It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Uncovers Corrupt Officials and Fraud in Wake of Katrina Funding Fiasco (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The FBI has apparently uncovered a number of instances of public corruption and fraud, cutting across several layers of public life, as a result of the ongoing relief effort taking place in the Gulf Coast region. The FBI has been vigilant since federal relief funds started flowing into the area, whenever there's a flush of cash, officials succumb to temptation in greater numbers. No indictments have been announced yet, and there has been no word on how many cases they're looking to pursue.

abcnews.go.com
The FBI has uncovered fraud by public officials in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and has created a task force to investigate corruption as federal money pours into the Gulf Coast region, Mississippi's top agent said Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's inevitable, where there's money, there are scammers. The fact that some scammers happen to be government officials should come as no surprise. It's unfortunate, but because public service affords great oppurtunity for fraud and corruption, many people succumb to the temptation.

The real problem is that nobody suited to public office wants the responsibility or the hassle, and conversely, it's the folks who want to be powerful that really ought not to have power.

I hope this investigation is thorough and unrelenting. If we're really lucky, they'll spend some time investigating corporate corruption and profiteering in the wake of the disaster. That would be a righteous investigation!

Here are some additional threads pertaining to the discussion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 23-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

www.usdoj.gov...

www.fbi.gov...

The first link is a story about 50 people or so caught conspiring to steal Red Cross money. The second two links are government pages about the effort to catch scammers.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I wonder just how thorough the investigation will be, particularly with regard to recognizable public figures?

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
wow, there's a big surprise. the city with historically the most corrupt police and politicians in the country having problems with scammers taking advantage of people's agony. go figure.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i was, in fact, totally wrong. my bad.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by HarlemHottie]

btw, i'm kind of a newbie. can anybody tell me how to completely delete your own post, in case I do this again?

[edit on 27-1-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is like saying you found okra in gumbo, or celery, bell pepper and onion in red beans and rice, or jazz on Bourbon Street, or drag queens at Mardi Gras, or chicory in coffee. This is politics as usual in Louisiana.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.usnews.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2006/1/27 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join