It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Know Anything About These Dog Breeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Mostly the Mexxican Lap dog, and the russian lapdog? Pretty the sure the site is "for real". I have tried searching and haven't come up with any actual information.

Link- www.greenapple.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
All I could find is a site saying that the Havanese is possibly connected to the Mexican lapdog. No real information there. My search was as fruitless as yours. As far as I can tell, though, both breeds are extinct.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I don't know how accurate or "trustworthy" the site is, although the same information with some more can be found here...
I think they're exaggerating by saying that some dogs were the size of hamsters...
The lack of over-all information on the specific extinct dogs makes me wonder, but then again there's little reason not to believe it to be true.
Maybe there's an ATS vet with some more info.
Interesting find nonetheless!
But I wonder why a dog (or any domesticated animal) would go extinct?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
is this site saying that dacshunds are extinct?, heres a pic of my dacshund she is a long haired minature dacshund she is black and taned she was born smaller than her siblings and she is still smaler to day heres a pic she is 8 years old and about 10 inches of the floor..hers a pic
[img=http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1163/tara4lm.th.jpg]
some of the other dogs look interesting like the african hairles dog that to me looks could look like a chupacabra.

[edit on 11-2-2006 by matrix 333]

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Good question. My best guess is very low demand for that specific breed. If nobody wants to buy Dog_Breed_01, then the breeders aren't going to invest time and money into breeding that kind of pup. Eventually the ones that were around would have died off, and with no new pups being produced, there goes the breed.

I don't think the site is calling the Daschund extinct Matrix, just labelling them as an old breed that's been around for a while, which is true. It's saying the same about the Basset Hound. Which, as a side note, is a great pet. I owned one years ago.

Cug

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Happens all the time. There are plenty of farm animal that have gone extinct. Modern farmers only use the fastest growing/ best producing/ best breeding critters and the rest slowly die off from the lack of breeding.

Originally posted by ToxxiKall
I don't think the site is calling the Daschund extinct Matrix, just labelling them as an old breed that's been around for a while, which is true. It's saying the same about the Basset Hound. Which, as a side note, is a great pet. I owned one years ago.

Take a look at the pictures. Have you seen any Daschunds with legs that long lately? or Bassets with ears that short? Look for some photos of price winning Siamese cats for the early 1900's and then look at the modern frail looking things, People just like deformed mutant pets.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hmm...you know what I didn't even notice the legs/ears Cug, good eyes.

Good point though...the Daschunds you see nowadays don't have legs near that length. The ears on the Basset I had were much longer then that, they only missed dragging on the ground by a few centimetres.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
u can see the comparison between the legs longer fore limbs/and the shorter ones of 2day..[img=http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/4760/dachshund3hy.th.jpg]
short legs
[img=http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/9222/dachshundold3sn.th.jpg]
long legs
they must have evolved or something and the legs got shorter probably because they dont use them as much.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by matrix 333
u can see the comparison between the legs longer fore limbs/and the shorter ones of 2day..[img=http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/4760/dachshund3hy.th.jpg]
[img=http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/9222/dachshundold3sn.th.jpg]
they must have evolved or soething and the legs got shorter probably because they dont use them as much.

They didn't "evolve" due to use. Breeders have bred for certain traits. The very long body and very short legs was desireable for looks, not as much for function.

Do you think today's german shepards with their extreme angulation of their rear legs makes them better dogs? Or is it fashionable?

Dog breeders can ruin a breed pretty quick. Look at the pekingese, at dog shows they must be sat on ice packs or they will have a heat stroke. They can barely make it around the ring without overheating.

So, this is selective breeding at work, not evolution

And I have no idea about those tiny hamster sized dogs. Sure are cute though!

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
i know they didnt evolve its just a silly thing becos i could think of a word what i put there, i know it takes thousands of years for something to evolve i wonder if they is any of them lapdogs around to day they look very small and cute possably lap sized hence the name.

so the leg size has been bread out of the dog to get smaller fron legs in the dachi case?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Dachshunds were bred to be very fierce badger hunters. They don't need to hunt anymore so fashion has dictated that they have short legs and longer bodies than 200 years ago.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
yes they go down animal holes like rabbits as well, if they come across a hole witch is small they have large wiskers coming from there muzzle and eyebrows and 2 from ther chin or futher down to measure the diameter of the hole and if the wiskers bend or something touches them they know not to go down or they could get stuck.

great hunters and a great pet

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
here is a pic showing the thick hair potruding from the face the red is showing the wisker thick hair
[img=http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/1706/dachi0fo.th.jpg]
realy clever dogs

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
Take a look at the pictures. Have you seen any Daschunds with legs that long lately? or Bassets with ears that short? Look for some photos of price winning Siamese cats for the early 1900's and then look at the modern frail looking things, People just like deformed mutant pets.

Try seeing any of the following links for the original siamese, called "applehead" siamese:

www.travelswithtigger.com...

www.oldstylesiamese.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
The chinese lap dog also known as the Pen lo was 3 to 5 inches high, 8 inches long and weighted a couple pounds. More like the size of a guinea pig than a hamster.

I once saw a pic of a tiny dog that was used during the early industrial age. I believe it would run on a tiny tread inside machinery all day. I cannot remember the name of it but it too was very very small and had some strange features.

Dog breeds are closely watched nowadays but earlier in the 20th century before breed clubs started up dog breeds and types were constantly changing. The two world wars killed off many breeds in europe, some manged to stick around, others have been reconstructed.

new topics

top topics

join