It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

playing HALF LIFE 2 on XP is driving me to drink!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When ever I play the game, my puter crashes! I have been to every gamers hangout site to no avail. If the game wasn't so cool to play, I would ditch it. My specs meet the requirements too!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
How many applications do you have running at the time? Does it always crash, or just sometimes? Have you tried re-installing it, or contacting Sierra?

The first thing I want you to do is make sure your computer is plugged into the outlet.
(Just kidding)

[edit on 1/21/2006 by JBurns]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
you aren't using 2 different kinds of ram are you?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Without knowing any more information, I would suggest that you try scanning your computer for spyware, and maybe even a full system anti-virus scan.

If you don't have any spyware/adware removers, try...
Ad-Aware
Windows AntiSpyware Beta

If you need a free Anti-Virus program...
AVG Free

Remember to check for updates before running the scans. All 3 programs linked to are completely free.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
and make sure you dont have useless apps running in the background while you play

also have you tried lowering the graphics settings? you can make hl2 run in some super ghetto modes can really scale it down

or so i've heard :p

/worships graphics cards

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I was having the same problem; my specs were up to par (if only just), but my system would lock up or shut down after a few minutes of HL2. I tried everything, from updating my video drivers to double-checking my RAM, to no avail... but I finally figured it out: the antics of Gordon Freeman were overheating my CPU.

Check your CPU fan for obstructions, and if you have any extra case fans, make sure those are working properly too. If there's a heat sink over your CPU, make sure it's clean as well; you might have to take the fan off to do this. This is what solved my problem, and there's a slim chance you might have the same one... good luck, nobody should have to live without a Gravity Gun.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the info guys! I did the updates, and poured over the support chat threads too. I did read about the heatsink issues. I was able to overclock my processor by 4x w/o overheating. I do have 2 different rams, and I did read about that too, but I haven't removed one yet. How absurd that we have to modify our well equipped computers just to play a game.

One fellow went to Steam's chatroom and commented on that very thing. He instantly got over 100 replies before the thread was removed. I guess the known glitches are not going to be addressed.

I will remove one of my ram and retry. Also, as if this isn't bad enough, I bought the game on ebay as new, and lo and behold someone already activated the id #. The guy offered to refund me but I will eat the s/h both ways. It will be cheaper to have steam reinstate the number for $10 more bucks.

I am so frustrated:bnghd:

top topics

join