It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell yeah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

sweet check this out dont know if its been posted before, its been awhile since ive been on here, when i saw this on the internet i knew ATS guys would like this.

I think this is awesome, more accurate and fear inspiring then a Nuke to me, and no radiation fall out, Big Big plus in my book

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What exactly is so sweet about a weapon that needs a whole 747 to generate enough energy to work? or even worse, putting these systems in space? the problem with energy weapons is not the weapon itself, its the energy source!

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
sorry i guess i didnt explain all this well enough, Yes right now they are huge and take a huge energy source to power it, but just think of the research, I mean When computers first came out they were huge and costly, now we have computers that fit in our lap or on our desk that are ten times more powerful, Or think about cell phones, the first cell phone was used in the New York i think and it was like the size of a Brick and the battery power only allowed a maximum of 20 min talk time and the phone weighed nearly 4 pounds, now we have phones that fit in our hand Have more power and longer battery life with a Lithium-Ion Battery that can last up to 3-4 hours of talk time on a phone that doesnt even weigh more then 10 ounces.

Point being that as research continues, these SWEET space weapons will no longer require huge energy sources like a 747 to power them,

Imagine NK launches nuke say 5-10 yrs from now we blow it up with one of these weapons, then we use the weapon to destroy all known Nuke silos in NK instead of launchind one of our Nukes and completely destroying all the North Korean People, and then by using a weapon like this then there wouldnt be any radiation fall out to hit china or SK or Japan,

That is the SWEET thing about this type of technology

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is a great development for a variety of reasons.

They will allow a true global reach and allow attacks within minutes that will make hypersonic weapons seem slow by comparison.

They will also enable a more effective missile defence shield to protect aginst ICBM launches from rouge states.

Lastly, the technology developed will filter down to the public sector as well.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Actually ABL won't enter service until 2009 at the earliest. And Falcon ground laser vehicle probably not until 2015. The same with laser equipped F-35Bs. And Space lasers (if we ever) 2030.

[edit on 13-1-2006 by NWguy83]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I favour railguns over laser guns, IMO a physical projectile will always be best for armor penetration.

and would you really want one nation to have so much power that they could strike ANYWHERE in the world? whenever they please?

And will these weapons be viable for infantry warfare at all? even if those laser are portable (size of rifles and pistols), ofcourse the same applies for railguns.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I favour railguns over laser guns, IMO a physical projectile will always be best for armor penetration.

and would you really want one nation to have so much power that they could strike ANYWHERE in the world? whenever they please?

Lasers travel at the speed of light, which is far faster than a projectile from a railgun.

Well thats what the U.S will be capable of in 10 years.

top topics

join