It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fire walking: damn cool or what

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
i have read many times from google searches that when people goes to a trance/higher state of mind ie mind of matter thingy,

is it really true that we can overcome pain, if so, how do u explain this, fire walking: where people walk on burning coals. yes so what if u can overcome pain but what im interested in is, how does one appear without a single burnt or scorched mark on their soles of their feet on the other side? or is it all really nonsense.

Admin edit to remove profanity - this is against the Terms and Conditions

[edit on 15-1-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Well i cant give you any scientific reasons, what i will say is the all it is is mind over matter. Im sure youve heard the saying befor. The mind is a power thing, if you believe in something enough to your mind it becomes real. And if it is real in your mind, in your reality, who is to say it isnt real?

Look up on the placebo effect. It shows you the everday power of mind over matter.

[edit on 12-1-2006 by wang]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
so u impying that we live in the matrix sort of world, a simulation, where one can just will it to happen.

ps world peace

[edit on 12-1-2006 by rottonralph101]

mod edit to remove quote of previous post

[edit on 12-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well let me say this.I have tested my pain tolerance for many years.And sorry to say but pain if used for certain means can be felt as being desirable.

Pain just like any other feeling is based on sense and signals.

Pain is a supposed signal telling your brain that there is damage to the body.

Many People dont like pain....Others study its purpose and value.I like pain myself.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yes, you're all right.
The mind can be 'programmed' to overcome pain. I think it's a martial art practice. The thing is, I don't think that walking on burning coal is good for you.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Back when I was in my late teens to early twenties I used to firewalk. I did it so much that my friends used to chant "firewalk, firewalk, firewalk...".
It would only happen after much intense preparation, i.e. jack,bud, whatever

However, that "mind over matter stuff" took a long time to master. Usually took me a week or more before I wasn't limping......

I know it's possible, just don't do it intoxicated,,,,, trust me!

mod edit: discussion of drug usage is not allowed

[edit on 12-1-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I dunno....Personally the way I have trained with pain is by experiencing it then working on the after effect the "pain"and studying its purpose and ability to envigorate(sp?)

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Did it at a corporate retreat - twice. No pain involved - the perspiration on the bottom of your foot and the rather limited time in contact with the coals means no problemo.... Has nothing to do with any mind tricks - simple physics here.... Makes for a good photo though....

Just don't stop and stand in one place - then you will burn your foot..!!

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well Ive personally never done that im talking about burning and cutting yourself in ritual

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Did it at a corporate retreat - twice. No pain involved - the perspiration on the bottom of your foot and the rather limited time in contact with the coals means no problemo.... Has nothing to do with any mind tricks - simple physics here.... Makes for a good photo though....

Just don't stop and stand in one place - then you will burn your foot..!!

I agree 100%. Although I do believe in the possibility of mind over matter, walking over hot coals is simply an illusion of a dangerous situation. Not only does the perspiration on your feet protect you, but the coals are also wood - a very poor conductor. The thick layer of dead skin on the soles of your feet is also a very poor conductor. Another factor to note, the coals exposed to the surface, the surface that you walk on are not glowing. This indicates a dramatic drop in temperature compared to the ones underneath that are red hot. And the practice should probably be called "Walking quickly over hot coals".

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well, under hypnosis, if someone puts a cold penny on your arm, and tells you the penny is hot like fire, your will react as if it had been burnt where they placed the penny.

So, i think it's possible also in the opposite way: if you convince your body/mind/whatever that burning coal isn't hot, or that you're not going to get burned, your body behaves accordingly. In a nutshell, i think it's some sort of self hypnosis

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I cant provide a link, but after watching the discovery channel for far too long, Ive seen many specials on firewalking or related matters. While there may be other ways to perform this act, many people will callus their feet and rub special herbs, oils, etc. on their feet to help in feeling no pain. They would also meditate for hours on end before the event took place and 'lose themselves' in thought. Something similar to what I would imagine being in the numb state before an OBE, quite honestly I could be entirely wrong.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I remember a paranormal programme on english telly a while back. There was a burning-coal walker who was giving it all the spiel saying that he has to hone his psychic abilities to allow himself to be immune to fire (or some sort of hocus pocus). The scientisst guest says words to the effect of "your talking tripe. Anyone can do it... look, I'll even show u myself". So the scientist gets up, with no previous training, and does it live on T.V. Needless to say, the coal walker looked a little bit silly heh. mind over matter

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I dont know though, I was in the city to go hang out at the warf, and there was this dude named eric cash, he has a website at ericcash.com but this guy is nuts, he was jumping in mid air and slamming his feet into broken beer bottle glass and it wasnt doing a damn thing to his feet, last time I remember falling on some glass it split my hand right open, and his feet wasnt even scratched, he even let people int he audience touch the glass I got to and it was deffinetly real, so I kinda believe int eh mind over matter. If you look at QiGong masters they'll bend and break sharp steal swords with there throats.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i will remove my post/quote if u tell me how. the edit function is not available to me for some unknown reason, so help me...

ps world peace

new topics

top topics

join