It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer breakthrough!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

This country? You mean the USA? I don't live in the USA. The world does not reside solely in your country. This is an INTERNATIONAL MESSAGE BOARD. Not an American Message Board.

Americentricity disgusts me every time it rears it's butt ugly head.

Friend...it says right below my avatar...that I live in Arizona. If you don't know that's in the USA...that's okay. I'm talking about my country when I talk about government. So what are you on about? I live in the USA, so, my government is the US government....

So when I say the government, friend, I mean my government. If I said the world government, that would be talking about the world government. That's government 101...they also teach that Canadians have a Canadian government. Fascinating material. To me, I would call it the Canadian government if I was talking about it. This is kind of English 101 too.

Now can we get back to the subject......

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yes lets talk about sauerkraut
You like it? I personally hate it, I hope they come out with an extract soon, or do you think that there is no money to be made in that

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Why haven't countries with Socialized Healthcare picked up on this? It's goes against their best interests to ignore this or suppress this.

sardion - sorry. Gotta do a driveby.

The business perspective is important - and FYI - countries with socialized medicine use the same reinsurance companies as do private insurance providers. So the rules are set internationally regarding coverage and how the industry works in terms of money flow.

...Back to the enzyme...

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Yes lets talk about sauerkraut You like it? I personally hate it, I hope they come out with an extract soon, or do you think that there is no money to be made in that

Personally, I hate sauerkraut. The extract will probably be sold by a multi-level marketing company and go out of business while 1000 people sit on all the product and don't know how to sell it.

They'll have a website and at some point they will get torn apart by all or some of us on this site.

I would eat sauerkraut if I knew for sure it would help fight off cancer. But, it is horrendous stuff!

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

[edit on 21-2-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The business perspective is important - and FYI - countries with socialized medicine use the same reinsurance companies as do private insurance providers. So the rules are set internationally regarding coverage and how the industry works in terms of money flow.

...Back to the enzyme...

Sources, soficrow? My government (that's the Italian government, for Excitable), does not use the same "reinsurance companies" as any private companies...they use a public health hospital system that withdraws money from public tax funds.

~MFP

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
I read in the newspaper yesterday that researchers had found that eating sauerkraut regularly reduces your chances of getting many types of cancer.. The article said that it reduced the odds to more than a 70% reduction in people who get cancer masses. I will try and see if I can find the article to link to.

EDIT

Here is an article on the study:

www.happynews.com...

It says that the chemicals in sauerkraut as well as some other vegetables repairs damaged DNA.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away — and so does sauerkraut, a new cancer study shows.
While the health benefits of the traditional German dish of fermented cabbage can help reduce the risk of cancer by 74 percent, as earlier research shows, the latest Georgetown University study identified the natural cancer-fighting agent.

The chemical indol-3-carbonol, found naturally in sauerkraut and other vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage from the mustard family, helps repair damaged DNA that can lead to cells becoming cancerous.

www.nypost.com...

[edit on 2-16-2006 by William One Sac]

Does it matter if it is fresh or canned?

In the last 5 years I have lost My Grandfather to Cancer of the Kidney and esopagause (Throat), my mother to Luekimia, and my Great Grand Mother to Pancriatic Cancer.

My Grand Mother has skin cancer and one of my aunts has cancer (can't remember what kind) but it is in remission.

I am in my 30's and want to do what ever I can to avoid this horrible disease.

BTW I am glad to hear you are doing better, and glad to see you posting again.

Thanks for any imput you have.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc

Originally posted by soficrow

The business perspective is important ...the rules are set internationally regarding coverage and how the industry works in terms of money flow.

Sources, soficrow?

A quick overview for those unfamiliar with "reinsurance." The Role of Reinsurance in Medicaid Managed Care

Reinsurance is an insurance option through which a primary risk bearer - like a managed care organization - can limit its potential for losses for some or all of its enrollees. It is one tool that states use to attract and retain Medicaid managed care health plans. States also use it to encourage management of care.

Reinsurance became an issue for Medicaid programs when states moved to Medicaid managed care. To participate in capitated MMC, health plans have to accept the financial risk of covering all necessary care for beneficiaries. Health plans may be reluctant to participate if overexposed to the risk of very high losses that can occur with fixed capitation. Reluctance may be strongest where risks are unfamiliar, otherwise hard to predict, or apt to be high and variable. Even after participation, unusually high claims costs might drive some plans out of the program or even out of business; other plans might seek to accept and retain beneficiaries selectively, despite state requirements of open enrollment.

Reinsurance can be very important to overcome managed care organizations' (MCOs) reluctance to assume open-ended risks of very high losses. It operates as a secondary insurance mechanism for primary risk bearers such as managed care organizations, to limit potential losses. This Resource Paper addresses states' reinsurance provisions and trends over time, with a particular focus on Medicaid managed care (MMC) enrollment of people with disabilities.

Also see:

ITALY

The major European life and health reinsurance markets: In Italy, health insurance is regarded as part of property and casualty insurance. This line of business is therefore reinsured under non-life treaties.

Financial Services Facts: Italy's Assicurazioni Generali offers life and health reinsurance products. It was the world's fifth largest insurance company by revenue in 2004, at $83,268,000.

Coverium Reinsurance's "major key markets" for Life & Health Reinsurance are Germany, Italy and France

OTHER

Swiss Re Life & Health Canada moves to new offices:
www.swissre.com...

[url=http://www.ichp.ufl.edu/documents/issue_brief_5.pdf]The Role of Reinsurance in Financing Children’s Health Care (pdf)

Considerations and Design Options for a Government-Sponsored Reinsurance Program (pdf)

An international perspective on insurance and reinsurance markets (pdf)

Australia: Operations Of The Registered Health Benefits Organisations Annual Report 2004-05 Includes reinsurance uptake

Hospital Inpatient Reinsurance Product

My government (that's the Italian government, for Excitable), does not use the same "reinsurance companies" as any private companies...they use a public health hospital system that withdraws money from public tax funds.

Your public health hospital system is the "primary risk bearer" - reinsurance offers a secondary level of risk protection.

Could you please provide sources to prove that Italy's and other social health care systems do NOT re-insure their programs against open-ended risks? ...Does each government provide its own reinsurance? How is that structured fiscally?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Soficrow, what you are referring to as "re-insurance" is called the public deferrment program. When someone needs a major operation or doesn't feel their public physician is good enough, they can choose to go to a private hospital. If this choice is made by the patient, yes, they would need some form of insurance if they are not paying for the treatment themselves. However, if the patient is told by a public doctor that the procedure they need is outside the scope of a public hospital, the state will pay for the treatment at a private hospital of the patient's choice. There is no insurance requirement in Italy, and the state most certainly does not work through the same companies as private citizens when covering medical costs. That seems a bit daft of an assertion.

~MFP

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bpletcj

Does it matter if it is fresh or canned?

In the last 5 years I have lost My Grandfather to Cancer of the Kidney and esopagause (Throat), my mother to Luekimia, and my Great Grand Mother to Pancriatic Cancer.

My Grand Mother has skin cancer and one of my aunts has cancer (can't remember what kind) but it is in remission.

I am in my 30's and want to do what ever I can to avoid this horrible disease.

BTW I am glad to hear you are doing better, and glad to see you posting again.

Thanks for any imput you have.

I didnt read that it would make a difference if it were canned or not. I usually tend to stay away from the canned stuff, but that is just my own personal preference. I wouldnt think it would make a difference though.

And thank you, it feels good to be well enough to be back participating again.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I want to throw one in there;

A year or more ago, I saw a program on TV (don't remember the channel) where they looked at cancer across the planet.

They found a place or tribe with no signs of cancer. They ate mostly peaches and ground the pit and used it as flour. Members of this tribe were considered wealthy by the number of peach trees they had.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
sauerkraut is one of my favorite toppings for hot dogs, I love it.

Now I also eat a lot of Cole slaw but will it does the same as Sauerkraut of is the way is processed what it makes the difference.

Broccoli another cancer fighter is also a vegetable that I can eat it raw anytime along with carrots.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

I didnt read that it would make a difference if it were canned or not. I usually tend to stay away from the canned stuff, but that is just my own personal preference. I wouldnt think it would make a difference though.

And thank you, it feels good to be well enough to be back participating again.

I reread the article you posted and I cought

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

There is no insurance requirement in Italy, and the state most certainly does not work through the same companies as private citizens when covering medical costs. That seems a bit daft of an assertion.

BSdoc - medical reinsurance is insurance for medical programs not individuals - it is a way to protect against risk, part of the business of providing health care.

It may be that Italy does not reinsure its public medical program, but I doubt it. That would be monumentally stupid, especially seeing that the fifth largest health reinsurance company in the world is Italian.

Again - where are your sources?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My sources for what, soficrow? You provided a source for American medicaid and then an article showing the the fifth largest insurance firm is Italian. So? Your first source on Italian reinsurance even states that reinsurance volume has decreased. This is true, since we have socialized our healthcare, we put more tax money into the system and spend less on insuring it. Also, your articles take into account life insurance as part of health insurance. Life insurance is not covered by the state, which would inflate your figures.

~MFP

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

My sources for what, soficrow?

You keep stating that the Italian government does NOT reinsure its healthcare program, despite the fact that reinsurance is standard in the healthcare industry - but offer no sources to prove it.

You may be right. Who knows? But just because you're a medical student doesn't mean we shouldn't question your opinions or request sources for the "information" you sling about so very freely.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm not saying you should take my word for it just because I'm a medical student, I may very well be wrong, I'm not in the business of economics. YOU however, seem to love putting words in people's mouths. I never said we DON'T reinsure our medical care. We have lessened it markedly and it is being phased out to an extent due to increases in tax money.

~MFP

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

YOU however, seem to love putting words in people's mouths. I never said we DON'T reinsure our medical care. We have lessened it markedly and it is being phased out to an extent due to increases in tax money.

Ahem.

Sources, soficrow? My government (that's the Italian government, for Excitable), does not use the same "reinsurance companies" as any private companies...they use a public health hospital system that withdraws money from public tax funds.

Your words BSdoc:

"My government (that's the Italian government, for Excitable), does not use the same "reinsurance companies" as any private companies...they use a public health hospital system that withdraws money from public tax funds."

But enough. I tire of your fencing.

ciao

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
So show me how my statement as to the government using different means of insuring medical care than private citizens somehow disproves what I said previously?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I believe this what you are talking about, "IMMORTALIZING ENZYME" DETECTED IN MANY TYPES OF CANCER, REPORTED IN SCIENCE
Findings Support Study Of Telomerase As Potential Single, Specific Anti-Cancer Target.

But this is not a new article it has been around for a while.

www.geron.com...

What I find most interesting here is that first telomeres and then telomerase received MUCH research attention as possible keys to "immortality" - starting back in the 1930's or 40's.

...Makes me wonder just what might have escaped from the lab. Given that cancer is now epidemic worldwide - like 1 in 2 American men will get cancer sometime in their lifetime.

ed. scrambled phrasing

[edit on 22-2-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Again Americentricity really pisses me off. If this supposed cure did exist there would be some patent and peer reviewed paper out there somewhere. Why haven't countries with Socialized Healthcare picked up on this? It's goes against their best interests to ignore this or suppress this.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by sardion2000]

REally .

Care to post a source on that? Also I'm sure you know that Cancer is not one disease so talking about a singular cure is rather inane.

How many different forms of treatment can be administered to cancer patients? besides chemotherapy, radiation and the typical buffet of prescription drugs?
I'm just asking because from what I understand they are 'soothing' most cancer patients with a singular treatment. I might be wrong, it's been almost 4 years since somebody I was close to died of cancer, but my wife found out yesterday that she may have some on her face.

Have you ever tried isolating even a known enzyme or protein from a tissue sample? Do you have any idea how hard it is? .

~MFP

Do you have any idea how hard it is to build a two-story barn? or how long that takes?

I really wish you people would realize there is a world OUTSIDE of your own borders in USA. Why would it make sense for the governments of Canada, France, UK, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc. to continue to pay for treatments instead of cures? .

Do you not understand the amount of money involved in treating one cancer patient? Especially somebody who get's sick at a young age, and they can fight it off for a decade or so.... with massive amounts of treatment.
Do you believe that if a scientist or a research institution were to discover a single or multi dose CURE for cancer that it would get past one of this worlds four 'gene giants'? Much less all four of them, somehow it would get 'squashed' before it could be brought to the FDA for approval,
and they would never approve it because the people who would lose hundreds of billions of dollars on cancer treatment would provide so many conflicting studies of the same drug, that it would just be swept under the rug.

If a cure for cancer didn't exist, wouldn't the 'big boys' be working towards a cure? Instead of working towards higher priced cancer patient care?

When 50% of the men and 35% of the women in THIS country are going to develop some form of cancer in their lifetime, the drug industry is the next best thing to the oil-industry. I know your not naive enough to believe that they are going to let somebody produce a cure that will eliminate the monoply they have in treating us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join