cancer they finaly come to the conclusion of an enzyme thats personally what I find beyond pathetic think about it how is it possible to not find something soo blatently obvious from all of there tests theyve done...... not saying this isnt good they found it but how does something like this take so long if they came to a basic conclusion.

Have you ever tried isolating even a known enzyme or protein from a tissue sample? Do you have any idea how hard it is? I spent 6 weeks of my graduate research simply trying to isolate ONE KNOWN enzyme from a lysosome-rich tissue sample, and that is considered decent time. So please, do no criticise the work of others through baseless claims when you have not even so much as stepped into a lab such as theirs.

~MFP

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Have you ever tried isolating even a known enzyme or protein from a tissue sample? Do you have any idea how hard it is? I spent 6 weeks of my graduate research simply trying to isolate ONE KNOWN enzyme from a lysosome-rich tissue sample, and that is considered decent time. So please, do no criticise the work of others through baseless claims when you have not even so much as stepped into a lab such as theirs.

bsl...I just want to go on record to say that you are an inspiration to us all. I hope you go on to do wonderful things when you are a real doctor and not just a med student. I hope you truly work to help people and don't get caught up in the reality of your profession.

The person you have jumped upon here does have a legitimate point though. It's obvious that there is much more money in treating cancer than curing it. That is why there has been so little progress with the disease.

There are many cures out there that are known yet hushed up or brushed aside...there is a thread on here now, on page one, about a cure for cancer and no one even seems to have any interest in it whatsoever. You know why? Because no one really believes there is a cure for cancer. They see the name of that thread and think it's a joke. Society has accepted cancer and the death rate of cancer. What a money maker that has become. I think it's still the biggest money maker out there in the medical field, right?

Why find cures for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.....That's a big chunk of change gone in terms of maintenance. Maintenance is big money. Cures? Imagine a whole disease cured....that would set the medical industry back a great deal....and of course, cause everyone's medical insurance to go up!

Why don't more people know about the fact that if they keep their pancreas healthy, they can keep themselves free of all kinds of disease. Why isn't that common knowledge? Or, why don't more people know that walking around with a vitamin C deficiency can cause all kinds of medical problems? And why is the RDA of viamin C ridiculously low in terms of what the body actually needs to be healthy?

Why? I'll tell you why. Because our government and the medical industry want people to be sick and get sick. The more sick people the better. That's a fact.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Why find cures for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.....That's a big chunk of change gone in terms of maintenance. Maintenance is big money. Cures? Imagine a whole disease cured....that would set the medical industry back a great deal....and of course, cause everyone's medical insurance to go up!

But the company who came out with the cure would rake it in. Companies are in it to make money, nothing else and if a failing company with it's patents soon expiring(think Merck, Phizer etc) could come out with something like this just think of all the money they could make. As for maintanance, how bout an Anti-Cancer pill that contains the "cure" that roves around in your body killing any cancerous cells as they find them but they only last say a day or so, and if you're a smoker or something like that you would want to have a steady supply of such a drug. Heart disease will be banished once Heart Implants get perfected. A piece of plastic can't get diseased. BTW Insulin doesn't cost that much and is a very low margin business which is why Insulin implants which prompt your own body to produce insulin naturally are currently being worked on.

I'll tell you why. Because our government and the medical industry want people to be sick and get sick. The more sick people the better. That's a fact.

Well for the USA it may be but for those Governments that pay through their nose in Health Costs it would be in their best interests to fund such treatments. That is the best argument for Universal Health care and not many people can argue with that.

A sick population is a population that is unproductive. An unproductive population means less GDP growth and in turn less Taxes will be collected and in turn the economy would become worse and in turn less Taxes will be collected etc etc etc. You logic doesn't make any sense.

A word of advice to the PCT's go and take some courses in the subject you're acting like such an "authority" on please. Your words will just make you look like a fool in the long run.

The only lab they've ever stepped into was the one in their High School Chemistry/Biology class if they ever bothered to take that elective course(which they probably didn't).

I just want to go on record to say that you are an inspiration to us all. I hope you go on to do wonderful things when you are a real doctor and not just a med student. I hope you truly work to help people and don't get caught up in the reality of your profession.

Condescending much? You do know what a Graduate Student is right? He may still be learning but he does hold a Bachelors degree which is probably more education the 99% of posters on ATS.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

A word of advice to the PCT's go and take some courses in the subject you're acting like such an "authority" on please. Your words will just make you look like a fool in the long run.

What subject am I acting like an authority on? And what I know doesn't get taught in any "course" anywhere friend. What I know is called reality. I don't live in La La Land. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business....so what? What does that prove? bsl has a bachelor's degree. So what? What does that prove? His degree is in medicine. Mine is not. I'm not talking about medicine here. I'm talking about business. BIG BUSINESS. And who really runs this country and why and how greed has made this country no longer democratic....and how greed makes big business want people to be sick.

My words make me look like a fool? How do you figure? Explain to me how anything I've said is foolish. Since you have decided you are an authority on fools. Is that what you got YOUR degree in? Are you a clown? I'm only asking because I don't understand what someone would do with such a degree.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Why? I'll tell you why. Because our government and the medical industry want people to be sick and get sick. The more sick people the better. That's a fact.

I really wish you people would realize there is a world OUTSIDE of your own borders in USA. Why would it make sense for the governments of Canada, France, UK, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc. to continue to pay for treatments instead of cures? As Sardion said, a sick population is an unproductive population. The European governments over here make NO money off of medical treatments whatsoever and have little to no influence on which drugs are prescribed on a patient to patient basis. If there were promise of a cure for cancer, don't you think every country in the world, other than the USA apparently, would jump on the chance to cut it's national medical costs by upwards of 50%? Makes sense to me. Meh, but you don't have socialized healthcare and don't seem to think in a global respect. Oh, and Excitable, I love how you seem to think you are the only one who lives in this "reality". I'm assuming you've seen the Matrix series, those horrid films, and think you are "the one"? hehe ,just kidding. Your comment just makes you seem to have that sort of condescending attitude towards the beliefs of anyone who disagrees with you on any topic every mentioned in the history of man ever and forever.

~MFP

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

My words make me look like a fool?

PCT's comments will make a PCT look like more of a fool(then they already do) not does. WILL. Notice how I didn't say you. You are the one who took it as if I was directing at you personally when quite obviously I wasn't.

Where did I single you out?

You're cherry picking style of posting is wonderfull. I love it! NOT.

You want to know what that is? You chose just one small portion of what someone wrote that has NO bearing on the topic at hand and then goes on about it as if that was the topic at hand. I notice when I made some reasonable points you just completely ignored them.

And who really runs this country and why and how greed has made this country no longer democratic....and how greed makes big business want people to be sick.

This country? You mean the USA? I don't live in the USA. The world does not reside solely in your country. This is an INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE BOARD. Not an American Message Board.

Americentricity disgusts me every time it rears it's butt ugly head.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Where is the moderator that makes sure that all threads stay on topic?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Submersible
Where is the moderator that makes sure that all threads stay on topic?

Sorry about that. I just hate Cherry Pickers even more then Drive by posters or Judgemental posters.

If MONSANTO was forced to release the test they conducted on lab-rats before they started genetically modifying our food supply,
or if they worked with us to find a cure for cancer instead of monopolizing the cancer and drug industry,
we would have a cure.

Monsanto is an ex-tobacco company. Why would they be interesting in curing something they caused? They want to distance themselves from that industry as much as possible to avoids as much liability as possible. Their current endevors are no better though I agree.

There IS a cure.

Care to post a source on that? Also I'm sure you know that Cancer is not one disease so talking about a singular cure is rather inane.

But since the people holding the 'miracle' drug are the same one's making billions from giving us cancer, then making billions more to make the victims feel better about it...
why would they cut their own throats(income) to save millions of sick people?

'They' don't want us to live this long anyway.

Again Americentricity really pisses me off. If this supposed cure did exist there would be some patent and peer reviewed paper out there somewhere. Why haven't countries with Socialized Healthcare picked up on this? It's goes against their best interests to ignore this or suppress this.

So why did you go off on this(as it IS offtopic)? I want to talk more about this enzyme and not silly conspiracy theories. How can they suppress sauerkraut

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join