It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Hole (NC secret installation)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Interesting place.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Im sure its part of the under ground bases At&t supply Network Disaster Recovery for Contiunty of Government for. Heres some pictures of them in action.
www.corp.att.com...

Do you think At&t would put on hazmat suits just to get your phone working again so you can call mom?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
JBA, lol
u beat me to it
I was also taking screens
from google to post.
star for beatin me to it

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ive seen those pictures before. Part of me wonders if those are not of another of many at&t bunkers passed off as the big hole. Ive been out there a few times in the past few years and at no point has the facility ever been abandoned.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ben94gt

That is what I was thinking. I have been out there twice and it was anything but deserted.

The first time I pulled on to the road there was a group of people standing on the porch of the home to the left. A big rig was parked on the right hand side with the motor running. In the field there were two tractors tilling and some farm hand looking guys milling around. When I got to the metal barricade there were two black hummers (H1) parked on the opposite side. They were slightly up the road and parked facing away from me.

By the time I turned around and got back to the start of the road everything was deserted. The big rig was shut off and the driver's door was open. One of the tractors was still puffing exhaust in to the air. All the people were gone though.

It was definitely spooky. I find it hard to believe it is just an abandoned AT&T switching station. Of course, the last time I was out there was 2000 or there abouts.

edit on 14-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
AT&T refers to these sites as "project offices" although they won't say exactly what sort of projects they work on there. But it is all communication related.

In total, there are 5 project offices, all designed pretty much the same. Only one of which is actually abandoned.

The other sites can be found via google earth at:

37.561650, -78.762881 - Buckingham (This is the abandoned one)

38.125669 -78.286215 - Peters Mountain

39.266990, -77.706378 - Short Hill

39.712420 -77.972655 - Hearthstone Mountain

These coordinates are in decimal degrees, to avoid any confusion.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I know this is an old thread, but its worthy of a bump. I rode out to the entrance the other week, and the front gate has been upgraded, it now hosts a very tall black fence behind the pop up road barrier, the black fence seemed to stretch quite a ways. Also, if you bring up the facility side by side in google and bing maps, you can tell there has been recent digging activity at the site, google appears to be a little bit older, but there has been trench digging with some type of poles installed, then the bing map shows an almost hegaxonal area of digging around where the bunker is in the ground, not sure what that is about. I cant tell either, but it almost looks like there is a double fence around the perimiter as well. I think something rather large is going on at the site now.

for those not familiar with where it is- follow this link maps.google.com...,+nc&hl=en&sll=35.782471,-79.073887&sspn=0.001099,0.001961&t=h&hnear=Big+Hole+Rd,+Pittsboro,+Cha tham,+North+Carolina+27312&z=15

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben94gt
I know this is an old thread, but its worthy of a bump. I rode out to the entrance the other week, and the front gate has been upgraded, it now hosts a very tall black fence behind the pop up road barrier, the black fence seemed to stretch quite a ways. Also, if you bring up the facility side by side in google and bing maps, you can tell there has been recent digging activity at the site, google appears to be a little bit older, but there has been trench digging with some type of poles installed, then the bing map shows an almost hegaxonal area of digging around where the bunker is in the ground, not sure what that is about. I cant tell either, but it almost looks like there is a double fence around the perimiter as well. I think something rather large is going on at the site now.

Tropospheric Scatter Communications Networks
"Tropospheric scatter (known as "troposcatter" among practitioners) is a method of transmitting and receiving microwave radio signals over considerable distances – often up to 300 km.... Tropospheric scatter is a fairly secure method of propagation as dish alignment is critical, making it extremely difficult to intercept the signals, especially if transmitted across open water, making them highly attractive to military users."

Tropospheric Scatter Communications Networks
"The Tropospheric scatter phenomenon has been used to build both civilian and military communication links in a number of parts of the world, including:-
AT&T Corporation
Chatham, NC - Buckingham, VA - Charlottesville 2, VA - Leesburg 5, VA - Hagerstown 2, MD"

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-1-2013 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yes, I know all about the troposcatter purpose it once held, what Im saying is it is being used for something completely different now, and there has been a LOT of new activity at the site.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ben94gt

Hi there,

I remember this thread , glad you have given us an update,

can you poss elaborate ??

what did you see ??

any new signs or visible names ?

any chance of some pics ??

Thanks

Snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The ATT Corp has lots of militaries it seems. It made me an impression, now I didn't know they supply the military as well with network and all sorts of telecom.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ok...so it's 2019...is there any new info on this post??

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Hacktheplanet

I came across this subject today, I was able to find these fairly recent (2018) drone pics of the place: www.flickr.com...

It's pretty interesting. I'm going to dig around and see what others may be out there.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: sonoranman

Your link is 404

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

There is a rogue period at the end of the link that needs removing.

www.flickr.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MarcusCooper

Thanks, Marcus

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join