It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Pat Robertson lost his mind?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
www.jpost.com...

From saying that Sharons stroke is God's wrath to calling for the assasination of world leaders, Mr. Robertson has had a very controversial past year. Although he is a leader of the "christian conservatives", his comments appear to be very un-christian to me. I know very little of the 700 club, but isn't it time that Mr. Robertson was removed from power. His comments seem detrimental to the cause.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yes, Pat Robertson has lost his mind.
He had and has no business running his mouth concerning Sharon and asserting what he did, because quite frankly, what goes around, comes around. Accordingly, the day that something terrible happens to Pat Robertson, he had better be praying beforehand that those he has condemned to "God's wrath," do not likewise, call his own misfortune(s) as punishment, the will of God, or "God's wrath" visited upon him.

seekerof

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Eh, robertson has lost his shock value. He's really just another whittered old coot whos gotta trash talk people for ratings, really sad.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Yep, he's really lost the plot.

If Al Zahari said the same thing we would all jeer and laugh, pat deserves exactly the same response.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Pat roberson is the biggest reason why there should be seperation of church and state. The sad thing is, there are people who think he is a Christian and listen and agree with what he has to say. Sadly, msot of those people vote republican

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
he' sorta.. noisy and crazy. IDK, maybe if we ignore him he'll go away. lol

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
To say that Pat Robertson has lost his mind implies he once had one. Perhaps you give him too much credit.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Rev. Robertson is slowly slipping into dementia, common to people his age.
Even though his followers are many; the negative impression he conveys of fundamental Christians has forced his censorship. We won't be seeing Pat in front of a TV camera much anymore. Actually he is more to be pityed than scorned. Still I won't miss him except he did provide some comic relief at times. Now I do miss Jim and Tammy a lot. God love em all!!

I have a feeling the 700 club will now be for the golf course not the TV studio.

[edit on 9-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I cannot believe that anybody still listens to that guy. He is the one who used 700 club donations to fund his air force and supply chain to his diamond mine he purchased (no doubt with donation money as well). He makes money off of those who blindly throw theirs at him.

This is the same guy who claimed god personally told him that he was to broadcast the second coming of jesus live. Unfortuneatly at the time he didnt have enough money to do so. Thats where all his followers came in with their generous donations. We are still waiting for christ Pat....

This is the same guy who gave dates for the second coming of christ. He claimed god told him personally. In 1982, then when he was wrong again in 1984 ect. I wonder who he is really talking too.

The guy is a lunatic. He talks to invisible figures who are always wrong. Maybe he suffers from a mental condition. We do send people to the hospital for these very symptoms.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Pat Robertson is an angry, angry individual who needs to learn when to keep his mouth shut. As I posted on another Robertson thread,

"If Christians would read the Bible, instead of just watching TV, they would understand that people who claim to know exactly why God does what He does are usually false teachers," said Mr. Robertson. "God disciplines American Christians for their willful ignorance of the Scriptures by having me embarrass them every 60 days or so with another ridiculous remark."

Source

However

I heard an interesting interview that caused me to dig a little deeper. Apparently, Robertson was talking in context of Joel 3 when he made that statement about dividing Israel. The People For The American Way or whatever the Robertson watchdog group that professes to be Christian had a spokesperson in the interview, too. After the Joel point was brought up, they didn't contest that he was, in context, relating what happened to scripture. The spokesperson explained that the Bible doesn't apply today as it did when it was said.

That I have a problem with, too. Robertson definitely puts his foot in his mouth time and time again. As I quoted and agree, you can generally know a false teacher in someone who claims to know God's motives in all His actions. Robertson was wrong in his assessment, I believe, but at least call him on being wrong in the context in which he was wrong, rather than a sound bite.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Pay hasn't lost his mind, he just really likes the taste of show leather. He chews on his shoes all the time.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Perhaps he has not lost his mind, maybe GOD recalled it!

:shk:

Impeach George Bush!!! Pat Robinson for President!! Why not take another chance?

[edit on 9-1-2006 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
God didnt recall it, he recieved it, and in his infinite wisdom, regifted it

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The more I'm thinking about this, the more it's bothering me. So far this thread has consisted of several ways of calling a person nuts, prohpets claiming he'll get his, and assumptions that a controversial talk show host in this regard should be removed from "power", but there hasn't really been any discussion on what he said and why. Why not?

Well, apparently the thought police have hit the airwaves in force, and many, myself included, dutifly condemned where we were told to condemn without looking into the issue ourselves. We assume that, because Robertson says some pretty wild and, I would contend, foolish things (e.x. "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." - 1992 GOP Convention), we must condemn him any time he opens his mouth.
The more I'm thinking about this, the more it's bothering me. So far this thread has consisted of several ways of calling a person nuts, prophets claiming he'll get his, and assumptions that a controversial talk show host in this regard should be removed from "power", but there hasn't really been any discussion on what he said and why. Why not?

Well, apparently the thought police have hit the airwaves in force, and many, myself included, dutifully condemned where we were told to condemn without looking into the issue ourselves. We assume that, because Robertson says some pretty wild and, I would contend, foolish things (e.x. "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." - 1992 GOP Convention), we must condemn him any time he opens his mouth.

So what did Pat Robertson say that was so outlandish and horrible, deserving, as some have alluded to here, death for? Here's the full context of the quote:

"Ladies and Gentlemen I said last year that Israel was entering into the most dangerous periods of its entire existence as a nation. That is intensifying this year with the loss of Sharon. Sharon was personally a very likeable person and I am sad to see him in this condition, but I think we need to look at the Bible and the Book of Joel. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land.' God considers this land to be His. You read the Bible and He says 'this is my land' and for any Prime Minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says 'no, this is mine.' I had a wonderful meeting with Yitzhak Rabin in 1974. He was tragically assassinated, it was a terrible thing that happened but nevertheless he was dead. And now Ariel Sharon who again was a very likeable person, a delightful person to be with, I prayed with him personally, but here he's at the point of death. He was dividing God's land and I would say woe unto any Prime Minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU, the United Nations, or the United States of America. God says 'this land belongs to me. You'd better leave it alone.'"

Source

If one of our members were to say that and we were to react as we have on this thread, there would be several warns, at least. Pat Robertson related what took place to the Bible, specifically the book of Joel. The prophet Joel talks about the price for dividing God's land, Israel. He then goes on to mention the other Israeli prime minister who had given away parts of Israel, Rabin. What was his fate? Assassination. Now the other prime minister who did the same thing, Sharon, lies in a medically induced coma brought on by a stroke. Robertson drew a connection here. He made a claim, albeit a controversial one. He supported his claim with evidence and reason to believe it. Is he right? I don't think so, but who knows, we're not going to discuss what he said, only that he's a crazy idiot that needs to die.

Why do we let the media and others do our thinking for us? Why do we allow them to decide what ideas can be discussed and what ideas can't be? Is condemning an idea because it comes from a questionable source, no matter the validity of the idea, really denying ignorance?

Shame on all of us.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
As usual, you make some pretty good points JungleJake. I guess in only the context of this particular quote from Robertson about Sharon, there is nothing really wrong about quoting verse and linking it to current events.

However, when you compile the several controversial comments he has made in the last few years, it appears Robertson is off his rocker.

P.S.- maybe a similiar thread should be started about Harry Belafonte. Bush is the greatest terrorist? DAY-OH!

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28
As usual, you make some pretty good points JungleJake. I guess in only the context of this particular quote from Robertson about Sharon, there is nothing really wrong about quoting verse and linking it to current events.

That is something I'm starting to question now, because like you and many here, I jumped on the dump on Robertson bandwagon. It just made sense to dismiss his comments as hateful and idiotic because of all the other hateful and idiotic statements I've heard him say via the media. Now I want to look back at all of those quotes and find out if this is another case of media character assassination, or if he really is off his rocker but, in this one case, was not deserving of the attacks.

This was a real eye opener for me in many respects.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
i honestly believe that pat robertson never had sanity to begin with.

i could see him starting a group of terrorists in the name of jesus, sadly.

let's just hope he never gets into a position of political power

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Jake, I didn't really bother to look it up either. Now that I read that, it makes some sense. I'll be praying that things are okay with him.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I was flipping around the channels the other night and happened to stop on the 700 club program and saw pat Robertson make these comments.
I was also looking for someone who started a thread on this but couldn't find one. I was sure someone had started one because there is one started whenever he says something controversial. I didn't find this thread until today.

I don't think you can call him the leader of conservative christians because there hasn't been an election for this position, so to say this you are lumping all conservative christians together and saying we voted for him. This didn't happen.

The last controversial thing before this that he said I believe was, the supporting of the assasinating of the Venezuelan President. I don't think that was wise and that statement did harm to his credibility, BUT.............

God is in charge of life and death. As of right now as far as I know Mr. Sharon is still in his coma but is alive. God did allow this massive stroke to occur to Him. Yes, it looks like Mr. Sharon had an appetite for food that certainly didn't help the situation but God did allow it to happen. I remember the runner Jim Fixx some years back and how he was a "model" for running and fitness, then one day you hear that He died(I wanna say he died while he was running, but I'm not sure). So a seemingly thin healthy person who stresses exercise, up and dies when it appears he shouldn't. The conclusion, God is in charge of when EVERY person is born and dies.

I also wouldn't be so quick to say that God is not at work in this situation. I would also not be so quick to say He isn't trying to get the world's attention in this case. It was late August '05 when Israeli's living in the Gaza strip began to be forced from their homes(literally). The Bush administration(not the first) wants a 2 state solution to the Palestinain problem. So they probably did some arm twisting regarding this. Then shortly after this began the US was hit with Hurricane Katrina(I believe the costliest hurricane ever to hit the US). I do not for one minute believe this is a coincidence. God is dealing with and trying to get the attention of this nation.

I remember reading that on September 11, 2001 Colin Powell was going to deliver a speech at the United Nations with a major announcement there, on the Israeli-Palestinain issue. That speech did not happen, because of the other events of that day.

There is a Biblical basis for what he said regarding the not dividing up of the land of Israel. He was very blunt, is why it has alot of shock value. Have you noticed how all eyes are focusing on the Middle East? The Bible tells us Jerusalem will become a burdensome stone in the last days. The Bible tells us that the final battle is there. Jesus Christ is going to return there.

Alot of people are also under the impression that God either 1). made the earth then allows whatever to happen here happen, because He doesn't care, or 2). made the earth and got fed up with people so gave up on us, or 3). cannot do anything about what goes on here

NONE of these is true. God has and will always be involved it what takes place here. A sparrow doesn't fall to the ground without His approval. The acts of mankind are under much more scrutiny from God.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I just thought of something else. Iran is mentioned as a troublemaker for Israel in the last days. That appears to be happening now. The world's eyes are being drawn there.

Also, I don't knoiw if anyone knows who Zola Levitt is, but he spoke at my church and he made a comment on President Bush. He said President Bush has a Presbyterian and Methodist background. Both of these teach that the church(believers) has replaced Israel in God's plan. So he grew up being taught that. So that influences what He does regarding the palestinain issue.

But this is not true. God has not replaced Israel with anyone and He still has a plan for that nation, now and in eternity.

[edit on 12-1-2006 by dbrandt]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join