It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown speech promotes Britishness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Britain should have a day to celebrate its national identity, Gordon Brown has proposed in a speech portraying Labour as a modern patriotic party.

The chancellor used his first major speech of 2006 to urge Labour supporters to "embrace the Union flag".

In an address to the Fabian Society in London, he said it is important the flag is recaptured from the far right.

Mr Brown said promoting integration had become even more important since the London bombings.

"We have to face uncomfortable facts that while the British response to July 7th was remarkable, they were British citizens, British born apparently integrated into our communities, who were prepared to maim and kill fellow British citizens irrespective of their religion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Excellent news. Its about time we start promoting our identity and our patriotism towards our Union. I have both the Union Flag and the Flag of Ulster in my room hanging with proud. Its about time the government started promoting who we are

Well done Mr.Brown

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
What would this accomplish in reality ?? Would the minorities feel anybetter or would it make Britons more fanatic. Isnt that what this war is against ?? Fanaticism ?
It would seem odd but Britain has nothing of a national day as other nations do like the US for example because the British (from what I gather)more or less just decided on one fine day that the King was doing a shoddy job of ruling the 'kingdom' and a parliment would need to be set up to represent the people better. As for independence I think it was only the Romans who had for a breif spell taken over england unlike other nations like France, US etc.
I mean to celeberate being a Briton on a "british day" would mean that that day was representative of something symbolic, say granting independence(which does not apply to the UK) or an event when Briton was reinvented into its present model( which I think happened over a period).
other events like the battle of Trafalgar or the Battle of Britain are just parts of British history and I think have their own days. Maybe the day of the signing of the MagnaCarta or maybe after the English Civil war.
I cant really see one day that would credibly epitomize the very Britishness of the UK as the Scotish and the Irish have their own priorities.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I cant really see one day that would credibly epitomize the very Britishness of the UK as the Scotish and the Irish have their own priorities.

Wrong,
Northern Ireland is very patriotic and so is Scotland. All provinces of the Union would welcome a day like this. British represents Britian, which is includes the Welsh, Scotts and Ulster so i cannot see how they would have their "own priorities". This will be great to respark the Union.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
All provinces of the Union would welcome a day like this. British represents Britian, which is includes the Welsh, Scotts and Ulster so i cannot see how they would have their "own priorities". This will be great to respark the Union.

You have still avoided answering the most important question of all, Which day would epitomize all that it is about being British ??
As for the Irish they are glad to be left alone and with the new Scotish parliment, they are a happy lot too with the autonomy. But which calendar day would you use to unite all the kingdoms and tie that day to some histroic event in British history too ??

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
You have still avoided answering the most important question of all, Which day would epitomize all that it is about being British ??
As for the Irish they are glad to be left alone and with the new Scotish parliment, they are a happy lot too with the autonomy. But which calendar day would you use to unite all the kingdoms and tie that day to some histroic event in British history too ??

To make everyone in the Union united and feel apart of something. Patriotism. From reading your post, i feel you are unware that Ireland isn't united and Northern Ireland is still in the Union(northern ireland are very patriotic towards the Union even thou Sinn Fienn/IRA say otherwise), just cause the Scots have a parliment, does not mean they want to be left alone.

Battle of Trafalgar or the monarchy Birthday are likely to be the main two, but im not sure what they will use.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Battle of Trafalgar or the monarchy Birthday are likely to be the main two, but im not sure what they will use.

But arent these days already celebrated by the British ?? The battle of Trafalgar was merely a battle of the English fleet against the Armada and is more of a celebration of the military victory. Surely it does not symbolize all the democratic values does it??
Like in America it is simpler, the 4th of July symbolized by the Bill of Independence states all the values the American people hold dear to them . Isnt there a day when Britain identified and ratified itseld

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Wrong,
Northern Ireland is very patriotic and so is Scotland.

- Well OK, I know this is true of some there in NI but one could hardly say all (especially considering 40-something % are estimated to be either Irish 'nationalists' or Irish 'republican').

All provinces of the Union would welcome a day like this.

- If it means closing the 'public holiday gap' with our European partners I'm sure few would turn down an extra day's holiday!

But that isn't quite the same thing, is it?

British represents Britian, which is includes the Welsh, Scotts and Ulster so i cannot see how they would have their "own priorities". This will be great to respark the Union.

- I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings about this but I think the flaw here is this idea that so many either care or will grow to care quite so much about the 'Union'.

Who knows, maybe you're right, I have my doubts but maybe another 'Bank Holiday' will help.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Its a good idea, we all like a day off and when its coupled with a bit of flag waving and a parade it could be great.

Perhaps have someting similar to the Trafalgar celebrations after we won the ashes, though the date would be the problem.

The date would be difficult though, Trafalgar is a nice idea but it was in October and thats too cold for a big celebration. Perhaps have an Agincourt Day or something to foster European integration?

Or better yet Dunkirk Day, nothing better than celebrating a terrible defeat!

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   

The battle of Trafalgar was merely a battle of the English fleet against the Armada and is more of a celebration of the military victory.

Erm the Battle of Trafalgar was Nelsons Victory of Nepoleons fleet are you confusing him with Sir Walter Raleigh?
Anyhoo its a good idea to celebrate Britain, we have a lot to celebrate. Id also like to see St Georges day celebrated like the Irish do with St Paddies day as well.
We should stop feeling ashamed as a nation of who we are.

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Text
Erm the Battle of Trafalgar was Nelsons Victory of Nepoleons fleet are you confusing him with Sir Walter Raleigh?

Trafalgar was Nelson, the Armada was Sir Francis Drake! Raleigh came along afterwards.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe

Text

Trafalgar was Nelson, the Armada was Sir Francis Drake! Raleigh came along afterwards.

They were about at the same time, served in Elizebeth I court and were both prominent ath the time of the Armarda, you are right tho there is no proof that Raleigh fought the Armarda but then there isnt any proof he didnt

Sir Walter Raleigh

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Janus]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Fair enough, but hes not the guy you first think of when thinking about the Armarda. And surely he would have boasted had he served?

top topics

join