It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qestions about the F/A-18 and CF-18

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I was (as usual) surfin on the internet, this time on Canadas air-forces homepages after a disucssion in the chat room. I found out that Canada has a "special" Hornet model. The CF-18. My qestions to you are. If it equeals an American F/A-18 C, What is the difference between these models, and fianlly why don't they use the American siganture...

I found out that the Canadian version has a powerful searchlight on the left side (see picture) Anything else...?? Picture CF-18
Picture F-18 "Super Hornet

CF-18 specifications

Length: 17.07 m
Wingspan: 12.31 m
Height: 4.66 m
Weight: 10,455 kg
Power: 2 General Electric F404 low bypass turbofans
Speed: Mach 1.8
Ceiling: 15,000 m
Range: 3,704 km
Armament: Sidewinder and Sparrow air-to-air missiles, Maverick air-to-ground missile, conventional bombs and precision-guided bombs, rockets (i.e. CRV7), and M-61 20 mm cannon
Crew: 1 pilot (CF-18A), 2 pilots (CF-18B trainer version)

F-18 specifications

Two F404-GE-402 enhanced performance turbofan engines (17,700 pounds (8,027 kg) static thrust each)
Dimensions
Length: 56 feet (16.8 meters)
Wingspan: 40 feet 5 inches (13.5 meters)
Height: 15 feet 4 inches (4.6 meters)
Weights
Empty: 23,050 lb (10455 kg) -- F/A-18C
Maximum Takeoff: 51,900 pounds (23,537 kg)
Performance
Speed: Mach 1.7+
Ceiling: 50,000+ feet

[edit on 25-1-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
each contry uses differant prefixes/designations eg the us marines harrier IIs were designated av8-b and the rafs gr.5. i think im right in saying that the hornet nickname is not used used either, I know that the canadian f18s have the same ejector seat but the pilots use a differant harness layout, I thought the cf18 was the equivelent of the f18 a not c but a improved a model

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The 18 that we use is the almost same as the the navy F-18 but that main part being the landgear is a lighter version.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
canada_ EH is the hornet nickname used ? am i right in thinking that there is no official french canadian translation ? if not what is the nickname?

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Besides the landing gear, they were able to rip out a lot of other carrier specific stuff to get the costs down.

Like autoland features, folding wings, etc. Lightens it considerably.

Same was done for the RAAF, the Swiss, etc.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The designation CF-18 basically just denotes 'Canadian F-18', the aircraft itself is was built as equivalent (if not absolutely identical) to the F/A-18A.

Don't know whar standard they might be at now with upgrades etc.

This is common practice, for example the F-5 was flown by Canada as the CF-5, which was equivalent to the F-5A.

[edit on 25-1-2006 by waynos]

jra

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
is the hornet nickname used ? am i right in thinking that there is no official french canadian translation ? if not what is the nickname?

There is definately no French Canadian translation. I believe they are still called the Hornet, but I tend to just call them by there designation most of the time.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
www.boeing.com...
some info here about upgrade programe,looks like they want to get it done fast so they can get as many flying hours out of the airframe before its replaced in or around 2017,wonder what might replace it maybe jsf?
[edit on 25-1-2006 by buckaroo]

[edit on 25-1-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
waynos is right. It's like the F-15K that is license built in Korea, or the F-15SJ, that is specially built for Singapore. It's just a designation for being Canadian owned, there's no difference between them.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The plane is different Zaphod but I'd say that its just been made more Canadian.
Two features which distinguish CF-18s are night-identification spotlights (set into the portside gun-bay door ) and the false canopy silhouette painted on their fuselage. Canada was the very first export customer for the Hornet. This was a source of pride but it also meant that the CF shared in any initial teething troubles
The false canopy concept originated with US aviation artist Keith Ferris in the ’70s. Its aim is to deny enemy pilots vital visual cues in fast-moving, hard-manoeuvring aerial combat. The concept was rejected by the US military with some commentators suggesting that the resulting disorientation could be excessively dangerous for combat training. That supposition has not been borne out by CF experiences.
Also as mentioned the navy auto land feature was taken out of the CF-188 (actual designation is the CF-188) and replaced the US airforce equvialent.
Also the Hornet nickname has been used by the canadians from the start of even when it was very unoffical. As for french i'm also un aware of it being any different seeing as english is the aviation language I dont see the reason for a french translation.
Hope that the info helps Figher Master FIN.

Also interesting fact is that a canadian test pilot was brought in by the Lockheed/Boeing? To test the Super Hornet in its spin and gliding trials. Got to talk to him about his time in the States very interesting stuff.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Actually the spotlight was available to the US versions too, but they decided not to go with it since they weren't going to be using it in an ADF role. They have F-16s that have spotlights though.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thanks alot...
But still, why haven't the Finns and the Aussies renamed their planes...

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Depend what you mean when you say renamed. Are we talking nicknames or or actual changing from the F/A-18 to something else?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, here in Finalnd we call them F/A-18... And so do the Aussies... Why haven't we put a "c" or something in front of the name...??

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It's pretty much up to the owning country if they want to do that or not. Some do, a lot don't. Many of them will have some kind of designation AFTER, like the F-15K for Korea, F-15J, for Japan, etc.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The Spanish renamed their Hornet designation as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Sorry but RAAF hornets do have folding wings, landing hook etc

They are also technically known as AF-18As though its rarely used.

Spanish ones are EF-18As.

The later model C/D models exported dont tend to have the prefix though.

More info on the history of the Australian Hornet can be found here on Boeings website
www.boeing.com.au...

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Just a correction regarding to ORIEguy's post...

The CF-188 is closest to the F/A-18A, externally no different in except for the Night ID light. I have never heard about CF-18s not having an auto landing feature. The Landing gear is the exact same as what is on the F/A-18A, including the catrapault bar and aressting hook. The wings do have the wing fold mechanism, and it is used regularly by the CAF when parking aircaft in tight spaces like hangers.

The Hornet up grade will bring the CF-18 closer to the late lot F/A-18Cs with improved fire control systems, IFF antennas and GPS tracking. Also will be able to use the lates weapons like the JDAM and AIM-120. Future upgrades will include NVG and as well as switching to the NACESII ejection seat.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I've recently read where Canada is the only country who dealt directly with the manufacturer in procuring the F-18 aircraft. All other countries dealt and continue to deal with the U.S. military in those contracts. Also, after procurement, Canada builds and has added modification to their aircraft. Hence, the occasional reference to a Canadair CF-188A and CF-188B aircraft. Apparently, the avionics package in the Canadian Hornets is unique as well as the spotlight, the fake cockpit underside, not sure about the lessened equipment for carrier use, etc.

new topics

top topics

join