posted on Oct, 4 2003 @ 08:19 PM
Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
not to be stupid, but if he's still living, couldn't you ask him or other family members? you could do the full online family history search, but
I'm not sure if you'd find the info you're looking for. an offline search and a little detective work will probably serve you better.
Couldn't I ask him? He's not all he used to be. I don't want to crush an old man who doesn't have these demons. I'd like to do some homework and
then ask questions. There are many demons I have to ask him about. Some he no longer has the intellectual capacity or social understanding to properly
I could ask others in the family but I don't want to sound like a scheming traitor. Particularly if they see nothing wrong with their past
associations...and if they're involved. I've not had much luck with historical databases.
Here are a few points:
- There have been multiple name changes which make tracking difficult
- There have been relatives who left Europe under cover of night for fear of war crimes trials. They ended up in Australia.
- There was my grandmother who was called down to the secret police and then the communists summons was discovered (long story)
- Same grandmother came to US fearing the communists followng her. She committed suicide by jumping off the balcony of our house. Now the family says
it wasn't a suicide. Years ago I heard there was a note. The note is no longer acknowledged (possibly because she was catholic and the fear of
suicide being known questioning her fate)
- Father's office was near the secret service. Was asked to joing the communist party but never did, despite threats to him
- Father escaped under cover of night and became a US citizen 6 years after coming to the US
- Father visited South America and Venezuela despite not knowing anyone there.
There's a bunch more craziness...but that's the tip of the iceberg.