It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone identify this window I found in the mountains?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'm guessing this came out of some logging equipment, but I'm not really sure. I thought it was kind of interesting, It had some kind of copper colored UV protection & you can see what appears to be antifog strips. and some electrical busses. The glass was at least .25 inch thick.

[edit on 26-12-2005 by outsider]

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
not the best of pictures but it looks a lot like an airplane window- not a little airplane- like a passenger jet.

It looks as if there are screw holes around the edge about an inch apart. indicative of common aircraft windows.

also it looks like window is kind of thick and heavy- also common ac window

there in many cases will be at least two sets of copper wires leading to little discs imbedded in the glass these are thermocouples

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's a second pic if that helps.

BTW - I'm not sure how long it's been there , but it appears to have been fired at by some local hunter - that's why I figured it was a damaged logging equipment window that they discarded. If it is an aircraft window it may have been dislodged from the tree canopy by a recent snow - that has since melted.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Here's a second pic if that helps.

BTW - I'm not sure how long it's been there , but it appears to have been fired at by some local hunter - that's why I figured it was a damaged logging equipment window that they discarded. If it is an aircraft window it may have been dislodged from the tree canopy by a recent snow - that has since melted.

Where did you find it? I had heard that some people of interest were trying to see if aircraft windows could be shot out via high caliber rifles and the AC brought down thereby. Might be worth reporting. Not sure if it would succeed though in any case unless you shot the left and right seater on take off.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It was in the North Cascades area. I was the first one to access the road after the snowfalls as I had to remove several trees lying across the road. That was at least a week prior though. Obviously someone else saw it before me and took some shots at it, so it could have been planted there. I'll talk to an NAS guy today & decide whether or not it's worth retrieving.

[edit on 27-12-2005 by outsider]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Looks like it might be part of the rear canopy of an EA-6B. The copper tint is sheilding to protect the crew when the aircraft is jamming.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thanks for your input everyone.

I had a pilot look at it & he doesn't know what it came from except it appears to be from an aircraft so it is assumed wreckage - unless it was planted there. He confirmed the gold/copper colored film is for crew protection. Here's some of the numbers. 36659 943536-110 / 6-03-99. The area will soon be snowed in again if it is not already, so I doubt I will be making any more treks into that area unless convinced otherwise.

[edit on 29-12-2005 by outsider]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Thanks for your input everyone.

I had a pilot look at it & he doesn't know what it came from except it appears to be from an aircraft so it is assumed wreckage - unless it was planted there. He confirmed the gold/copper colored film is for crew protection. Here's some of the numbers. 36659 943536-110 / 6-03-99. The area will soon be snowed in again if it is not already, so I doubt I will be making any more treks into that area unless convinced otherwise.

[edit on 29-12-2005 by outsider]

The number that you list is in the corect format to be either a manufacturer's contract number or a National Stock Number (NSN). I tried Googleing it and found too many references to even try to look at them all. What you found either fell off of, or was ejected by a military aircraft. I'd look into any crashes of military planes in that area within the last 10 years. It is possible that someone got ahold of a scrap or surplus window and decided to see what a rifle would do to it. I'd print up a couple copies of those pictures alond with a map showing the exact location where you found it and take them to your local Air Force and Navy office. This might be the recruiting office. Just in case this was from an ejection they might want to recover the window and see if there are any more parts in the area.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Back in the late 80s or early 90s we lost more than one A-10 to AK-47s in Columbia (i think). a-10s on bombing runs flip nearly on their back to aquire the targets and the windows are not bullet proof by any means. The round is now bouncing around in the "tub" turning the pilot to swiss cheese.

I used to have a complete window set (7 pieces) to the C-141B and they were VERY heavy and VERY thick glass- unlike any of the fighters out there. I made some really sweet living room furniture out of them and ended up selling it all for a pretty penny- sadly i never thought to shoot one. I have seen several that took bird impacts at high speed and they were only cracked on the outermost layer. I have in the past also taken a ball peen hammer to one and it really did not do as much damage as you would think. - it actually just grazed the glass enough to poor some dye in for a neat effect.

Do we have any members around the Pheonix area? Maybe they could stop and one of the thousands of aircraft salvage yards and pick up some windows to try out.

I can tell you fighter glass is very thin because the ejection seats must punch through in the event of ejection and they are seldom presurized.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Take it

Trust me, Ebay goes wild over this sort of stuff. Or maybe even a supplus store might be interested.

top topics

join