It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holographic Universe & the Particle/Wave Conumdrum

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hi people, ive been reading a lot recently about The Holographic Universe Theory, and I have to say its blown my mind quite a bit. Now im not going to make a thread about it because im not clever enough
, but i have a question for anyone whos willing to answer it. According to Quantum physics, a particle can be both a particle and a wave, it becomes a wave when it is observed by an Observer. So how is possible to monitor the status of the particle if the observation of it caused it to change to a wave?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

thedoctorswife
Hi people, ive been reading a lot recently about The Holographic Universe Theory, and I have to say its blown my mind quite a bit. Now im not going to make a thread about it because im not clever enough
, but i have a question for anyone whos willing to answer it. According to Quantum physics, a particle can be both a particle and a wave, it becomes a wave when it is observed by an Observer. So how is possible to monitor the status of the particle if the observation of it caused it to change to a wave?

What do you mean by "monitor the status" of a particle? Yes, in order to make observations you have to have interactions with other particles which can influence the state of the original particle.

This comes about because particles are small and measuring equipment is big; not necessarily quantum mechanics. [At the small scale of course you have to deal with quantum mechanics whether you like it or not] If you're measuring a steam engine you can make sensors which have negligible effect on the operation of the engine and the macroscopic state (pressure, temperature, flow, etc) of the engine. If you're trying to measure atoms, and you can only measure them with other things which are made out of atoms (and not much smaller stuff) it's inevitable that observation procedures alter the state because the laws of physics work on mutual interactions.

It's like trying to figure out the properties of pebbles from the structure of the minute vibrations of a steamroller as you crush them.

And none of it has to do with holographic universe---that is a hypothesis (not proven!) about the mathematical structure, that there is an equivalence of dynamics on a mathematical manifold of one lower dimension to the dynamics in the full space. A hologram works this way in that it encodes information if phase, frequency & amplitude structure of light in 3-d despite being represented in actual physical reality of a 2-d piece of film, so the mathematical formalism which was proposed (in a very very oversimplified model) was called "holographic" in a rough analogy. You should think of 'holographic' as a particular technical term describing the property of some kinds of mathematical models. The excitement was because there was a very oversimplified model which included a gravity-like phenomenon in a holographic correspondence, and this opened up a new area of mathematical and theoretical investigation which wasn't previously known. Particle theorists often study models which they know are "wrong" (in the sense of not describing all known experimental features of particles) in order to develop intuitions and techniques which they hope later will be applicable to more realistic models.

To date, there has been no full 'holographic' reformulation of Standard Model (as far as i know) much less one which includes gravity.

edit on 27-11-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

ViolatoR
I dont think some people realize that we're not posting our own theorys on the universe here. These are things that are being found out in a lab somewhere. Quantum entanglement (or the instant transfer of information) has been proven many times, even with the teleportation of photons of light over a distance instantly. (The teleportation was really using information to rebuild the photons somewhere else instantly, through the hidden dimensions.)

Using 3 flat dimensions it is obviously hard to imagine how things could travel from one side of the universe to the other instantly, but it happens whether or not you believe it does. Holographic models have been shown to be a better explainer of the "unexplained" than classic laws of physics. Living in a universe where the thought in your head could materialize in another galaxy instantly, we come to realize that we are all connected (possibly by 6 or so hidden tiny dimensions) and distance truely is meaningless.

This is true, but you don't need holographic universe for it. You need to accept that the laws of quantum mechanics operate in an exceptionally complex Hilbert space---functions of functions, and not like classical differential equations with locality as fields on X,Y,Z,T---though there is some approximation and formulation where that's almost true.

Equations of motion deal with functionals: functions of fields, but the equations of motion of those functions are in function space which is completely incomprehensible intuitively to anybody who isn't named Hilbert or von Neumann. And yes in that function space "distance" and "correlation" can be different than distance in the fields. There's different metrics because they're different spaces.

The "holographic universe' principle means that the space of the functional space may not be as it was once thought, and there are other formulations.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NeonKnight

lol, so I suppose your mind power can create a pizza right now.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join