It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I really need help on this

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I need help, I have had like 85 thousand hits in the last four months but no one is joining my site, I don't know why lack of content or what but could you guys look and post suggestions here please? I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks,
Josh

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Josh, you have such a narrow topic that you may need to kick start it yourself by either signing up some people who are friends or creating a few dummy members.

You may find that you idea really doesn't have a niche, with other places picking up the ideas better. Or people are just afraid to share them in a public forum as they could be hijacked...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The websites just a little too white, try some contrasts.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Just a suggestion........... put a big friendly blurb on the main page stating what you're about. I know you've got it in point form already , but make it more "user friendly" and welcoming, almost chatty??? if that's the word I'm looking for.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeh have a bold intro inviting people to join your community and you gotta get a load of mates on it to kickstart conversation.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 02:31 AM
link   
www.losttware.com...

P.S.

I REALLY need someone to help me convert my shtml to PHP

It runs along with ssi's, 4 small cgi's into the page that will need written into the php. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
Josh

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Yeh,The second one is better.

I'd still make the text reading "Invention Development site" larger and I'd increase the size of text reading "Make money blah blah" so it's right across the width.Darken the colours slightly more too.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Josh
I just joined your website it l;ooks cool dude.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Sorry I take that back about darkening further.Where there is colour it is fine

Stats aren't impressive but very prominent so I'd move them and the links over to the right hand side with the stats at the bottom.

The links aren't filling the width allowed for them and could do with being bolder.

Comments about getting friends on are spot on but perhaps put up some analysis of invention that you admire and their development.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Comments about getting friends on are spot on but perhaps put up some analysis of invention that you admire and their development.

Alrighty changed all that around, I would post other comments, but nothing is happening, that is a problem I have, no one is using my site

Still though, I need a PHP programmer to help me change this shtml into a php file.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Your suggestions are helping, I think I just about have myself a new template, now if only I knew PHP

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I know several folks who have been cheated by corporations who claim to want to help you develop inventions, then cheat you out of your idea. Perhaps you are a victim of the stigma attached to those type of companies.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I have to agree with groingrinders post on that being a possible stigma against your site.

have a think about how you could maybe gain people's trust with the message you want to get across and the work you want to do.

If people trust you you will probably get more joining up.

Patience is a virtue they say.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I will think of some ways of protecting my clients.
I just don't have any more time this week to code.

Never the less I still do need a person who knows PHP to help me. Anyone out there reading this that knows php, please help.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   
My opinions...or 2 cents..

First,..define 'hits'....if you are using a page counter or a stats generator. If you are using a stats generator then each image, on each page, and each page is a different hit,..you may be getting 10-20 hits per pageview. Count only unique IP hits and pages viewed per unique, using a stat gen.

Second,...I am in the electronics industry, and am currently building a community site in a different niche. It is a dry concept to most, unless you are into it, which I am. Do not expect high volume, as many in this area are look and see type people. Looking for data sheets,...looking for ways to do something on their own.

Also consider most recent ideas are stolen and marketed before reasonable action can be take. Makes people kindy shy. The tv was invented by a farm kid, but rca laid claim to it for years.

Lastly, either you have a slow server, or the content is way too dense. Just took awhile to load up.

-----------------------------

I have been trying to gain the attention of the sales side geeks, and the like. I am aiming for quick in quick out mentality. Trying to limit ssi, images, etc. Info is what they seek, info is what I aim to give, and hopefully, hopefully, some business may occur.

Looks great, the whites and greys are a bit bright with light text, but the colorization motiff is typically expected in that target audience, with the bright colors reserved for the oem's etc. You dont want the ebay look, or looney toons look, as it will give the wrong impression, which is important.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The server isn't slow, and actuall it is all of the many ssi's making the shtml page look dynamic, that slow it down, I know it's slow but it won't be slow after I get it to PHP.

Good point though, and that is 85 000 hits as in individual IP's

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I taught myself php tongiht, it wasn't even that hard, looky www.losttware.com... < that is PHP!!!

well now I have to apply that template to the whole site, and finish the front page, but how does that look?

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 03:52 AM
link   
ok I think that is looking way better

I really REALLY like what you've done with the faq's and the little " make money" thing..... guaranteed to spike the interest.

just out of curiosity, how are the membership stats now?

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Before I apply this template throughout the site, any more suggestions? I have it here now, as PHP for the main page, www.losttware.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
you dont use tracking cookies do you???

if you dont , maybe stick up a notice saying you dont.

spyware sucks.

just and idea

new topics

top topics

join