It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush bashing during King's funeral.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
We DON'T know what she wanted but you're all assuming that she didn't ask specifically for exactly what she got. You're all assuming she didn't write the speeches herself. She was OLD, she knew she was dying, don't you think she made a few arrangements?

No, BH, you're the one who claims to know who knows what. And, to paraphrase you, white, conservative, Bush supporters don' know nuthin' about what dem black foke woulda wanted spoke! To answer one of your previous questions, yes, you are the racist one here.

Don't you think her dear friends respect her enough not to USE her freakin' funeral as a political pulpit for their own gain?

Obviously not.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Why bring Katrina into this funeral?

I actually give them that one as appropriate. Let's face it, those were mainly black poor people we saw during Katrina, and Mrs. King was about furthering the black community. That comment seemed appropriate. It could have been a stone thrown at Pres. Bush, but it was appropriate.

Now the WMD thing was so far out of line it wasn't funny. You know, like me talking about a new puppy I got for my daughter in this thread would be inappropriate.

All bow before the power of cuteness that this puppy radiates !

[edit on 8-2-2006 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I appologized for bringing this here but I have been challenged in it so I will be redirecting the subject of the thread for a moment but only to satisfy some.

This is how the real Bush budget looks like,

Medicaid cuts featured in $2.6 trillion budget
www.gazettetimes.com...

Congress narrowly passed a $2.6 trillion budget Thursday that would cut back spending on the Medicaid health care program for the first time since 1997 in a step toward trimming federal deficits.

State Takes Hit in Budget
• California will feel much of the impact of a narrowly approved federal measure, losing at least $1.7 billion in assistance.

latimes.com

Poor, elderly and students to feel pinch.

The House yesterday narrowly approved a contentious budget-cutting package that would save nearly $40 billion over five years by imposing substantial changes on programs including Medicaid, welfare, child support and student lending.

Recent Budget Publications

For Texas, the President's 2007 Federal Budget Proposal Would Cut Even Deeper, Compounding $40 Billion in Budget Cuts Approved Last Week (02/6/2006)
Federal funding for major programs such as Medicaid, highways, housing, education, and nutrition will be cut if President Bush's 2007 budget proposal goes into effect, according to a preliminary analysis by the Center for Public Policy Priorities in Austin.

www.cppp.org...

In this area, the Bush budget calls for the elimination or reduction of more than 140 programs at a savings of $14 billion. These programs, Bush said in his State of the Union address, "are performing poorly or not fulfilling essential priorities."
In last year's budget, Bush sought to curb 154 such programs for savings of $15.8 billion; Congress agreed to about two-fifths of those cuts.
One proposal would eliminate the $107 million Commodity Supplemental Food Program, which provides food to low-income mothers with young children and for the elderly poor.

news.yahoo.com...

Yes Bushes budget is for the poor alright, while he claims that the programs he is cutting are not good, at least not for him but for the people that need it.

I guess we need to get the money anywhere we can to keep the “war on terror” cooking.

Now back to the thread at hand.

mod edit to shorten link and change quote code form quote to ex., for external quotes

[edit on 8-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   

But you know, regardless of whose funeral it is and what arrangements have been made before hand, what a funeral is for...

Yes. I listed them. Funerals are for the person who died. It's
THEIR day. It's not for egomaniacs to be strutting their stuff.
It's for the person who died. It's for the loved ones left behind.
It's for worship of their choice of God. It's for the comfort
received from that worship. It's NOT a political platform for
media hogs.

No, FlyersFan knows better what Mrs. Martin Luther
King would want at her funeral?

Yes. Obviously. BTW .. you assume too much. You assume
that the circus that was going on was what she wanted.
You assume that she wanted the attention of the country
placed on Jesse (shakedown) Jackson and his rhetoric.
You assume that she didn't want her children to be comforted?
You assume that she didn't want her God worshipped?
You assume that she didn't want HER time ... that's what
the funeral was ... HER time. Theives stole it from her.

I won't be invitin' you to my funeral either.

Fine. Saves me airfare.

So, you AND FlyersFan both know what funerals are for.

Yep. Looks that way.

Don't you think her dear friends respect her enough
not to USE her freakin' funeral as a political pulpit for their own gain?

No. I don't. There are massive egos in the mix. AND I
don't think that she and Jesse Jackson were getting along
lately. I'll have to google that up ... I'm sure I read that
not to long ago they had a major falling out.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Since when our elected president only caters to one particular race in this country.

I think you comment is very racist indeed.

Wrong as Usual Marg...in fact your wrong about 90% of the time and this time is no different.

Our good President does not cater only to whites and your comment was more raciest than I could ever be....the way Bush was treated was shameful and the Blacks who cheered and jeered him only make things harder for decent Black folk who are trying to make something outta themselves.

Its "race-baiters" like you that like to see Blacks angry and divided to fuel your agenda and its people like me that wish people like you would just go away.

Maximu§

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Why bring Katrina into this funeral?

Let's face it, those were mainly black poor people we saw during Katrina,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Actually ... the reason you saw black faces was because New Orleans
has a high black population. If you look at the race statistics for
Hurricane Katrinia, you will see that, percentage wise, more WHITE
people died in the hurricane than blacks - an OVER percentage
of the death victims were white. More than the percentage of
those in the city should have supported.

The race misconceptions about Hurricane Katrina are being used
and abused by racist blacks in this country. Even the Mayor of
New Orleans is spewing junk to further the effect.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
jsobecky

Why ever thing that has to do with black and white has to be turn into a racist bashing argument?

Why are you so angry about Bush been bashed? he is a public figure he is not a king and he is not a dictator and he doesn't run this country on his own.

He is an elected official and the people has the right to said whatever they feel like when his policies are not agreeing upon.

Why are you so mad a me I am just a Puertorrican women.

[edit on 8-2-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Our good President does not cater only to whites and your comment was more raciest than I could ever be....

Wrong again LA I never mentioned whites or blacks when I made that comment I actually mean as a wider array of colors not one particular one.

Actually it was a question.

You and Jsobecky has brought the color in because you are angry at the public demonstration of how real people feel about our elected president when he is not in a control room with controlled people.

By the way it was people of other races in the funeral also and poor in our country is not limited to one particular color either.

Is nice to take words and twisted to satisfy once needs. right?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Exactly my point. Mrs. King would have spoken about non-violent solutions, had she been speaking there. Not WMDs. That's what made it political.

I didn't hear no WMD talk during their speeches, and Bush left way before the funeral was over. Like I said, he wasn't disrespected. There was much talk of non-violence when it came to the war. Her involvement in non-violence in the middle east conflict was brought up as well...how she supported Israel and american jews in their fight against terrorist and how she tried to convince Palestinians that non-violence is more effective than violence.

I heard Katrina used as a symbol of "how far we still have to go" and Dubya clapped and stood on those lines just like everyone else...bullcrap if you ask me but it wasn't as bad as folk are making it. It wasn't like they turned to Bush and said "YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE KATRINA VICTIMS". When the comment was made Bush stood and clapped. He was in the camera the whole time and he clapped on everything that was clapped on except the wiretap comments.

"The struggle for equal rights is not over. We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi, those who were most devastated by Katrina, to know that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans."

that is what Carter said about Katrina...i think that's bullcrap there is plenty of opportunity for black people but my overall point is Carter wasn't blaming Bush for it, and Bush wasn't uncomfortable with the comment he stood and frickin clapped.

Did you see the funeral?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Why are you so angry about Bush been bashed?

You didn't address this to me ...
but I'm going to answer anyways.

Marg .. if people want to mindlessly bash the president of
the United States, they can do so. It's the VENUE that they
use in this case that is so inappropriate. A funeral is a
time for the person who died. It's a time for the family
and friends left behind to be comforted. It's a time to
worship their God and to find comfort in the SPIRITUAL.

Mrs. King was married to a minister. He was a minister
before he was a political activist. As raunchy as his life
was ...with all the adultery and such ... the spiritual was
still at the base of his ministry and his family. Hers too.

Funerals are spiritual time and family time. They are
NOT for media-whores to take advantage and flaunt
their faces on National TV. That's just disgusting.

I am just a Puertorrican women.

My daughter (adopted) is from Bolivia!!

She was adopted at 9 months so she doesn't
remember any spanish from the orphanage.
She's learning it in school because she wants
to visit Bolivia someday

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I know about your beautiful daughter flyers you are a proud mama.

Actually like Saphronia said no body Bashed Bush, it was just comments made while in his presence.

It's just that it has been twisted around to make it look like a black and white issue and take what has been a very nice and peaceful event that will go into the history of civil movement as another chapter in their struggles and those that hold the dreams of the person that started that movement.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
I didn't hear no WMD talk during their speeches,

I did. Paraphrase - We spent all that money going over
there, there weren't WMD and Mrs. King knew it, and there
are plenty of WMD against black folks over here that $$$
should be spent on but that isn't because of that war that
we shouldn't be fighting ... etc. etc.

Bush wasn't uncomfortable with the comment he
stood and frickin clapped.

During the funeral for the Cardinal in New York City a few years
ago, the Clintons demanded to attend. The Cardinal left strict
instructions NOT to allow the Clintons into 'his church'. But they
got in anyways. The sermon was CATHOLIC ... since it was a
Catholic church. The sermon talked about the good things the
Cardinal had done in his life .. including work tirelessly for the
unborn and to end abortion. Everyone in the congregation
stood and applauded. Inside the church and outside the church.
The Clintons ... who are pro-abortion ... looked around and
saw everyone standing so they too stood and did some
clapping. Their whole lives were a testament against what was
being said in the funeral, but it would have looked really bad if
they had stayed sitting and hadn't clapped .. considering all
the thousands around them were.

Bush HAD to clap. If he hadn't, the press would have been all over it.
It's hard to tell exactly what he agreed with and what he didn't.
The funeral turned away from God and Mrs. King and became
a spew of politics. Sad.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You assume that the circus that was going on was what she wanted.

Why do you think this? I have not assumed what she wanted. I have only said that we don't know and that I turst her closest friends to know.

To answer one of your previous questions, yes, you are the racist one here.

Just because someone uses the words black and white does not mean they are racist.

This is just stupid. Be mad, be offended, burn a building, I don't give a crap.

[edit on 8-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
....actually watched the funeral?
How many have been to African American funerals and/or churches?
How many wathed the clip?
How many only read Drudge or some other captain in the Fightin Faxers Republican Propaganda brigade?

As the "real media" hasn't made much of it, since there is nothing really to make note of, is anyone going to stop, drop & roll long enough to realize the disinformation parry to a direct accountability hit?
Meaning, AGAIN, it's a created teapot tempest for your distration riddled enjoyment?

No? Then my White brothers & sisters, y'all go ahead on and make a ruckus about Black Church all y'all want.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Bout Time, you are clearly a racist, as you spoke the words 'black' and 'white' several times and distinguished one from the other. Now stop that!

I watched the clip several times. Very nice speech.
I have been to African American churches and other functions.
I dated an African man for a year and a half and had several other shorter term relationships with black men.
I have been immersed in the black culture.
I have (many times) been the only shiny white girl in a room full of black people.
I lived in the deep south.

Do I get some sort of cookie? A morsel of chocolate, perhaps? Please?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
I didn't hear no WMD talk during their speeches, and Bush left way before the funeral was over. Like I said, he wasn't disrespected.

This is a part of his speech which resulted in him getting a 2 minute standing O:

But others did not confine their remarks to King, nor did they temper them because Bush was seated just a few feet behind.

The Reverend Joseph Lowery, who spoke at times in rhyme, said, "We know now there were no weapons of mass destruction over there."
www.iht.com...

It's still being re-played on TV and radio, btw.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
....actually watched the funeral?

I did most of it.

How many have been to African American funerals and/or churches?

I have I live in the south I have attended from weddings to birthdays and funerals.

How many wathed the clip?

I didn't what clip?

How many only read Drudge or some other captain in the Fightin Faxers Republican Propaganda brigade?

I didn't.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Folks on the one side of this "argument" can rightfully claim due dilligence in knowing what they are talking about, as I'm a yes myself to all of my own questsions, even reading Drudge just to see the fake issue at it's birth place.

Becky, come on now, you can't see the disinformation being spun for you to take a bite into and defend?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You kiddin,BT? 'm the one that started this fracas when I said:

"What a disgraceful way to tarnish the day and the memory of Mrs. King. Lowery should be embarrassed as should those who applauded him."

I expected the libs to crawl out and defend the speeches. They didn't disappoint.

I'm just having a little fun, is all.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I dated an African man for a year and a half and had several other shorter term relationships with black men.
Do I get.... A morsel of chocolate, perhaps?

Talk about a Freudian slip.

New Orleans “will be chocolate again”.

Everyone needs to lay off the "racist" finger pointing. Let's face it, Dr. King had a racist agenda much like NAACP, and UNCF have. That's not necessarially a bad thing. O my goodness! Someone said "Pot calling kettle black." They must be racist.

Lighten up everyone. If we're playing "whose been immersed in the black culture the most" game, I lived in Africa for over a year and a half. I win!

[edit on 8-2-2006 by dbates]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join