It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plato's Cave Allegory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
i always wondered this after first seeing the matrix and im just sat here waiting for a guy to offer me the two coloured pills (i think thats what it was i havent seen the film for months now)
i have never read plato but this seems quite interesting i may have to check it out.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That story is one of my favorites. Some may have noticed so in my member name. I too think that the story rings true today. When one is 'married' to a belief, the last thing he wants is someone telling him he is wrong. This I believe is the biggest issue facing conspiracy theory. We all have pet theories and most of us don't want them to be blasted out of the water.

shadow watcher

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
@ Shadow

Shadow,this is another thing that I beat like a "dead horse." Everyone in this world wants to be right. As I always say, not everyone can be right. Someone has to be wrong. And no one can be right all of the time, even though there are those who think they can be and are right all of the time.

[edit on 5-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I had a moment to ponder and arrived at this possibility;
When the opportunity to leave or retreat back into the cave arose, we opted to leave. In the back of our collective minds we longed for what the cave represented. When we as a people evolved, we still desired the cave mindset. Perhaps as we advanced further, we constructed an entire reality within a much larger cave. We have the illusion of freedom, but in reality, we are all in our hiding places perceiving what we think is real.

(This is coming from a medicated point of view...excuse the thoughts)

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think,the pills are drug that affect one's brain to dream.

The matrix is inside your brain.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ekkavit
I think,the pills are drug that affect one's brain to dream.

The matrix is inside your brain.

So where does that leave us on the Allegory itself?

What are you implying in reference to Plato's work?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
While,I do not think that ignorance necessarily brings happiness,I do think d60 has a point. Here is what I have found true. The more you know, the angrier you tend to be. The truth will always anger because the truth is harsh.

When one looks at the world today, one sees a world that is debased by ignorance. However, those that commit some of the most heinous crimes are often times quite knowledgeable. Now, I for one, upon the "revelation" that I had been lied to practically my whole life,whether that be intentionally or unintentionally is beside the point, became very angry. Although, with a little age that rage somewhat dissipated,it still lingers. There are things that I know that sometime,.... I wish that I didn't. In instances like that,sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Its a great allegory for our perception, and I will probably use it in the future. I was going to start a thread but I'll just bump this one instead. Gives 'don't look into the light' a whole new meaning for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join