It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOLD, 25 yr. HIGH, played down in news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I've been watching Gold prices for some time now but got very keen when the old head of Forbes magazine, came to Australia last year, and on a "Meet the Press" talk, repeatedly told everyone to sell their Gold and bring the price down to $420 AUS., which he still said was too high but may have to settle for.

This guy absolutely hammered this point. I just knew there was no better time to invest in Gold and told all who would listen. Yet even those who listened didn't take my advice, silly buggers, hee hee.

So why now that it has reached a 25 year high, is it being played down in the news to the point where some even 'miss' posting or mentioning the Gold price?

Well they flashed it so quickly on last nights news, after mentioning the 25 year high but in a weird, garbled way that made it sound like it and Silver and their mates were just out having a bit of fun, that I only think I saw $542 AUS. then poof!

23 years ago, it WAS THE NEWS, along with predictions of a third world war, people thought it was heralding.

How bad are things going to get now that so much smart, important 'money' is buying Gold like crazy, but so few want to 'advertize it' to the general public?

[edit on 9-1-2006 by suzy ryan]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
suzy ryan,
Good Day, The price of gold is very very interelated to the price of other commodities, but it is also the safest place if the business, stock, currency and property markets are volatile uncertain.

I and Others posted some info on some of its causes below on a current ATSNN story.

ATSNN Article

And also something related some time ago, well Im glad no one took up the bet now on the price of oil, but I was right about gold etc! and I believe oil by end of spring: Read:

ATSNN Oil at $64 A Barrell

Also another previous ATS thread on just gold and its rise:

Gold Prices Soar Whats Going On?

Im glad you bought some too, interesting times we live in eh?

Regards

Elf

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
``

for several years now, that Dr. Savage on the radio has been boosting the idea of John Q Public investing in gold.
~ i think most of the ads are for gold coins though~ which costs $ to store

then, the pop media was always tootin-the-horn about some billionaire
that's been on a mission to corner a big % of the silver market.

and then as gold was inching up for 2 years in a row, the same pop media sorta poo-poohed gold saying it was 'slightly' going up because the peoplein India have a strong jewlery market in gold....& the wise saver wouldn't mess with gold.

and then last year (or so) the China market in gold got kicked off...
as the citizens were allowed to buy, purchase & trade in the metal.
but the pop media, directed the masses towards energy/oil...

being the contrarian i am...in 2001 when the mutual fund family i have finally! offered a Gold & Precious Metals Fund...i straight-away put some $$ in it....

well 4 years later the Gold returns been UP 95.54% ...in a few more years maybe i'll have enough $ to make a minimum down payment on a Harley or maybe a modest car.

keep reading between the lines there suzy ryan

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well I've always been taught that Gold goes up before a war and a 'good' war takes decades to plan, which ties in with last time it boomed like this.

Keep in mind, this isn't just the best price in 25 years, 25 years ago it skyrocketed. Now it's booming with so much more IT and related investments to compete against than then.

I've also, always seen the last couple of decades of wars, as 'practice runs', and feel we are coming close to the 'main event'.

I think this is why it is being played down. It makes a lie out of 'Mission Accomplished" and "we're preparing to pull out". I know my whole generation was taught the war-gold connection at school, but how many people remember school lessons decades later, unless the news reminds them?

Any 'predictions' for when and at what price it will stop?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Seems to be more indications of further and long term high price of gold:

Jan. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Gold rose in London as investors and speculators bought bullion to diversify from assets such as stocks and bonds.

Gold reached its highest since January 1981 on Jan. 9, on speculation that higher oil prices will spur inflation, increasing the metal's appeal among some investors who regard it as a way to preserve purchasing power. Gold surged almost 13 percent in the 14 trading sessions to that high, 5 percentage points less than it gained for the whole of 2005.

Bloomberg

In addition:

LONDON (Reuters) - Gold, at its highest in a quarter of a century, is set for further gains in 2006 and has the potential to breach $600 an ounce, analysts said on Wednesday. Investment bank Macquarie and precious metals refiner Heraeus said gold had strong fundamentals.

Even the skeptical portions of the market are now looking at this:

Another bank, Barclays Capital, was more skeptical about many of the factors often used to explain gold's rally, but said it recognized early signs of a changing attitude toward bullion among longer-term investors.

Reuters 11Jan06

In Addition an effect that will inevitably have a large impact on this that is not IMHO being realised more is:

Further dollar weakness, talk that Asian central banks might buy gold and increased inflows of new investment money were all cited as positive factors for bullion.

Source as Above

It is truly a global web and very easy for one factor to tip the balance on another factor creating feedback to itself. A Thread here on that which is ultimately affect this topic in the near future is here:
US Dollar Weakening

Regards

Elf

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The current price of gold is not even , a fair value of the so called precious metal. a fair value might be 1,000 USD per ounce to 8,000 USD per ounce. You see the reason why the media is playing it down, is the obvious fact, that no one really cares about , real, hard assets anymore, it's all about the dollar.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
crusader can you please explain why you think a fair value for gold would be $1-8k US per oz? Something is only worth what someone will pay which happens to be rate around $540 per oz at the moment.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well, it's $549 now.
A week or two ago when it hit $517, some morning news readers started exciteably bantering about "getting out the metal detectors", then there was a look of, "Oh, O.K. we'll shut up." look on their faces and that was the last 'attention' I've seen the news give to gold prices.
They aren't even warning of a bust to the boom, like they usually do during these sorts of skyrocketing prices.

This is usually the sort of, 'good, money news', they love to beat to death to distract people from war and other 'bothersome' issues. So why aren't they?

Call me cynical, but I find the most important 'news' is what they aren't telling us and other than not (yet) pulling gold prices from the finance reports, they are telling us 'jack'.

Where ever it goes from here, up, down, to the moon or hell, I think history will show (as it does, with gold) we should have paid attention to , the "why" of it all.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I just learned that in march the fed is going to stop publishing! the M3 #'s which is one of the good measures of inflation

www.federalreserve.gov...

This economic stat has been published publicy for a long time, and now they are going to just stop
Something just smells funny, and I wonder what's in store? This could be a sign that big inflation is on it's way, and gold might make a good investment

I came across this great thread discussing the M3 issue, and some of the posters make very intersting points.

www.peakoil.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
I just learned that in march the fed is going to stop publishing! the M3 #'s which is one of the good measures of inflation

www.federalreserve.gov...

This economic stat has been published publicy for a long time, and now they are going to just stop
Something just smells funny, and I wonder what's in store? This could be a sign that big inflation is on it's way, and gold might make a good investment

I came across this great thread discussing the M3 issue, and some of the posters make very intersting points.

www.peakoil.com...

Ahh, good to see warpboost, you using the "sence of smell".
I'm really not trying to be funny.

What I find with alot of people is that they see (read), hear (listen) and think they think about it, but "feel", "taste" and "smell", kept even deaf and blind people alive for thousands of years, yet so few people use these sences anymore.
No wonder we're all being led like lambs to slaughter.

When something is "off", your brain screams, "swallow it and die". I know I'm being 'expansive' with the meaning and function of these 'sences' but I do actually believe that with an age of smooth surfaces, uniform foods and deodorized everything, that part of our brains has become sluggish.

This may even be behind the the acceptance of "womens intuiton". Feeling the tension in a child that lies they're O.K., tasting the food they prepare, sniffing out that mess the cat left buried in one of the rooms, these sences don't terminate in the brain but connect with a miriad of other connections.

This Gold news (lack of) also just "smells off" to me.

Ohh, and thanks for the links, warpboost!

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by suzy ryan

What I find with alot of people is that they see (read), hear (listen) and think they think about it, but "feel", "taste" and "smell", kept even deaf and blind people alive for thousands of years, yet so few people use these sences anymore.
No wonder we're all being led like lambs to slaughter.

...I know I'm being 'expansive' with the meaning and function of these 'sences'

This may even be behind the the acceptance of "womens intuiton". ...

i think your alluding to the 'mirror neuron systems'
ny times

"Mirror neurons allow us to grasp the minds of others not through conceptual reasoning but through direct stimulation. By feeling, not by thinking"

which starts making connections with our reasoning and our imagination
and another trait known as conspiracy theory which is more active & pronounced in some individuals (probably+90% of ATS members)

your/our sense or feeling about Gold, might be your recognition that the elite are busily conducting disinformation about Gold and trying to dissuade the masses from getting on the band-wagon, and possibly getting some 'wealth' too.

as soon as authorities or financial planners go on-&-on and do elaborate explainations that Gold is too volatile for the little-guy to invest in, or is just a commodity & is for speculators only.....then my hearing goes into hyper-mode & i start paying more attention.

'They' can't control all those public information sources out there, any blanket of secrecy will leak like a sieve...that is IF you are savvy enough to 'see' through the flack

[edit on 12-1-2006 by St Udio]

new topics

top topics

join