It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sensing spiders'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
When you describe the spider sixth sense it makes me think that with the fear of spiders comes hypervigilence, with that could come a part of your brain that has actually tuned itself to that realm of consciousness/dna that a spider resides in, this way when one is near that part of your brain picks up the "radio station" Or maybe like the other poster said, pheneronomes.

I have seen many of brave confident men run like all get out faced with a spider for a foe.

The freakiest spider incident I had was when standing in a small entrance to a cave packed tight with a few friends and someone flicked a bic and I looked up and saw the biggest ever spider on the ceiling very close to my head. I am not lying in was bigger than my hand!

I ran out real quick as did the rest of them!

Primal fear, indeed.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I've been afraid of spiders all my life, I'm not as bad now as I used to be as I can co-exist with them now - unless they're BIG!

I've read all the other posts and there are are many shared experiences - Spiders DO seem to come after you if you're scared of them - even my friends and relatives have noticed and it's a bit of a joke to them often saying things like "It had to happen to you" as I walk through yet another web!

This brings me to the sensing spiders phenomena (it doesn't work with webs!). I frequently (although not always) sense the presence of a spider. Most often at bedtime, I guess that's because there are less distractions.

One thing about a phobia though, is that it creates a fascination of the object of fear. Two recent particularly memorable occasions were when my son and I were leaving a restaurent and spotted an obviously foreign spider in the doorway. My guess is that it was delivered along with some fruit to the restaurent. The thing is though, it was beautiful (in a shudderingly kind of way) It was shaped like an Orb spider, about 2.5 inches long, including the legs. The colour of it was black, not black as in the absence of colour, but black as in a vivid black! Across the back of the abdomen was a clearly defined white rectangular stripe (I was amusingly reminded of a Fresian Cow). The front legs were bright red at the tips, and gradually became darker closer to the body. I've searched for hours on the internet, but cannot identify it. (It's just occurred to me that someone in the Science Forum might be able to i.d it).

The other memorable occasion was when I returned home from work in the early hours of the morning (I work shifts). I walked into the lounge and under the sofa was the biggest House Spider I've ever seen! It was 4 inches across at least - It was huge!!! But it was definitely a typical British House Spider - apart from the size! - I could even see its face! I was so shocked, I spoke to it (well, swore actually).

[edit on 12/6/08 by Insomniac]

[edit on 12/6/08 by Insomniac]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
For YEARS I have been encountering visions of very large black spiders when I am in the state between sleep and being awake. More than once I have jumped up, thrown off the covers, and turned the light on - never to find a spider. Most people have posted that they sense the spider, investigate, and then find one. I never find one. The spider is always big, like the size of my head, and seems to be suspended in front of me. It's creepy.

The most recent experience happened a few months ago. My son and I were sitting on the couch watching tv - me dozing off as usual. Suddenly I saw/dreamt of the spider and jumped up trying to brush the thing off of me. I ran and turned on a light to look for it. Nothing. Only my son sitting there totally stunned watching me.
Must have been hilarious for him.

Other than that I don't have a fear of them, just of them getting stuck in my hair. I am one of those who will capture them and release them outside whenever possible. I am curious as to the significance in my "dream" though.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by glad_to_be_His

That sounds very interesting. We could always look up symbolism and dream interpritation but then that depends on what you subconciously believe they represent.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildar

As for daddy long legs, be careful many people have been killed by them, because people believe they wont harm them. They still have venom but they usually dont use it. Unless if they feel threatened.

Hilda

This is an urban myth.

Daddy-longlegs (Opiliones) - these arachnids make their living by eating decomposing vegetative and animal matter although are opportunist predators if they can get away with it. They do not have venom glands, fangs or any other mechanism for chemically subduing their food. Therefore, they do not have poison and, by the powers of logic, cannot be poisonous from venom. Some have defensive secretions that might be poisonous to small animals if ingested. So, for these daddy-long-legs, the tale is clearly false.

Daddy-longlegs spiders (Pholcidae) - Here, the myth is incorrect at least in making claims that have no basis in known facts. There is no reference to any pholcid spider biting a human and causing any detrimental reaction. If these spiders were indeed deadly poisonous but couldn't bite humans, then the only way we would know that they are poisonous is by milking them and injecting the venom into humans. For a variety of reasons including Amnesty International and a humanitarian code of ethics, this research has never been done. Furthermore, there are no toxicological studies testing the lethality of pholcid venom on any mammalian system (this is usually done with mice). Therefore, no information is available on the likely toxic effects of their venom in humans, so the part of the myth about their being especially poisonous is just that: a myth. There is no scientific basis for the supposition that they are deadly poisonous and there is no reason to assume that it is true. What about their fangs being too short to penetrate human skin? Pholcids do indeed have short fangs, which in arachnological terms is called "uncate" because they have a secondary tooth which meets the fang like the way the two grabbing parts of a pair of tongs come together. Brown recluse spiders similarly have uncate fang structure and they obviously are able to bite humans. There may be a difference in the musculature that houses the fang such that recluses have stronger muscles for penetration because they are hunting spiders needing to subdue prey whereas pholcid spiders are able to wrap their prey and don't need as strong a musculature. So, again, the myth states as fact something about which there is no scientific basis.

UCR Spiders Site

Snopes also makes mention of this myth:
Snopes

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
i hate spiders but centipedes are even worse, i would be sleeping and wake up for some reason and have a centipede in the wall near my bed. this happens a lot of times. they give me the heebie-jeebies. and yes i know the feeling the op describes in this thread, i dont know how to explain though, its like our mind notices when we are in danger.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Picollo30]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
that's sweet dude

in a deep meditative trance i've seen the faces of insects and recognized them as they entered my aura a number of times, and when i'd open my eyes they would be there, i can't do it without intense relaxation and thought though that's cool that you can sense that without trying

i have to admit though it doesn't sound like a very good omen for you.

i'm quite certain in a past life i was a spider, a male black widow, it's weird but in this life i have a real strong connection with spiders and other insects arachnids or bugs that are their prey or somehow not a threat, insects and arachnids and other bugs that would be a threat to the spider i have a real diversion to, like esp roaches and parasitic things that eat whatever

anyways i was just sharing that with you because i'm pretty adapted and common to 'spider senses' and i know for fact that spiders do not go out looking to bite people, of course if you're in australia the funnel web spider can be aggressive, but usually it's safe to sleep right next to a web with a black widow in it because the black widow, unless provoked has no need to bother you

i know alot of people will have a problem with that statement, but the point is they would rather not have anything to do with us

but from past experience i would say that the activity you are talking of would signal that for some reason you have become their enemy, have you ever heard someone say spiders know when you kill one of them. or that if you kill one more will come? this might sound crazy, but from my intense connection with spiders specifically i've learned that's not too far from the truth, spiders are one of a kind and any enemy of one spider is an enemy to all spiders...

my intuition tells me they know your karma somehow, maybe in a past life you were a threat, or in this life you radiate yourself negatively towards arachnid kind, i would suggest speding more time around wild spiders without handling them and seeking a meditative mind in their presence.. or get a pet tarantula and read up on taking care of it

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
dreamed of spiders again.

hot tip. when you 'feel' something crawling on you.. no matter what you think it is.. squash as flat as possible and ask questions later.

ew

[edit on 13-4-2008 by riley]
I read this thread for the first time earlier today. I agree with squash and ask questions later but--I have problems with spiders after being bitten by a brown recluse about 20 years ago when I was in the Marine Corps and was laid up for a month. Today after reading this thread I got creeped out about spiders again and then decided to take a nap. My 3 month old Siamese kitten jumped up in my lap and I caught myself just before I administered a good squashing to the little guy.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I honestly have thought for a long time that the spider sixth sense thing is real!

I'm petrified of the things, big or small! i've woken up out of sleep only to gaze in the direction of the things, I swear it's true, thought it for years!

I'm so scared I have my bedroom window sealed with a net, i've had those sonic plugs, which btw in my experience do not seem to work that great! i've tried the conkers, everything!

I'm the ultimate wimp when it comes to spiders! and moths

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
When I was little by grandparents told me it was a good idea to shake out clothes/shoes in case of spiders, and I've done it every once in a while ever since.

I have had the same experience with spiders on occasion. It only seems to ever happen when a brown recluse is involved though. Twice its happened to me where I've seen the spider skittering (browns are disgustingly fast) across the floor of the room when it was pretty messy, not really all that weird except I caught it with my peripheral vision when I could barely see the thing when I was looking straight at it.

One other time I decided to shake out a hat before putting it on and boom it fell right out, that was freaky.

I actually don't mind bigger spiders and have held tarantulas before. They have the sensibilities of a large thing though, if you tried to hold a brown recluse it would probably go from your hand up into your armpit before you could blink they're skittering quickness and the mindlessness I assign to them because of their size is what scares me the most.

Unfortunately the previous post about giant sized spiders is complete bunk. The biggest ones ever being not much bigger than goliath spiders.

Giant spiders

There was a promising one that would be about the size of your head but it turned out to be a sea scorpion, Megarachne servinei.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well, add me to the list of the spider sensors. I *know* when there's one looking at me. I feel where it is.

Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but it happens all the time. I'm so hypersensitive about them.

I HATE spiders. I've been bitten by them too many times in my life to count. If they would just leave me alone, I wouldn't have a problem with them, but they scare the crap outta me. I'm not scared of anything else -- just spiders...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well I want spidey senses! I am terrified of spiders. I will run screaming or I will stay in one spot paralyzed while screaming. I swear they block me in! They know I am afraid of them!

I had a spider, a huge brown one with fur, crawl over my foot and I thought I was going to die...lol I jumped in the tub and wouldnt move until my roommate came it and made sure it was gone

You are lucky you can sense them!

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join