It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I thought it would be cool to get a pair of lovebirds.

Does anyone know if they are easy to take care of? Yes, I know. I could do a search & get some facts.

I would like to hear some personal experiences if anyone has any.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
oooo, watch out, they can get pretty loud. Just hang out with them and handle them often, at least enough for them to like you. I have 2 cockatiels, they can get loud. But they are really simple to take care of. Just dont be afraid of getting bitten, it will happen, and you probably wont lose a finger.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Questor, lovebirds are absolutely beautiful! Birds are not difficult to care for, as they can eat a lot of the same foods that we eat and of course they'll eat seeds. I have a wonderful green quaker parrot. His name is "Puff" and he's my little baby! Yes, birds can be loud and are quite messy. If you don't mind a little noise and a bit of cleaning, then they'd make great pets for you. I have had Puff for over 4 years. He even has his own bedroom! I'm an animal lover to the fullest!

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   
My fiance' used to have some... She said that they were generally pretty easy to care for (relative to most birds), but yes, can get loud at times....

I just have a hard time with caging up something used to the freedom of flight....not something I could do, which is why we don't have birds, even though she wants some...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
we had a parakeet once, it was way too loud. It was bitter sweet when it got out of its cage and then flew away. No matter how much my kids want a bird I will never, ever get one again.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Love birds a pretty.....but they are also a pain in the butt. They are very loud and very smart. Had to tie the doors shut on the cage mine was in. He kept figuring out how to open the doors. And they are not nearly as friendly as parakeets or cockitiels. Which are great birds to have.

[Edited on 9/29/2003 by nyeff]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I deplore all keeping of birds in cages. It's awful. I was in the south of france, there was a parrot with no feathers in a cage. It was bleeding from pecking itself through madness. I spoke the the shop owner about it and he threatened me physically. Nice. I then shamed the group of tourists to look at the bird and they stopped buying postcards.

Shame on all people who kleep birds in cages. Boo.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
I deplore all keeping of birds in cages. It's awful. I was in the south of france, there was a parrot with no feathers in a cage. It was bleeding from pecking itself through madness. I spoke the the shop owner about it and he threatened me physically. Nice. I then shamed the group of tourists to look at the bird and they stopped buying postcards.

Shame on all people who kleep birds in cages. Boo.

I feel that way about wild birds. They should never caged. But the birds bought in a pet shop or from a breeder have never lived in the wild. Most would die in a few days if let go.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yup, it's sad but true.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks all. I guess the operative word is "noise".

I thought all they did was snuggle up against each other in silence most of the time like "lovebirds". Hehe.

At least that's what I saw in one store where there were all kinds other noise. And these cuties were just quietly snuggling up to each other.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
LOL......
I had a love bird a few years ago. It learned to screech just like the blue jays that came around in the mornings. As long as there was a light on in the house,he would scream like a blue jay all day long.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
[

[Edited on 10/2/2003 by Venus]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:44 PM
link   
We had a budgie for about 12 years. He spent most of his time sitting free on top of his cage.

Once he excaped for 3 days and the neighbours found him tapping on their window wanting to come in. After that he never wanted to roam. He was such a great bird, he tried to help himself to your dinner, and would have baths in the sink. He was certianly free in our house and lived a good long life.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   
That's a beautiful story, Netchicken.

Your bird sounds much like Puff, my quaker parrot. I weaned him myself and I've had him for four years. He loves taking baths and looks absolutely adorable when doing so! He eats dinner with us and he's never caged. In fact, his wings have never been clipped so his flight is excellent! He has a pretty good vocabulary and understands many words that I say. I think that he's happy here...I guess that's what's really important. There will always be caged animals and there will always be animals that are neglected and abused.

top topics

join