It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Looking Rock Found on Mars!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
no really.... the whole image looks false. from the mini dunes in the background to the dirt in the forground

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It's a rock. maybe it doesn't have that dark of a shadow, because maybe it's a rock of ice. frozen c02 maybe?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
no really.... the whole image looks false. from the mini dunes in the background to the dirt in the forground

If that image is false then every other image in the NASA database is false as well as the 'exact' same image is on their database

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
how can you say the nasa database is false, they have all sorts of diff rocks here on earth, onces that resemble glass surfaces onces that are smooth and have wierd pieces sticking out. it could just be some kind of really old rock, thats in its own undiscovered class.

it sorta looks like a bone too.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
I zoomed the entire picture here:
It is intentionally grainy and pixelated to show the difference between edge blurring.

The red arrow shows an area where there should be shadow but it is absent. The sun is causing rocks to create shadows and the bowl shaped depression in the rock should be covered in shadow by the higher point of the rock that the sun would be hitting.

The blue arrows demark where egdes do not have the same "consistensy" (spelling?). The rocks have much rougher edges (look closely at the individual pixels) and do not blend into the picture as well as the object in question. This leads me to believe that it is most likely photoshopped, but if indeed authentic then perhaps it is man made debris.

Just My opinion, but doesn't this look like the picture was taken at "high noon"? After my analysis that what I came up with.

Wheather the pic is manufactured or not, Idont know, I'm no professional and anything can be done to a long line of 1's and 0's. But if nasa was trying to cover it up, wouldnt it have been easier for them to just 'not have a picture like that'?

Just dosnt seem normal for then to fabricate something like this for us to scruitinize. (sp?)

My take anyways, thanks!

[edit on 1-2-2006 by jta79]

[edit on 1-2-2006 by jta79]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
still looks like a piece of dirty ice to me...

where are the rovers, are they very far north?

why would NASA be trying to show us something cool by fabricating it? Wouldn't it be more likely they would try to hide it? (it it was an alien or something)

I don't think the photo is altered in any way.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
it looks like a fortune cookie that fell from a chinese spacecraft.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by airtrax007
it looks like a fortune cookie that fell f
rom a chinese spacecraft.

Lol, this is my new favorite explanation of it all.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Some of you guys need to check out the follow up images from the days after 733. The panaromic camera is the best one to look at, though the navigation cam also helps out on this rock.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

The rock becomes less mysterious in my opinion after you see some of the other pictures and some other "whitish" rocks in the background.

I will say that not having any dust/dirt on the bottom like the other rocks is interesting.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Boogie]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I've noticed lots of images where rocks have multiple shades or colors alternating like this. This one's a bit more smoothed though. That isn't particularly unusual, however.

I say it's the egg that Orbity from the Jetsons hatched out of

[edit on 4-2-2006 by AceWombat04]

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It does I think it looks just like a couple of fused rocks in a strange fasion. But one question is, what fused or modifyed this rock to look like this? Not that its totally strange, but it does look as though its been through some massive geological events does it not? Possibly a meteor impact (believe it was mensioned before by someone), or some sort of strange erosion? I'm going with the impact scenario. But what does everyone else think?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Looks like a rabbits nose.. I know!! maybe theres millions of rabbits underground!!

No serously though I think its just a rock, you can only see the rocks in that particular picture, there might be some other rocks identical to that one but what are out of view?

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
It looks part of the "ball" that the rovers used to cushon their fall. And no it isn't photoshopped, unless you're making the accusation that NASA photoshopps their own images now hmm?

NASA alter their pictures.

They wanted us to 'see' the red planet, but from a Martian perspective the sky is blue.

And I think it looks like a piece of masonry, or a rock thats been smoothed by the oceans there once were.

[edit on 3/3/06 by byhiniur]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Of anyone claiming either of those, have you ever been to a volcanic park, here on Earth? As a kid, we used to go to Mts. Lassen & Shasta [Ca., US] alot. In the park are many scenes just like this. Rough pumas rock all about, and scattered here and there are ironic smooth very odd shaped AND seemingly "pieced together" rocks ......... just like the one in question here.

Was Mars not at one time, a volcanic planet?

More than that, how can one justify what should or should not be of the nature of another planet with the finite perspective of what we know only here on Earth?

NN

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
not photoshopped... but filtered...

no biggie... sometimes filters make details sharper...

Just a rock... with maybe a clump of snow/dry ice stuck to it (the white part)

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Cool rock! Although it might perhaps be a heckler of stone (ref. Anarchy Online, the MMORPG)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join