It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mig-29 News & Rumors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Questionable Moldovan Mig Sales

It seems that former Moldovan Defense Minister, Valery Pasat has been sentenced to 10 yrs in jail for selling the US 21 Mig-29 fighters and over 500 A2A missiles for a mere 40 million dollars.
Apparently Iran was offering a lot more but Mr. Pasat opted to sell to the US.

Algeria Buys Migs

According to Russian aerospace industry contacts, Russia has inked a deal with Algeria for nearly 3 billion in systems purchases. This purchase includes 36 Mig-29SMT's, 28 Su-30's and 50 Yak-130 trainers.

Serbs Upgrade Migs

Serbia is spending 12 million US dollars for new navigation, communication and identification hardware upgrades on it's 5 Mig-29's. These upgrades are said to help the aircraft participate in NATO exercises.

Sources: word of mouth and company emails

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
It seems that former Moldovan Defense Minister, Valery Pasat has been sentenced to 10 yrs in jail for selling the US 21 Mig-29 fighters and over 500 A2A missiles for a mere 40 million dollars.

Ouch.

Got to be some pissed off upper-management Russians floating around the Halls of Moscow, huh?

I understand that those US owned Mig-29s will come in handy, in a variety of ways and means...

seekerof

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Wow.. the Algerian bit is pretty phenominal, lets hope we can get readable sources soon

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Maybe its like a market thing. Now the next Mig-29 coustomer will say "Hey I want the deal the Americans got"

What is the going rate for a used Mig-29?? Anybody know?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Wow, that's less then 2 mil per MIG, the US government isn't known for its cost effective deals, but this is something else

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Wow, that's less then 2 mil per MIG, the US government isn't known for its cost effective deals, but this is something else

You forgot the price of the A2A missiles in that as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   

You forgot the price of the A2A missiles in that as well.

Yeah, I’m not sure how much Russian missiles cost but if its anywhere near our price then that's easily 20 mil in missiles alone.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Questionable Moldovan Mig Sales

They'd need em wouldn't they?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   
WOW
21 Mig-29 and hundreds of A2A missiles for $40 million. Man what a insane bargin I have seen them selling for cheap compared to other fighters but never that cheap. Could be some great training tools for US pilots. It dont get much better then training against real Russian fighters I would think.

I have seen pictures from Area51 with what seem to be either SU-27 or Mig 29s. If it was the latter I wonder if this is where they got them.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The whats it called.... Red Squadran? Or....well I can't remember.

A group of US pilots who had the mission to aquire foreign planes and fly them home.

They sole a few aircraft like that from the SU.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yeah the rumored Red Hat squadron I think a Red hat is what they call a American pilot that flies stolen and/or blackmarket Russian planes.

Area 51 airspace was even known as "Red Square" before the semi-offical "Dreamland" was adopted. Perhaps a nod too the number of Soviet Planes that operate there. Or it could be because of the Nellis AFB Red Flag Exercise in which they have used Russian Migs in before such as the Luftwaffe MiG-29s

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I wonder what did the US offer to get this deal...

I bet he will spend a couple of months in prision and then off to the Bahamas in his new Gulfstream G5...

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Did they bother to check the oil and kick the tires? ...... or didn't you hear the one about the Sukhois they sold to China.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

External source
MOSCOW — Russia is set to sell $4 billion worth of arms to Algeria, in what would be its largest post-Soviet defense export deal.

Link

A littlemore on the proposed Algerian fighter purchase from the st Petersburg times, although not much in the way of official comment at this time , it seems like a very large deal, but it does encompass a whole lot of differant systems ,It would be interesting to find out more on the proposed payment scheme.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
WOW when it comes down to it...under a mill per Mig?
Ok where do I get mine?
"looks at university fund"

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Hell yeh, I wouldn't mind having one of these babies!

They kick arse, at a mill it's a bargain.....but 1 mill is like how much someone would make in their lifetime

join