It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sensing spiders'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I hate the things.. and given I'm from Australia I have even more reason to hate them. These are the most evil ones [they look mean]:

evil spider

One morning I dreamed that one of these little fellows was crawling on my stomach so I woke up, screamed, jumped up and ran to the other side of the house. I went back to see if it was still there [or even existed].. it wasn't.. then I went to the doctors to get the egg shaped lump that had developed on my stomach an hour after the dream and had it looked at. They said it looked like a white tail bite [it didn't ulcerate but it was sore for a week]. Several other times I have 'dreamt' a spider is in my room.. I usually wake up.. turn the light on and.. of course there's a spider in the most unreachable place on my ceiling. The last time I dreamt a black window spider was above my beadhead.. I woke myself up.. and of course there was an black window spider above my bedhead in the same exact location.

It's kind of comforting to know that my intuition is 'on guared' protecting me from these little vile creatures that a scheming and plotting against me.. but how? It's bitch black.. there's no way I could 'see' their shadows.. and they don't exactly get a round with tapshoes on so I'd hear them. Do we have inbuilt motion sensors? Am I picking up the vibrations in the air?

I've had 'other' paranormal experiences but this seems for an instinctive thing than a mystical thing. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Jinxed myself. NOW there is a spider in a completly inaccessable spot on my ceiling.
I haven't even gone to sleep yet.
[edit on 19-1-2006 by riley]

[edit on 19-1-2006 by riley]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't think you really "sense" them, it sounds like you are just very "aware" that you have a spider problem. I'm pretty sure you'd sleep better if you got rid of the spider problem in your living space.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What if you're picking up the spidey pheremones? I "sense" spiders, too. I've always wondered how a nearby spider could wake me from a sound sleep. It's not like they're making noise.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Spider senses tingling!"

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
ROFL! Too funny... ran to the other side of the house... LOL!!! Oh, that sounds like me. LOL
(I am a bit better now, but spiders are my number 1 'problem' when it comes to enjoying nature.)
I'll pick up a snake and move him gentely to the woods, but for no reason at all, I can 'just know' a spider is ---> over there and I move in the other direction.
LOL

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
OMG i totally know how u feel i scream like a banshee at the site of spiders just chatting about them and seeing that pic makes me ill
but the same thing happened to me i dreamt i had a spider on my head but when i woke up it wasnt there but however i woke up in the morning ironed my clothes for work and what fell out of my hair but a hugh 8 legged freak (yuck) u can imagine my screams it could have woke the dead. my solution was i got a cat they love em its disgusting what they do with em but hey if it stops em crawling on my head then so be it lol

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
I don't think you really "sense" them, it sounds like you are just very "aware" that you have a spider problem.

Strange.. I didn't ask if I sense them.. I asked why.

I'm pretty sure you'd sleep better if you got rid of the spider problem in your living space.

I'll make a note to fumigate the backyard and tape up all the air vents.. as for my 'living space'.. It's happened in all five of them. Again.. I live in Australia. The whole country has a spider problem [the one lastnight was escaping a thunderstorm RIP].

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Busymind
What if you're picking up the spidey pheremones? I "sense" spiders, too. I've always wondered how a nearby spider could wake me from a sound sleep. It's not like they're making noise.

That hadn't occured to me but it makes sense. I think smell is our most accute sense.. it could be a combination of things as well. I'm glad to know it's not just me. Do you already 'know' where [which part of the room] they are before you get to see them?

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
I'll pick up a snake and move him gentely to the woods, but for no reason at all, I can 'just know' a spider is ---> over there and I move in the other direction.

How on earth do you pick up a snake gently? Do you use a stick for it to curl around? I can pick up lizards no probs.. snakes? No.. I might be willing to handle a one of the smaller pythons though.. so long as it's a hatchling.

Originally posted by Moonlit Shadow
the same thing happened to me i dreamt i had a spider on my head but when i woke up it wasnt there but however i woke up in the morning ironed my clothes for work and what fell out of my hair but a hugh 8 legged freak (yuck) u can imagine my screams it could have woke the dead.

EW.
Maybe you felt it.. getting tangled up in there and squashed it in your sleep. Reminds me of the baby spider in the ears urban legend..

Did the spider look the same as it did in your dream?

[edit on 20-1-2006 by riley]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I like spiders being around.
Spiders don't live off nothing, they have to eat.

The question is, what are they eating?

I can rest assured knowing my spidy friends are cleaning up, sure as hell I ain't

Better spiders than flies or whatever types of bugs.

Next time you see a spider remember what I said, and while you remember, look at the spider and marvel at how amazing this creature is, an amazing killer cleanup machine, keeping bad bugs at bay!

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It seems that are a number of "primal fears"; snakes, lizards and, of course, spiders. I have to ask how these fears came to be so ingrained in the psyches of some people. I am also reminded of something that I read about birds. It seems that small baby birds are keenly aware of the shadow of hawks passing over them. This occurs even when the baby birds are altogether unfamiliar of the existence of hawks and yet they react quite negatively. How is it that these baby birds know to be afraid of their natural predator?

Perhaps in some dim corner of human history, our predators were snakes, lizards and, yes spiders? I am also irrationally fearful of spiders. I hate them and I become anxious when I know that they are present or even when the possibility of their presence is likely. Indeed, this fear is a very primal one. But I have to ask, just how big were spiders in prehistoric times? Were they much, much larger? Is their evidence that spiders "hunted" early man? How did we develop this primal fear?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I dont know if this will help at all, but everyone sleeps with their eyes open a tad. You are probably seeing them in your sleep so your dreams go with it. Kind of like sometimes if your alarm clock is going off it will play into your dreams. I hope you get your spider problem fixed. That would totaly creep me out.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
This occurs even when the baby birds are altogether unfamiliar of the existence of hawks and yet they react quite negatively. How is it that these baby birds know to be afraid of their natural predator?

I think it's called 'instinctive knowledge' like when babies start nursing.. I think holding your breath if you fall into water is one as well [?].

Indeed, this fear is a very primal one. But I have to ask, just how big were spiders in prehistoric times? Were they much, much larger? Is their evidence that spiders "hunted" early man? How did we develop this primal fear?

They've been a contant threat.. I guess in caveman days we wouldn't have had anti-venom so we would've had to develop some sort of defense. What doesn't make sense is I've met a woman who was terrified of moths.. and she was certain they chased her. I didn't believe it till I saw her running around the house swatting at this crazed moth.. couldn't stop laughing.

Toadmund.. daddylong legs are acceptable.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by riley]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
I dont know if this will help at all, but everyone sleeps with their eyes open a tad. You are probably seeing them in your sleep so your dreams go with it. Kind of like sometimes if your alarm clock is going off it will play into your dreams.

I'm honestly not sure.. when I was bitten [few years ago now] it would've been inside my pj top [cringe] so wouldn't have seen it in my sleep. It accounts for a couple but not when it's too dark and they're out of my line of vision. Maybe we can see certain kinds of light in the dark that we're aren't conciously aware of or it's shadow was being refracted? Another possibility is the electrical current in the air.. I can certainly feel TVs etc so maybe insects and animals emitt [not sure if thats the right word] electrical impulses as well.

I hope you get your spider problem fixed. That would totaly creep me out.

Thanks. It's only happens once a year or so.. it happened again a couple of weeks ago so I decided it was more than co-incidence and got curious. They might not have even intented to crawl on my bed.. better to be safe than.. running around the house screaming like a lunatic.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
riley said:

Toadmund.. daddylong legs are acceptable.

Yes, those and wolf spiders are my favourites. I don't think either one of them spins webs, I know for sure the wolf spider doesn't.
I believe they are both active hunters, they chase and catch their prey.

I know that if I have spiders, I have less other bugs around, if you kill spiders they stop eating those bugs you really hate, flies for one, landing on your food after they've been lickin' turds all day

Yecch!!
Hail the arachnids!

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Toadmund]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I was once stalked by a spider/s for a weekened

On the thursday i killed a spider in the bath (please don't judge me, im a coward i know) and then friday i was in the bathroom when one crawled down the wall and dissapeared somewhere.
On the saturday one crawled from under my bed (me being the wuss i am had to phone my mum who was downstairs to get it).
Then on the Sunday morning i woke up for no apparent reason, then looked toward my top bedside dresser draw (which was half open)... and then that horrific moment when the legs started to creep out one by one *shudders*
I doubt it was paranormal, but it was still a pretty freaky series of coincidences

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Wolf Spiders (the American ones) are no problem with me. I can handle them without being bitten if they are not in a grouchy mood.

Other spiders? Don't get me started...

On the spider "sense", I believe it can be used awake too. Quite often too. Example, today when I was under and going through some wood debri... I felt as if I should pick the next wood block up carefully. I did so, a full grown female black widow, exactly where I felt it would be...

How? I'm going to go with a 6th sense, as everyone has one unique of some sort.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
God I can't stand the creepy crawlies.

When I was very young we lived on the west coast. One night I refused to go to bed and kept crying when my parents were telling me to go to bed. They finally asked why i didn't want to go and I told them a really big ant was on my bed. They got off their lazy butts finally to check it out. It wasn't an ant, It was a scorpion.

Later on in life my father was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. They had to take his leg off just below the knee.

God I can't stand the creepy crawlies.

Wupy

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Spiders? Even the word is frightening...

I am 6'4" tall, 250+ lbs., and nothing amuses people more than seeing me running shrieking into the night because a little spider has gotten within 20' of me. Yep...reeeeal amusing.

The fear I think originates way back when our remotest ancestors lived in wilderness and had no recourse to medicines. An ingrained primordial fear like that would be transmitted through our genes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, otherwise it means I'm a coward. I mean scared of an itty bitty little spider *shudder*.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Great, now I'm going to have the shivers all night thinking about them

It seems I'm in the club here of hating spiders, alot. I just wish I could sense them. I usually only see them out of the corner of my eye when they decide to move, and that's when I realise just how digustingly close they were to me.

Good stuff on the senses. Shame it has to involve spiders, though.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FudgeStix
Then on the Sunday morning i woke up for no apparent reason, then looked toward my top bedside dresser draw (which was half open)... and then that horrific moment when the legs started to creep out one by one *shudders*

You described that so well..

I doubt it was paranormal, but it was still a pretty freaky series of coincidences

What is it?.. "There is not such thing as coincidence.. only the illusion of coincidence." Not sure if I buy into it or not but it seems an apt thing to say.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
At least spiders are better than flies and trap them.

I had a vivid awake dream once where I touched a spider in my dream with my eyes awake, it was in front of me and was able to reach out to it. It was kind of weired to explain but its like this that I was able to interact with my dream by pointing to the spider and touching my dream whists awake or eyes open, almost like another dimention it seemed - eventually it sizzled away like spirals guess thats how dreams look if disturbed. But anyway its a mysterious website so I'll give it a mysterious story one which is as real as I can put it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join