It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush bashing during King's funeral.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
www.drudgereport.com...

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

So its now using the funeral as a place to state out political agenda against Bush. I'm certain it was about King and not about Bush. I'm tired of such crap where its so political even when attending a funeral.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What a disgraceful way to tarnish the day and the memory of Mrs. King. Lowery should be embarrassed as should those who applauded him.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If you are talking about her life, you are thus talking about what she has done and tried to do. She, Coretta Scott King, was vocal in her opposition to the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, speaking about how we would not find such WMDs.

He was speaking about what she believed...like it or not, she was Anti-War, like it or not it would be mentioned.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm sure she was "anti" many things, not just the Iraq war. But eulogies are a time to bring up the positive memories, not an opportunity to take a shot at the president, which is all it was.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Judging by the crowds reaction and the fact he was picked to speak, I tend to think he would know what she would have wanted said...

The fact, for the last 3/4[ish] years, she has been proesting the war on the basis there were no WMD it would be mentioned.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Judging by the crowds reaction and the fact he was picked to speak, I tend to think he would know what she would have wanted said...

The crowd was not reacting to Mrs. King's wishes; it was reacting to the speaker's choice of words.

And if she had been the one delivering the eulogy for another person, I doubt she would have brought up the Iraq war. She had more class than that. At least I thought she did.

There's no way to prove that he knew what she wanted to have said. But he did know what he wanted to say.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
There's no way to prove that he knew what she wanted to have said.

There's no way to prove he didn't. Unless it was previously arranged, that is...

The video of his talk is really quite good. Scroll down to "Reverend Dr. Joseph Lowery". There was a lot of laughing, applause and joy. They were celebrating her life. It may not be your idea of a conventional funeral, but if all funerals were like this one, I'd go to them more often.

It may have been exactly what she would have loved for him to say, standing right there in front of the president. I don't see why not.

[edit on 7-2-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
To oppose the war is to lack class???

:shk:

Amazing.

Reminds me of the whole Islamic cartoon thing...

The world really has lost its mind.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I think the speeches were very nice, thoughtful and pretty much showed the legacy of Mrs. king.

Yes she opposed to war and many things and is nice that it was brought up.

Excused me but only when Bush is in his control room environment with a control audience he gets the nice applauses.

That is why is always control, he goes public he will get tomatoes for just standing there.

To bad now that is considered an act of Terrorism.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
For the minister and former President Carter to use a Funeral/Memorial Service to lash out at ANYONE, particularly someone in attendance at the service, (irregardless of whether it was a prominent person such as POTUS or not) is just completely tasteless and classless.

There is a time and a place to lash out at and criticize your political opponents, but that was not the proper time and place. The fact that many in the audience applauded it does not give it class. It just shows the lack of manners those audience members happen to share with the speakers in question.

However, having said that, their behavior doesn't disturb me. I just find it startling that a man of the cloth and a former president could behave in public at such an important event with such low class, lack of decorum, and tastelessness. I would have thought they were raised better than that.

The sad thing is, they don't even realize their wrong time/wrong place behavior only reflects badly on themselves, not the man they criticized, so they are the losers ...

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have to agree that the Bush bashing was inappropriate at a funeral, however it was kinda of enjoyable to watch Bush squirm by being surrounded by an audiance that wasn't handpicked brown-nosing yes men and women.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
To oppose the war is to lack class???

At a funeral, yes. I put it in the same category as the picketers that are showing up at military funerals.

[edit on 8-2-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join these two in holy matrimony. Unlike the Bush administration, which has lied to us constantly and has been illegally tapping telephones, these two will join in a lawful and truthful bond. If, when these two say their "I dos", one turns out to be lying, then, unlike when Bush lied and people died, only their lives will be tormented, and no one will die. Unlike the Bush administration's inability to find WMDs, these two have found love for one another.

Appropriate venue?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Total lack of class by the speakers at a funeral to turn it into a political charade. I feel the same about the posters here who would support that. Typical liberal manifesto (word chosen very carefully), as for them the ends always justify the means. And that includes using the opportunity of a funeral - which is also a religious service - as a venue for attacking Bush. Gee, and how did I guess I'd find "I never said I was a liberal" BH here posting in favor of the ultimate in democrat poor taste. Better check, it may be time to empty your catbox.

BTW, when jimmy "iran hostage" carter's funeral comes around someday, think Bush would return the "favor" by pointing out all of Jimmy's (many) failures? Of course not. Say what you will about Bush's policies, but he has way more class than any of you democrats are showing.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join these two in holy matrimony. Unlike the Bush administration, which has lied to us constantly and has been illegally tapping telephones, these two will join in a lawful and truthful bond. If, when these two say their "I dos", one turns out to be lying, then, unlike when Bush lied and people died, only their lives will be tormented, and no one will die. Unlike the Bush administration's inability to find WMDs, these two have found love for one another.

Appropriate venue?

Liberal wedding vows! That's priceless. Why do I feel that you should have copyrighted them before posting here? You know that some on ATS are already thinking about using them.

You have voted junglejake for the Way Above Top Secret award.

[edit on 2/8/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Isn't it common place to talk about things that a person has done during their life at a funeral?

If you are against the War in Iraq and evidently stated that you believe there were no WMD than surely that can be mentioned? The fact was, she was right on this point like she was on many others. The people who witnessed it - members of her family, her friends clapped. Who is more likely to know what she would have wanted? Those people or someone who has never met her and disagrees with her views?

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Total lack of class by the speakers at a funeral to turn it into a political charade.

Ironic, don't you think? ...considering his attendance of the funeral alone was politically motivated. It has been well reported that he wasn't even planning on going... until of course he was convinced of its political value.

Give me a break.

Pot calling the kettle black...

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Isn't it common place to talk about things that a person has done during their life at a funeral?

Try and squirm out of it all you want. Yes, it is commonplace to talk about things the deceased has done. But those speeches were meant to attack and embarrass the president, who was also attending. To say otherwise is simply (< ---word chosen carefully) disingenuous and par for the liberal course.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Did you read the article? There was a lot more going on then just talking about Coretta Kings life. That's what is causing such an uproar. It turned into another racist endeavor by a black preacher. Spouting crap about poor blacks... Man... It's just making me queasy thinking baout how low they will stoop.

*rant off*

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Give me a break.

Pot calling the kettle black...

Interesting (Freudian?) choice of words there, loam. Keep evolving and someday you may be able to understand what's really going on.

[edit on 2/8/2006 by centurion1211]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join