It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paper to run 'Holocaust cartoons'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
From CNN.com

An Iranian newspaper says it is going to hold a competition for cartoons on the Holocaust to test whether the West will apply the same principles of freedom of expression to the Nazi genocide against Jews as it did to the caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed, The Associated Press reports.

I can tell you one thing, no one is going to bomb and attack the Iranian embassy here in America (if there is one, I have no idea).

Isreal might get ticked, but I don't expect a whole lot out of it.

-O

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Still it should be interesting. I wonder how we and Isreal would have responded had the initial cartoon been about the holocaust. I'm sure "we" would take that cartoon and use it as some sort of "propoganda" displaying the ignorance of the radical Middle East. No?

Peace

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Serum39]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
pretty childish and pathetic of IRAN.

I'll cross my fingers that this escalates into military action against iran, I am getting tired of them.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39
I'm sure "we" would take that cartoon and use it as some sort of "propoganda" displaying the ignorance of the radical Middle East. No?

Maybe, but we certainly would start lighting crap on fire, and killing people.

Could you imagine a bunch of angry Jewish soccer moms storming the Iranian embassy?

I can't.

However, the propaganda point you bring up is quite possible.

-O

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by porky1981
I'll cross my fingers that this escalates into military action against iran, I am getting tired of them.

Unless you plan on actually fighting in that military conflict, you should wish no such thing.

There is no reason to use the military to do anything to Iran. If Iraq has shown us anything it's that blockades and sanctions do wonders to weaken and contain a country.

Had they not, we wouldn't have trounced them so badly when we went in there.

-O

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
you know im not really sure what the context of the first cartoon was in. i know that they (muslims) as far as i know arent upset at what the cartoon said (although i havent read it myself) but are more upset that muhammed was depicted in the cartoon which is directly against their religion. now whether or not the person making the cartoon knew that or not im not sure. if he did well then he is a di**. if he didnt, then it was a mistake however ignorant...it was still a mistake.

on the other hand the holocaust cartoons are being done on purpose to hurt people. if the muslim cartoon was just an ignorant mistake i think it is pretty cruel for the iranians to publish a holocaust cartoon. if the muslim cartoon was done on purpose to piss people off then ya know they should demand an apology but two rights dont make a wrong. i can understand their rage if the cartoon was made on purpose to piss them off. and feelings of revenge are only natural but this could have been their chance to rise above the situation and show the world that they arent just a big group of venegful criminals.

Making a cartoon about men, woman and children dying at the hands of a ruthless maniac is beyond cruel. making a cartoon depicting the face of a prophet from a religion that says its a sin, is utterly disrespectful, but not cruel. i think that God can take care of his prophets he doesnt need people starting stuff on fire, killing people, and glorifying the deaths of others.

i would hold the same opinon if a cartoon had been made making fun of the muslims who were killed by the catholics in the crucades, so im not just being harsher to one side because i dont like muslims or something. i just happen to find the holocaust cartoon a lot more cruel.

Kind regards,
Digitalgrl

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The whole point didgitalgirl, is for the Iranians to prove how hypocritical the west is. They know the west will condemn the holocaust cartoons, and that will in effect show the world how "great" of a nation we really are. It's like letting someone cheat on a test, then setting them up to get caught.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I dont see any problem in reprimanding them doing this. Its really not as sophisticated as you guys are making it out to be. The country that the original Muhammad Derka Derka cartoons came from was and is a free society. Iran prohibits all sorts of things, therefore this isn't a matter of some one person exercising their right to freedom of speech but rather a governmental act to take a cheap shot at the jews
Theyre just asking for booombbs oveeerr teeeehhhraaan

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
SFRemmy, no one is telling the Muslims not to be upset or not to condemn the cartons. We are simply outraged because they are calling for Denmark to be destroyed, for innocent people to be killed, and because they are burning European embassies. Now, are we in the West hypocrites because we condemn the cartoons? Absolutely not. Would we be hypocrites if we called for Iran’s destruction, or if we burned Iranian embassies ? Yes. So the point you are trying to make is flawed.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
The whole point didgitalgirl, is for the Iranians to prove how hypocritical the west is. They know the west will condemn the holocaust cartoons, and that will in effect show the world how "great" of a nation we really are. It's like letting someone cheat on a test, then setting them up to get caught.

Actually, sfremmy, the whole point will turn out to be another propaganda defeat for iran, because despite what they hope for, some in the west may write articles condemning the iranian cartoons, but that will be the worst of it.

No comparison at all to the way violent muslims are acting.

The difference in actions will be clear to all in the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well the way I'm understanding it though, and I may be wrong, is that the US is siding with the Danes saying they had the right to publish the cartoons. If the Iranians go through with their plans, and the US condemns that, then that would be hypocritical. I may be wrong on the US supporting the Danes part, but that's the way I've interpreted it.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFRemmy
Well the way I'm understanding it though, and I may be wrong, is that the US is siding with the Danes saying they had the right to publish the cartoons. If the Iranians go through with their plans, and the US condemns that, then that would be hypocritical. I may be wrong on the US supporting the Danes part, but that's the way I've interpreted it.

What??? How to make it any more clear to you? I suppose you could really reach and say that a U.S. condemnation of iran's cartoon's would be hypocritical, but the issue is the degree. Even if Bush himself says something it in no way compares to what thousands of muslim rioters are doing around the world. People are dying over their actions. How could any thinking person equate that with a few spoken or printed words of condemnation?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Already in discussion:

Extra Extra!! Iran holds contest for Holocaust cartoons

Thread closed.

top topics

join