It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

super secret aircraft

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just because they made them public, doesn't mean there is something succeeding it already, politics adds to it, also there's alot about of things on the aircraft that are still topsecret and for a long time will not be public knowledge.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by planemanThey must already have its successor.
I mean the Blackbird was kept secret for years before they unveiled it.
Must? Is there not the possibilty that they do not?

My relative who saw the craft daily in his job, asserted 30+ years ago that we had our own fleets of UFO type craft.

He asserted that we had both manned and unmanned versions. And, that we could dispatch nukes INSTANTLY, as in instantaneously to any spot on the globe under computer guidance. And, that every square inch of China had been mapped by such recon craft.

He convinced me. Of course, he was/is a close relative so that wasn't too hard.

Other relatives scoff because this source used to be quite a character as a teen. But all he has told me has fit in quite well with puzzle pieces from other sources.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
My guess is that most of the really "secret" aircraft of today are probably used for intelligence gathering or research. Remember the purpose of secracy is to keep the advantage. An enemy can't copy or counter a weapon if they don't know it exists. The problem with secracy is, it's expensive and it makes weapons harder to use. As long as it's a secret, everything done with the aircraft is tricky. All operational requirements must be balanced with security needs.

Tim

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Watching Sky news the other week it reported that they are developing a commercial airliner that can fly from London to New York in 2 hours!!!!!
Don't you think somehow the U.S military have got this technology already?
I'm no Einstein but if the commercial side of aviation have got this technology don't you think the military have it also?

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien DNA
Watching Sky news the other week it reported that they are developing a commercial airliner that can fly from London to New York in 2 hours!!!!!
I'm no Einstein but if the commercial side of aviation have got this technology don't you think the military have it also?

So someone has unveiled a flashy concept and all of a sudden its under development. Pleeeease!

The only country devoting serious effort to supersonic passenger plane research is Japan at the moment.

Neither Boeing nor Airbus will commit to a supersonic aircraft for 2 reasons:

- rising fuel prices

- Neither Europe or the USA have modified their original stance on supersonic flight overland (its not allowed by commerical aircraft), until this changes, none will be developed by Boeing or Airbus (despite the conceptual research on sonic boom propagation and direction). They want to know where they stand first.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I hear everywhere stuff along the lines that its been top secret for as long as it has because it is so advanced and high tech and successful.

What if they simply didnt unveil it because it turned out to be an utter falure?

Sure Might be fast and what ever you would like to say about it, but maybe it just wasnt cost effective, or one of many other reasons that could be, including that there is also the posability that the only place in the world where this aircraft actually exists is in the minds of all of its fanatics.

Just my thoughts

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316

So someone has unveiled a flashy concept and all of a sudden its under development. Pleeeease!

The only country devoting serious effort to supersonic passenger plane research is Japan at the moment.

- rising fuel prices

- Neither Europe or the USA have modified their original stance on supersonic flight overland (its not allowed by commerical aircraft), until this changes, none will be developed by Boeing or Airbus (despite the conceptual research on sonic boom propagation and direction). They want to know where they stand first.

I somewhat disagree with you on that one. Maybe not super/hyper-sonic all at once, but were heading in that direction.

oea.larc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 1-2-2006 by jta79]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well 1 reason the F-117 was not kept a secret very long is that it is not really a new aircraft, the basic fusaluge is made up of parts from other aircraft.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I would have thought that it would be a lot easier to keep a spy plane, like the SR71 secret, than it would a bomber, like the F-117 or B-2. Especially if you're planning on bombing someone sometime.

[edit on 1/2/06 by Implosion]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jta79
I somewhat disagree with you on that one. Maybe not super/hyper-sonic all at once, but were heading in that direction.

oea.larc.nasa.gov...

The BWB is strictly subsonic.

Yes, NASA are doing some SST research as part of the UEET (Ultra Efficient Engine Technology) program, but pretty much all of Japans aircraft propulsion is in the field of SSTs (See HYPR/ESPR programs).

Just on the BWB, your link makes me recall something. There is work ongoing on a distributed propulsion system, which will be used for boundary layer ingestion (there is a thread on that somewhere else here I think), it should lower the drag even further.

Yes, NASA do see hypersonic PAX aircraft one day, but not in the short or medium term future (prob 30 yrs+).

Try NASA/TM 2003-211896

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
check this out www.aerospace-technology.com

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Yes I do agree that this version of the BWB is for subsonic, but i was watching the nasa tv webfeed and they were remarking how they also had a technology that could reduce the drag so much they may be able to eliminate the collisions of the aerodynamic forces to signifigantly reduce or possibly even eliminate the sonic boom.

Here's some links I came up with on the technology. Nothing necisarily related to the BWB , but as the technology evolves so will the public/commercial availability.

www.aeronautics.nasa.gov...
www.is.northropgrumman.com...

The rising fuel prices should be counteracted, at least partially by the fuel economy of ultra-areodynamic aircraft.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I know they have that ability! Years ago( I forgot the year) an SR-71 Blackbird flew from New York to London in less then 2 hours. They say the time was something like 1 Hour and 54 Minutes from take off to landing. You can look it up in the Guiness Book of World Records.

Tim

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost

I know they have that ability! Years ago( I forgot the year) an SR-71 Blackbird flew from New York to London in less then 2 hours. They say the time was something like 1 Hour and 54 Minutes from take off to landing. You can look it up in the Guiness Book of World Records.

Tim

The SR-71 wasnt the cheapest plane to build or maintain. Im sure there's a market for very expensive tickets for 2hr NY-London flights but Im not sure its enough to pay for the high operating cost, let alone the debt required to build such a plane and enough spare parts to ensure continuous operation. And then we cannot forget the enormous amount of time it will take to do basic maintenance. Surely the skin will be extremely hot and because it would have undergone such extreme forces in flight it would have to be checked regularly and quickly. Id hate to be the guy who has to devise such a procedure!

I like the idea of a very fast SST. Unfortunately its not quite practical just yet unless we settle for something slower, maybe around mach 2, like the B-1 or T-160, which arent exactly cheap either. The T-160 is absolutely enormous and only costs a couple-hundred million. I would think UPS or DHL could also buy into its carrying capacity to provide premium "same-day" delivery service.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
There's a world of difference between two blokes in space suits going once and a plane full of passengers and all their luggage going at least twice a day, every day of the week.

Sometimes it is clear to me that many people just don't realise what a vast technical achievement the Concorde really was as everyone seems to think that an SST is an easy or logical step. I once saw the Concorde described as being much more of a technical achievement than Space Shuttle ever was and I can well believe it. If so0meone really wanted to build an SST without any commercial considerations taken into account, sure, they could build one, alas nobody will buy it or fly it.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by orca71

The SR-71 wasnt the cheapest plane to build or maintain. Im sure there's a market for very expensive tickets for 2hr NY-London flights but Im not sure its enough to pay for the high operating cost, let alone the debt required to build such a plane and enough spare parts to ensure continuous operation.

My point was only that it is Technologically Feisable! I never said it was economical practical, did I?

Tim

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Did they show any sketches or anything?
Have not heard of anything like that here in America.
It would be nice through a Concorde replacement....I was born into a time where the average person (Ok, one with some cash to flash
) could travel supersonic across the ocean. By the time Im 22 that marvel is gone, sorta sad to me.

Nothing in my mind will ever look as keen and beautiful as SR-71...*looks at avitar* but would be nice to think theres something as "mythical" and awesome as aurora is reported to be, out there.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316

- rising fuel prices

Have you checked out the scramjet technology now in development tested by the X43A?
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You seem to do quite a bit of leaping to conclusions if you get an imminent new mach 3+ airliner out of that.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Also check this out
uk.search.yahoo.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join