It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are Only 3 Dimensions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Time is only "rational" to the most stable mind in the world. If time is a dimension, would not mass, temperature, electricity, luminosity, quantity, direction, position... be dimensions also? I believe in the timeless eternal view.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
You have a point there, however I do believe that other dimensions are out there, but not tapped in by our brains. 90% of our minds are connected to that of the eternal source...everything and anything is possible. If you have a thought...then it exists somewhere someplace.

All the best
Merger

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Well, there's three spatial dimensions in our world, anyway. Time can be considered the fourth, though of course it's different to a fourth spatial dimension.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
There are two dimensions only:

1) the spatial dimension; it has 3 components: the X, Y and Z coordinates.

2) the time dimension; until know, it has one component.

Our universe is defined over these two dimensions.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Four spacial dimensions:

1. Forward and back
2. Left and right
3. Up and down
4. Forward and back in time

It could also be the following dimensions exist:

5. Left and right in time
6. Up and down in time

And according to String Theory, there may be another 5 spatial dimensions.

Now, just because there are these spacial dimensions does not mean they are PHYSICAL dimensions. They are likely something so wildly different that we have no hope of ever understanding what they are or how they work.

As for why time is a spatial dimension, it is the 1st dimension of time that we exist on... a straight line back and forth. It could be (as I said with left and right in time, and up and down in time) that even this is inaccurate, and time could be three dimensions in its own right, but that is only my theory. We are stuck on a 1-way course along this 1st dimension of time, and it would be exceedingly difficult to go back in time (although theoretically possible with the help of other things that "break physics" such as black holes).

There may be other physical dimensions, and other spatial dimensions that we cannot fathom, or of which we have no place in, and so their existance may remain forever elusive to us.

Take the example of the X-ray. We did not know such things existed until they were discovered to be a part of radioactivity. Does that mean X-rays did not exist before we found them? Of course not. The X-rays would affect things in our world, but we were oblivious to them - they existed.

So, right now, we are pretty much oblivious to time as a spatial dimension, and we are even more oblivious of the other dimensions - but that does not mean that they aren't there. Just because we cannot see, smell, feel, experience, or imagine it does not mean it is not there.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
.... a waste of server space and bandwidth.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hmmm, I just thought up an interesting question.

Is the number of fractal dimensions infinite?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Fractal Dimensions? What are those?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Repeat after me:

Google is my friend

Google helps me look up terms that I am unfamiliar with.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Hmmm, I just thought up an interesting question.

Is the number of fractal dimensions infinite?

Better yet, if time is 'rational', is it a function or an equation? I think it would have to be function.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
You feel time in the way your brain process the inforation... sometimes the time seem to slow down: for instance when you fall... or better something is going into your eyes, it seems that this moment becomes eternal.
Anyway, the universe is a hologram, a hologram is an illusion, an illusion isn't real.... so the universe isn't real, so there are no dimension

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I THINK THE PROBELM IS, IF THERE IS A 4th DIMENSION OUR 3RD DIMENSIONAL MINDS AREN'T SOPHISTICATED ENOUGH TO PERCEIVE IT, AT LEAST NOT RATIONALLY, TRY YOUR IMAGINATION.
EINSTEIN SAID IF WE COULD USE 100% OF OUR BRAINS WE'D BE PURE ENERGY, THIS TO ME IS THE 4TH DIMENSION. ACTUALLY THE 4th DIMENSION ISN'T TIME EITHER, ITS JUST THE OPPOSITE, IT'S THE ABSENCE OF TIME, BECAUSE IF WE'RE PURE ENERGY WE SURE DON'T NEED A TIMELINE. OR MAYBE I'M WRONG

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Should, would you, could you, please retype your post so it's not all-caps? Thank you.

As for our observations of time - well, time is relative. To a 5 year old, one year is a fifth of his life! However, to someone who's 57, one more year is really an insignificant little thing. However, time is going out the same speed for both - it's just that their perceptions and circumstances give more weight and impact to the events that transpire in that time period.

Now, the 4th dimension is spatial - like all the others. It has a length to it. However, it is not physical. We can percieve the 4th dimension through memory - however, we cannot interact with the 4th dimension. Instead, we are caught in its ongoing flow. We will master and feel time to a much greater extent when we can control it - but for now it's out of our reach.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
According to string theory many more dimensions exist. These dimensions are so small that we cannot observe them on our own.

It's like looking at a telephone line from far away. from far away, it looks like it has one dimension, length. Get much closer, and you'll notice length and hight. get closer still, and you'll notice it's depth. If we could continue on to the sub-microscopic, every point in the universe has many more dimensions curling in on themselves, forming an 11-26 dimensional plane.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggestness
I THINK THE PROBELM IS, IF THERE IS A 4th DIMENSION OUR 3RD DIMENSIONAL MINDS AREN'T SOPHISTICATED ENOUGH TO PERCEIVE IT, AT LEAST NOT RATIONALLY, TRY YOUR IMAGINATION.
EINSTEIN SAID IF WE COULD USE 100% OF OUR BRAINS WE'D BE PURE ENERGY, THIS TO ME IS THE 4TH DIMENSION. ACTUALLY THE 4th DIMENSION ISN'T TIME EITHER, ITS JUST THE OPPOSITE, IT'S THE ABSENCE OF TIME, BECAUSE IF WE'RE PURE ENERGY WE SURE DON'T NEED A TIMELINE. OR MAYBE I'M WRONG

Nice, our opinions are expressed in different ways, but they converge on the same conclusion

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Make sure you are all defining "dimensions" in the same way.

Also, consider this simple notion, it may eluded to further thought analysis:

We live in 3-D world, if we lived in a 2-D world- it would be like living on a piece of paper.

Now ask yourself what would a 4-D world/dimesion be like (if it does exist). This answer was sort of present in.. and I hate to say.. The Matrix.

Just because we are "built" and "bound" to a 3-D world/dimension doesnt mean a 4th, or 5th, 6th, etc.... doesnt exist.

You get the idea. BTW- at what dimension is "the ether" bound to??

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The ether does not really exist. It's existance was believed to be true in order for light, as a wave, to move through a seeming vacuum (something impossible for a simple wave to do - as it needs a medium, but ligt doesn't).

However, with the photon and the wave-particle theory of light, the ether was no longer needed, as its existance has been proven not to exist.

So, the ether is not tied to any spatial dimension because it does not exist.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39
Make sure you are all defining "dimensions" in the same way.

Also, consider this simple notion, it may eluded to further thought analysis:

We live in 3-D world, if we lived in a 2-D world- it would be like living on a piece of paper.

Now ask yourself what would a 4-D world/dimesion be like (if it does exist). This answer was sort of present in.. and I hate to say.. The Matrix.

Just because we are "built" and "bound" to a 3-D world/dimension doesnt mean a 4th, or 5th, 6th, etc.... doesnt exist.

You get the idea. BTW- at what dimension is "the ether" bound to??

Peace

We're bound to all dimensions, but we can't percieve them in traditional ways because they are too small, and exist at every point of the universe. Of course we have to perceive either them, or their effects, in some way. We just can't identify them the way we do with the familiar ones.

For example, we percieve one of the extra dimensions by being able to percieve matter and energy in the first place. If the strings that made up matter didn't connect to the membrane that only exists on the 11th dimension, we wouldn't be able to interact with that matter.

So us being here and doing things shows that we are interacting and bound with all dimensions. It's just a matter of identifying them all.

[edit on 10-1-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Time travel is not possible, and never will be possible. However, the closest thing we will ever get to time travel is teleportation. And this technology will probably arise for military purposes in about 20 years. How do I know this, you might ask?

Well if you think about it, the human mind is set on developing new technology, so the faster we design technology, the faster technology helps design us. Its kind of hard to understand, but if you do, then good job.

This kind of takes me back to "The Philadelphia Experiment", which happend back in the 40's I believe. They said something about time travel, but its not possible.

The person who posted this was right, time travel is not a 4th dimension. There is nothing for a median to travel though. No light, electricity, solids, liquids, and gasses.

Perhaps maybe the CLOSEST thing in time travel is a Black Hole. Because of the rapid spinning movement of light travelling through another dimension. It is the only power that is able to bend light, therefore, modifying a dimension.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Well if you think about it, the human mind is set on developing new technology, so the faster we design technology, the faster technology helps design us. Its kind of hard to understand, but if you do, then good job.

Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns I believe. Right?

<<   2 >>

join