It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS.talk: A Comedy of (PC?) errors.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

PODcast: A Comedy of (PC?) errors.....
HMITD waxs on about comedy and offensiveness, Dave Chapelle and the only movie which ever caused him to switch of the VCR in disgust.....can you guess?

length: 07:18
file: btstpod_1133.mp3
size: 3423k
feed: btst

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My favorite comedian - Eddie Izzard, hands down, no contest.

Great insight into historical and political events as well as differences in cultures.

I recently caught a hispanic comedian who holds his own as second to Eddie. Great political commentary. But I'm ashamed to say I can't remember his name. I'll look a little bit more because he's darned sure worth a listen.

Now, for raw, crude but great politically incorrect HONESTY - Carlos Mencia.

I'll include a link - but warn for the sake of our younger members that explicit language is there.

carlosmencia.com...

[edit on 12-29-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

PODcast: A Comedy of (PC?) errors..... (reply 1)
Comedians and Movies

length: 05:21
file: btstpod_1134.mp3
size: 2512k
feed:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I agree that Bill Hicks is a genius, and it's nice to see him so appreciated worldwide now. I grew up in the Deep South like Hicks and I've always felt such a connection to his humor, and I'm glad to see it translates beyond geography.

I think Jon Stewart is hands down the most influential comedian right now, but he does tend to go easy on the guests and pull a few punches here and there. If Bill Hicks hosted the Daily Show it wouldn't be on the air more than a week so maybe Jon's genuis is in knowing how far he can go within the framework of the show he's been given.

What I don't see nowadays is a Lenny Bruce or a Bill Hicks. I see comedians competing on rigged reality shows rather than railing against the government or the war. Oddly enough the best anti-war statement I've seen on TV lately was the Doctor Who Christmas Special where the UK Prime Minister told the US President "You're not my boss and you're not turning this into a war!"

I do think there is a huge hole out there ready to be filled by a comedian like Chappelle. A comedian that has Chapelle's no-holds-barred attitude toward what's "appropriate" but rather than focusing it on just race relations broadens it to the state of the world.

One of my favorite Bill Hicks bits is about the first Gulf War. He starts out by saying he's "for the war, but agains the troops"... which is hilarious as a flip on what every liberal was saying about that war, and this one. He then goes on to say the reason he's against the troops is they're having so much fun over there and he acts out an exchange between two soldiers:

"What's G-13 do?"

"I dunno, but it says here it destroys everything except the fillings in their teeth. Helps pay for the war effort."

"Hell, bring that one up!"

VOOOOSH! KABOOOOM!

(pause)

"Cool. What's G-14 do?"

I just don't hear that kind of funny today.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Update...LOL. It WAS Carlos Mencia that I was referring to. The reason I didn't recognize him off his own site is that the first time we caught him on Comedy Central he was a lot less explicit (of course).

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   

PODcast: A Comedy of (PC?) errors..... (reply 2)
HMITD replies and expands on the topic at hand...why are we so afraid to offend people?

length: 07:21
file: btstpod_1135.mp3
size: 3447k
feed:

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
And let us not forget the great Sam Kinnison. One of my favorite comedians of all time.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

PODcast: A Comedy of (PC?) errors..... (reply 3)
Hey Willy

length: 01:58
file: btstpod_1182.mp3
size: 345k
feed:

top topics

join