It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miracle Whip

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i thought they used thousand island on big macs?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Ya, they do,,, he's trying to make his own Thousand Island.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy
Ya, they do,,, he's trying to make his own Thousand Island.

what he is trying to do is make there special sauce that they use on Big mac's.

Not sure if this is the one he is trying to create but it does also call for miricale whip dressing.

www.recipesource.com...

Just wanted to make it clear he is not trying to make thousand island

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
dgtempe said:

My favorite!!!!!

This stuff is great. Its just a little heavier on the vinegar, thats all. To me, regular mayonaise tastes like lard.

Try it, you'll like it!!!!!

You beat me to it!

One day I bought mayo, thinking it was the same as miracle whip, bleh, tasteless, no zip, so I added vinegar, presto, salad dressing (miracle whip).

It tastes much better, and zippier with vinegar!

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Shots, Thousand Island is the "special sauce" on a Big Mac.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Shots, Thousand Island is the "special sauce" on a Big Mac.

You might think it is however according to others it is not I gave the link to the special sauce. click on it and read it then click on the 2nd link you will see the difference between the two.

www.recipesource.com...

now here is a link to several versions of how to make thousand island dressing click on them and you will see there is a very defined difference in the ingredients.

www.cooks.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Shots, With all due respect, I worked for Mickey D's when I was a kid. Right now my best friends' wife manages one. They used Thousand Island then, and they still use it now. I can't explain why the recipes are different...:shk:

Maybe they use something else "Across the pond"?

On the subject of food "Across the pond", what the heck is Vegemite?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Beer guy, it's not thousand island dressing, I love that as well but it's deffo not that.

Vegemite? Do you mean Marmite? It's revolting. It's a sticky brown spread made from yeast extract and tastes much worse than it sounds. People usually eat it on toast, God knows why.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Marmite/Vegemite are nasty. NASTY.

Originally posted by FactoryLad
Vegemite? Do you mean Marmite? It's revolting. It's a sticky brown spread made from yeast extract and tastes much worse than it sounds. People usually eat it on toast, God knows why.

As for Miracle Whip... It's alright. Definitely good to use for slaws and pasta salads. It gives it something extra that regular mayo just doesn't have.

I don't really like it on sandwiches, though. Too sweet. It's pretty good though, and I really can't imagine using it just as a salad dressing alone.

I make my banana bread using a cup of miracle whip in it, though. You can't taste it, and it makes it ssoooooooooo moist and good. It's a must

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Shots, With all due respect, I worked for Mickey D's when I was a kid. Right now my best friends' wife manages one. They used Thousand Island then, and they still use it now. I can't explain why the recipes are different...:shk:

That is where the difference comes in the ingredients are not the same. If they used thousand island it would be false advertising too call it a special sauce :shk:

app.mcdonalds.com...

[edit on 1/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It's not too far off from Thousand Island dressing, though. I think you may just have to add a wee bit more onions, pickle and vinegar/sugar. They are quite similar, but different.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I found this. Hope it helps.

Big Mac.....ALMOST!!!!! Recipe #60368
Once upon a time I worked at McDonald's, and I used to make a TON of these things...this is how it works...we used reconstituted onions (ewww!) and canned sauce, but this is pretty darn close....
8 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
1 lb hamburger, in 8 thin patties,1/10 lb each (approximately)
8 slices pickles
finely chopped onions (at McD's these are reconstituted)
shredded iceberg lettuce
salt and pepper
4 slices yellow American cheese
Sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons catsup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish

4 Burgers Change size or US/metric
Change to: Burgers US Metric

20 minutes 15 mins prep

Source is Recipezaar.com

[edit on 23-1-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I don't know, that Miracle Whip is too sweet.
When I eat a salad or sandwich I like my dressing/spread to taste savory not sweet.

I love mayo. I put enough on a sandwich where it's oozing out the sides.

Homemade mayo is even better.

Peace

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Mirical whip is basicly salad cream, its just the same. you can buty it from antware.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My wife buys Miracle Whip all the time. So does my mother. It is good---enough. I WAS satisfied with it until I tried to make something (ranch chicken salad)I had tried elsewhere. It was too flat, almost no flavor--very bland.. When I checked with the folks who gave me the recipe, they said to use mayonaise. I tried it again. Perfect. Straight from the jar, Mayonaise has a richer flavor. Mixed with anything, it is an improvement. We keep Mayo in the house now for me and Miracle Whip for my wife. When I am in a situation where I must use Miracle Whip, it tastes like I am on a bland diet.
By the way, if you really want a good hamburger, skip the McDonalds clone you are trying to make and experiment. What I have found is to mix dry mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder , basil, and oregano in the raw ground meat with a few drops of hot sauce and cook it. Put the meat on rye or pumpernickle bread and garnish with mustard, onion, and dill pickles. Too spicy for my wife, but I love them.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Mate, haven't got a clue. I'm trying to decipher the mysterous goo macs, also known as big mac. or special sauce,

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Factory lad,

Sorry. I'm slow, but you lost me at the part where your burgers suck so bad, and yet you are trying to solve the problem by augmenting them with sauces.

I am on the verge of shipping you some steaks.

I go into the butcher's and tell 'em what I want, and how thick to cut it. T bones for 5$ a pound, if you buy in bulk.

I have three grills in my back yard. One LPG, one charcoal, and a woodburning smoker.

Maybe we should start a fundraiser for you or something.

It just kills me to hear that your spending your efforts on copying a chain sauce.

It sounds like you should be breeding better beef instead.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Dr Strangecraft, don't get me wrong...The meat over here is fine, if I fancy a steak, I can't go wrong with my local butcher or a nice piece of Aberdeen Angus steak from Marks & Spencers. Stilton sauce, thicky cut chips (er...I mean fries
) and onions rings...Top it off with a pint and that's good eating.

Problem is, I just don't like the taste of burgers. Apart from the old mad corporate clowns...Something about them. I had a big mac the other day, I hadn't had one for a while...It was sooo good. The taste of the special sauce, gerkhins, processed cheese (american cheese I think it's called in the US)...Everything that you shouldn't eat inbetween two buns.

I wanna recreate that in *slightly*more of a healthier way and deny the clown some of my hard earned cash

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
My Fellow Americ.......Sorry. I'll start again.

My Fellow Brits. Please let's not import any more of those radical Yank foodstuffs. Colt 45 and Bud was bad enough but do come on.........

Make do with Hellman Mayonaise or Heinz 57 Salad Cream/Mayonaise.

At a pinch you could put tomato puree in mayo to make Thousand Island dressing. It would look like that crap they put in a Big Mac, but taste a lot better.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
No no no! It's the ultimate quest...A bit like trying to find the brand of vinegar used at the chippy, it's not malt vinegar, it's not Sarsons...What the hell is that stuff? It's definitely not malt vinegar and water, I've tried that.

I use plenty of Hellman's in my tuna sarnies...

I WILL make Big Mac sauce..It is my destiny!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join