It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was the Bible censored?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I have heard numerous stories recently in the news that there were many books of the new testament not published in the Bible because they didn't fit the agenda of the Catholic Church or whatever Christian organization printed the first Bible or close to the first Bible. How can anyone believe what's in this book if it was purposely censored so that some information and truths could be denied the public? And how can anyone believe what IS in the Bible to be true? Why wouldn't the people that censored the Bible also CREATE stories for the Bible that fit their agenda?

some info on the topic can be found here:
www.bibleman.net...

Peace!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Truly, I don't think they really knew they had an agenda. If that makes any sense.

Their 'censorship' was just their instrumentality of something far bigger than just a human agenda.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Their 'censorship' was just their instrumentality of something far bigger than just a human agenda.

Could you please explain. I don't understand what you mean here at all! Thanks!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
When the Bible was first put into text much was left out. Probably much that told of the true meaning of life and GOD.

However, those in charge of the Bible realized they would lose control of the masses if the true "truth" came out.

The Bible has been rewritten and translated many times over. These are the writings and translations of man. Not the word of GOD.

If GOD wanted the Bible to be truly his word it would have appeared in complete form, and he would have not needed man to write what he had "spoken".

If one truly wants to discover the meaning of why we are here I suggest studying the space time continuum and the guiding light. After all, Jesus himself said "I am the light". Most don't understand the context of such. However, this madman does.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

However, those in charge of the Bible realized they would lose control of the masses if the true "truth" came out.

The Bible has been rewritten and translated many times over. These are the writings and translations of man. Not the word of GOD.

Isn't this a horrendous piece of our history. Not even the Bible can be un-tainted by man's greed and need to control others. That's why I hate religion. I have faith and that's all I need!

Now..madman....how DOES one study the Space Time Continuum?? and the Guiding Light for that matter? Thanks and I am serious. Please elaborate! Thank you!

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy

Not even the Bible can be un-tainted by man's greed and need to control others

your right about this statement...even tho the bible has been altered and tampered with, the true message still gets thru. it still has its supernatural power that man cant touch. its truely and awsome book, by the way, whos author is not from this world. its no wonder man has been trying to change what it says. the only way they can do anything about it is to take peoples minds off of it. (not only religious empires, but government empires as well) thats why there is so much of a battle for the human mind...keep it confused....keep it occupied...do this....do that....now! death, aids, starvation, war, now go buy a lexus!! is it real, is it true?? what if it isnt, what if it is?? but never let the mind hear the small still voice in the middle of the storm....

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Isn't this a horrendous piece of our history.

I'm sorry to tell you that this 'history' is completely untrue. The idea that the bible was edited, that books were removed, etc, is quite false.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
If one truly wants to discover the meaning of why we are here I suggest studying the space time continuum and the guiding light. After all, Jesus himself said "I am the light". Most don't understand the context of such. However, this madman does.

Actually, I do. But why make it known? It is a solitary understanding.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by roger_pearse
I'm sorry to tell you that this 'history' is completely untrue. The idea that the bible was edited, that books were removed, etc, is quite false.

I think there is confusion between 'removed' and 'never included in the first place.'

The bible has been the victim of translational mutation far more than at the mercy of a red pencil.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Actually, the bible is a collection of different writings, that, over the years, was determined somehow to be the 'true' word of God, divine and inspired. There WERE other 'books' or collections of writings, and at various turns, they were abandoned for one reason or another by the church.

For the New Testament there were criteria for acceptance; apostolic authority was one (it had to be written by an apostle, or by someone who was associated with them), it also had to conform to current beliefs, the 'rule of faith', and finally it had to have been generally accepted and in use by the church.

The Old Testament, if I remember correctly, was first a collection of writings of Hebrew canon. At some point, around 70A.D. I think, there's some 20 year debate on which teachings, both oral and written, are canon.

Even so, there's still differences of opinion to this day. For example:

Catholic Bibles have 73 books, 46 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New Testament. Protestant Bibles have 66 books of which only 39 are in the Old Testament. Protestant Bibles don't have the books: Tobit, Judith, Baruch, Wisdom, Sirach, 1 and 2 Maccabees, and parts of Esther and Daniel. They are called the 'Deuterocanonicals' by Catholics and 'Apocrypha' by Protestants. Anyways, the seven books are from the original greek Old Testament, the Septuagint.

There's a lot of debate on the authority of some of these set aside books.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The book of Wisdom (apocrypha) is awesome! Anyone who likes reading the bible should read this, if they haven't already. It is 'Sophia.'

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Actually, I do. But why make it known? It is a solitary understanding.

Actually Annie it is a solitary understanding. However, I believe much of the world's problems would come to a halt if more were enlightened with the connection of the two, and how it relates to one's spirituality.

The guiding light exists everywhere. Most just don't recognize it or have failed to comprehend the relationship between the light, the continuum, and our existence.

If this was understood by most everyone would put down their weapons, prejudices, etc. and come to the understanding that we are all one.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Wrong...how can you possibly believe this? And....where is your proof? Sounds like an opinion to me!

The book of Wisdom (apocrypha) is awesome! Anyone who likes reading the bible should read this, if they haven't already. It is 'Sophia.'

Sophy...as in Jesus' daughter? that's very cool! Is the book of Wisdom in any Bible or is there a particular one I need to look for? Thank you!

[edit on 10-1-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Sophia is the Greek word for wisdom. The Apocrypha can be found online, but the problem is, the wisdom contained within the Apocrypha is very easy to twist. I have read all the books of the Apocrypha and the Testament of Solomon, Thomas, etc. and they are all very interesting - the problem is that they hold a wisdom which appeals to desire more than it appeals to love.

If anyone wishes to read them you must rid yourself of any ill-feeling, otherwise you are likely to be consumed by desire. The books are very difficult to read. I often felt compelled to stop reading, but curiosity always got the best of me.

I could post a link, but I assume that'd be against forum regulation. If you're really interested U2U me.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The guiding light exists everywhere. Most just don't recognize it or have failed to comprehend the relationship between the light, the continuum, and our existence.

Madman.....can you educate me? Can you elaborate on this relationship? Thank you!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I think people have this idea that the bible was a ready made book that just dropped from the sky.

it is a collection of writings spanning over periods of time.
and another commen misconception is that it was put together by the roman catholic church..this is also historically untrue...look in any history book.

the bible was not put together until after 325 AD. prior to that there were ecumunical consuls where bishops and patriarchs and other members of the one holy and apostolic church would meet to discuss issues in the formation of the church. meaning...the catholic church did not exist at this time. there was one church...nothing like the catholic church is today...that again is not opinon...its in an historical text or even ask a priest within the church they will tell you. there was a unity between the greeks and the romans at this time.

anyway...they met to discuss various issues of worship and so on. a to sum it up, 2 lists were made....one of the books of the bible written by the apostles...the other list was made of writers that were after the apostles...early church fathers or martyrs of the christian faith that were disciples of the early apostles and so forth.

a ecumincal councle met in nicenia to discuss biblical text and the formation of the bible. but just as some asked here...the philsophers at that time begged the question how do we decifer heretical texts from divinly inspired texts. again i think it is important to note that INSPIRED does not mean dictated. yes it is the word of God...but it isnt dictated...if it was then why do they all have their own points of view...different writing styles..etc. that doesnt mean they arent perfect or the divinly inspired word of God... where God is quoted that is dictated of course...but isnt not like God did some mind control or something...it was guided by the holy spirit.
anyways...the consul met...and decided through prayer and what not that the best way to go about decifering through heresy was one...to base it on tradition which was widley known..again...you have a much closer time period to christ and his apostles here. and to also form a creed. what does it mean when a person says they are a christian? so in 325 AD the consul together formed the nicene creed, this is the testiment of the christian faith, it is on the principles of that document that the books were chosen.

the apocrapha was chosen ..because it was the second list of books that were formed. these books however are more historcial books, and books of inspiration. they are not regarded as being to the same divine perfection as the actual old and new testiment.

as far as the old testiment goes...that was already in place. Christ was a Jew, and he was sent to fulfill jewish law. there were already Jewish Books of teaching in place.

The catholic church was not formed until the Great Schism of the Christian faith. which was a gradual process but none the less accured when the Roman Church body wanted to impart a pope which the Church in the east (otherwise known as the Orthodox) felt was theologically wrong and also because of the Crucades in 1054. The Church of the west wanted the crusades the church of the east didnt. Im not calling either one of them evil..thats just how it was. also there was the disagreement of the role of Mary in the Christianity..the romans began to worship her while the church in the east held her as the theotokos. (look it up the name explains how they feel about her.) The east also disagreed with the stone statues that were being made of the images of christ, and mary, and other saints. The Christian church for the first part of its history only had things painted in oil on wood to depict things. So the church in the east felt that making graven images of biblical people was crossing a dangerous line. Never the less the Christians at that time met in counsuls to discuss their greivences. and still respected one another and remained under one living church body while they debated the wests change in scriptural interpretation.

The Schism of the Christian faith and the final establishment of 2 denominations in the Christian faith was final in 1204 when the Romans sacked constantnople...the center of the church in the East during the crusades because the east would not support it.

So that is pretty much how it goes. i know it doesnt sound vary supernatural but it depends on how you look at it. as many of you know im christian but im not catholic. so im not trying to make the catholics sound bad or anything but their early history isnt the greatest. they made a lot of mistakes...which the last pope they had acknowledged. talk to just about any catholic priest and they are pretty open about their terrible past..at least the ones i have talked to. nevertheless im not catholic...for various historical reasons...no offense, but i respect them as fellow christians.

Hope that helps some,
Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
LIGHT is a Wave, until you look at it, then it instantly becomes a Particle, or Photon. This tenet of Physics is also a parable for your life, you have millions of possibilities each day, until you choose a path. Then it instantly becomes your reality.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The Romans colonized the promised land given to the jews at the time of Moses. They ruled the people through the pharisees (church leaders) along with brute strength. Jesus IMO was a political and religious reformist who was executed as a rebel. Some say Pilate didn't want to kill Jesus, but yet he still did it, and according to what I've already stated, he had plenty motive. People want to blame the jews for Christ's death, but I blame the Romans because I believe they were secretly over the corrupt church leaders. They created catholicism to avoid jewish revolts, but they are the very ones who killed Jesus. Their previous religion was zoroasterism. So when they started noncanonizing biblical texts, it was an attempt to make a hybrid religion of the jewish religion and their old pagan religion. This is can be seen in the holidays that we hold holy to this day, which are all secretly ancient pagan holidays. All the days of the week are named after pagan gods, as well as every month of the year except december which was the tenth month of the roman calendar.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The only reasons I could think of, well to be honest I wrote every probably reason it, for not putting books into the bible are the follow:

1. Same story as another book no need to repeat
2. Was too far off topic and may have delt with things other than Jesus
3. They did not feel it was the word of God when the read it
4. Taught things that were thought to be not true
5. Or maybe they just felt that that, this book was not needed simply because.

The only things that I find hard to believe if these were the books, is why is it that many stories are repeated as well as contradicted. But that seems like logical things but I suppose you could few it from a different perspective saying such as the "people in charge" thought that this would not work in making humanity into sheeple ( sheep people
) or any other reason that has been deemed conspiracy. But this topic does have a lot of opinion in it, so I doubt there will ever be a definite reason.

[edit on 1/10/2006 by The_Final]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I have heard numerous stories recently in the news that there were many books of the new testament not published in the Bible because they didn't fit the agenda of the Catholic Church or whatever Christian organization printed the first Bible or close to the first Bible.

Sort of...

If you want to understand why the Bible is what it is, I think it helps to look at early Christianity like you would any other religion that you have no emotional ties to.

From that perspective, the Bible resulted from the various cult leaders basically writing lists of what they thought should be considered scripture, based on the traditions they had been taught as well as the writings of the earliest cult fathers. Later leaders would lean on the earlier leaders and add their two cents worth. There were also known multiple and disparate version of some of the books.

There was an alternate version of Matthew floating around used by the Ebionites that was missing the first 2 chapters, and did not cast Jesus as divine, or his death as an atontement for sin. There were also entire books left out that some early cult leader was either unfamiliar with, or thought heretical for one reason or other.

So you end up with a hodgepodge of books based on the whims and biases of the cult fathers, where executions or other political force was frequently employed to determine who was right. That approach continued right up through the Reformation, when Catholics killed protestants, protestants killed Catholics and protestants killed protestants.

...but let's not bicker about who killed who, this is supposed to be a happy occasion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join