It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriotism Test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Students in Washington State are being given a "Patriotism Test" that questions their opinions about government and loyalty to the state...

Interesting.

We are by no means against patriotism when it means love of country. Unfortunately however, the new brand of so-called patriotism translates as worship of government, and that definition is something that the founding fathers never intended.

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I agree with the little girls answers alot more than the "right" ones

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If they are asking for opinions, why is there right and wrong answers?

And is this test giving in all of Washington state or just in a single school, written off curriculum by one teacher?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Interesting, what are they doing with the results? The right answer for number 7 kind of surprised me. Same with questions number 1 and 2! Political leaders do whats best for their country? Bull hockey! Maybe a small majority. Its never okay to kill someone? Self defense! This test is a crock.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This story is objectively a non-story.
As evident, here:
patriotism test + children in Washington State
patriotism test + students in Washington State

This is but just another one of those prisonplanet made up stories with made up sources, if one wants to call them using sources.

seekerof

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I'm agreeing with Seekerof, and I have'nt even checked his links.

I live in the state of Washington, and if this was true, than I would know about it.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
While this as a story is dubious, the fact remains that our public system of education was designed in a manner that would encourage this sort of ideological grooming in students.

The pledge of allegiance is burned into children before they're even old enough to understand what it means, while they're taught to walk in single file and take their flouride packets like good children should.

So, bunk or not, the story does raise a good point about just what sort of little patriots our schools churn out. Loyal, perhaps, but good leaders and innovators? I say we import from Switzerland, or just wait for the ruling families of Imperial Americana to churn out more Yale Jet Pilots.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If it raises a so-called good point, then why make a story up to make that point?

seekerof

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
This story is objectively a non-story.

This is but just another one of those prisonplanet made up stories with made up sources, if one wants to call them using sources.

I'm sorry. Can you be more specific?

The story says nothing about the Washington School Board having approved this test or that it's given to all students in Washington. That may be an assumption on your part.

Originally posted by iori_komei
I'm agreeing with Seekerof, and I have'nt even checked his links.

An educated decision, then, eh?

No offense, iori_komei, but I doubt you know about everything that goes on in the state of Washington. But I could be wrong...

In fact the story states:

This may be an isolated case...

ConspirayNut23 asks valid questions, to which I don't have the answers and they're not in the story.

Also I would caution against further assumptions that the answers to the right of the questions are the 'right' answers. I don't see that in the story, either. Someone else could have put their answers there. Who knows?

And I'd just like to point out that the absense of a story on in the Mainstream News is NOT proof that it doesn't exist. There may very well be a story here and an important one at that. This paper came from somewhere.

Granted, this "Christine" person could have made it up and sent it to Alex Jones, but it's also possible that she is a concerned parent who couldn't get her story heard elsewhere.

I'm keeping an open mind, but I don't insist anyone else do that.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
/blows kisses to alex jones

glad they arent handing out patriot tests here. I'd probably not give the right answers.

oh wait I'm free to think they way I want(FOR NOW) therefor all answers are right gahahaha.

[edit on 1-1-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Fiction often serves to examine the issues of our world, in this case more specifically it would probably be satire... is what I'd say with a slight grin.

To answer your question more specifically, seeker, I'd say that the "editors" of prisonplanet aren't real journalists. Pulp sites like prisonplanet are probably more suited to entertainment than information. Regardless of the veracity of what they write, the subject matter resonates with the ideas of it's reader base, and they have nice shiny font on their logos.

While such methods are bound to espouse ignorance in those who don't know better, and the intentions of the authors may be no better than to churn out pulp for recognition by a drooling loyal readership of the paranoid, the ideas that lurk buried underneath all that garbage still need to be dealt with. Just because there is no authorative material doesn't mean the idea itself doesn't resonate with the facts that we ourselves are aware of.

One more thing remains: I agree that this is probably bunk just by looking at the source of the story, but there is actually no proof that the story isn't true. Can you prove it so that there is no doubt in my mind?

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is part of a literature study guide for Julius Caesar, a play by Shakespeare. Hence why it was handed out by an ENGLISH TEACHER. It's nothing new, nor is it something implimented solely by the Washington State School system.

www.bard.org...

members.accessus.net...

www.tarleton.edu...

www.sd84.k12.id.us...

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well, I wanna take it...

1. disagree
2. disagree
3. ...disagree due to "whatever means necessary"
4. Agree, with one exception
5. Agree, but think they should still be held accountable for said action.
6. Agree
7. Disagree
8. Disagree
9. Disagree, I've known cowards who actually enjoy their hovel.
10. Disagree, the good is typically spun to be evil.

However, as Jadette pointed out, those are my opinions, not statements based on a work written by Shakespeare. Were my answers based on Julius Caesar, I would have failed royally...Just like her

Long story short, and I know this may be hard to believe (
) but I think Alex Jones may be trying to manipulate information...

That, and some mother thought her daughter justified in not answering the questions based on the matierial presented in class but instead on her own personal beliefs.

I just started college (a little late
) and if I were to respond by my personal beliefs instead of responding by what the author says in 9 out of ten assignments, I'd fail every class. Actually wrote a paper talking about the liberal indoctrination of college students and used the class I wrote the paper for as the example
Every reading assignment is written by a hardcore liberal, and the "response" questions all ask you to explain why this person is correct in their assessment. Ironically, there are several conservative articles/editorials/short stories in our book, but we don't read/respond to those, only those telling me I need to apologize for slavery because my skintone's too light, despite my family having been enslaved back in the day.

So, in short, I suspect this girl who took the test ignored what was required of her, and mom wasn't happy with a bad grade. Is it right? No, I don't think a quiz/test set up like this, where opinion-style questions are posed but specific answers are expected are right, but I think mom is really reaching here.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

No offense, iori_komei, but I doubt you know about everything that goes on in the state of Washington. But I could be wrong...

Yeah, you'd be right with that, but if it had to do with school, and was in this subject category, than I'd definately have heard something, even if it had been East of the mountains.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
This is part of a literature study guide for Julius Caesar, a play by Shakespeare. Hence why it was handed out by an ENGLISH TEACHER. It's nothing new, nor is it something implimented solely by the Washington State School system.

Excellent research Jadette!

Maybe someone can forward the links to Alex Jones. If he has any journalistic integrity, he will make the proper corrections…..hmm.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
A prime example why things always need to be taken in context, and the WHOLE truth needs to be told.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
Maybe someone can forward the links to Alex Jones. If he has any journalistic integrity, he will make the proper corrections…..hmm.

Dang it, you made my beer come out of my nose with that comment! Next time, give me some warning so I can fully swallow before reading a comment like that

By the way, though I got an A on that paper, the teacher did write at the top of the paper, "Why is this a bad thing?" That's at a "conservative" Christian school, too

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I just have great difficulty with the concept that they would give out a patriotism exam in the public schools in the state of Washington or for that matter ..in the state of California. Perhapsed other states but not these two. Any such exams would be pure politics..not for any other reasons.
Well..on second thought...much of public education today has become pure politics. Im not sure that many in the public understand this.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I say go watch the movie Syriana folks, it will change your mind. I mean in a good way. It is non-fiction. Look at question 5!!!!! That sooo reminds me of the movie. Like hella lot, and the corrrupt question. She disagreed on the corrupt. I am sorry to say but that girl is reallly dumb. to me. I mean most of them I disagree with her but some are right.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Theorist..do you define your life and what you know by movies or television programs?? What I am asking is do you have any real life experiences or thoughts of your own?? Or in otherwords are your views and experiences the default settings of movies and television??
You are not alone in this Theorist. I see alot of posters here doing the same thing. I just dont think alot of them realize how vicarious this is.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join