It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PHANTOM HITCHHIKERS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 05:34 AM
link   
PHANTOM HITCHHIKERS

One of the most persistent and entertaining types of ghost stories is that of the phantom or vanishing hitchhiker. It's also one of the most chilling because, if true, they bring ghosts in very close contact with mortals. More disconcerting still, the stories depict the spectres as looking, acting and sounding like living people ? even physically interacting with the unsuspecting drivers who pick them up.
The basic story usually goes some thing like this: a weary driver traveling at night picks up a strange hitchhiker, drops him or her off at some destination, then somehow later finds out that the hitchhiker had in fact died months or years earlier ? often on that very same date. Like most ?true? ghost stories, tales of phantom hitchhikers are impossible to verify, and are most often relegated to the category of urban legand or folklor But there are many such stories, and it?s up to you whether or not you believe any of them. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of event, where you believe you seen and talked to a ghost thinking it was real

paranormal.about.com...

this is something i find amazing,
has anyone ever experienced this, I find it interesting as many people tend to see this at once,

[edit on 19-9-2006 by asala]

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
yeah theres a couple of stories i know. one is of a girl who gets in say a taxi then dissapears leaving behind a wet seat as she had died drowing. the other is of a woman just standing in the motorway and getting run over but when the people get out theres no one there.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
There is a similar story to these at a nearby location to me Bluebell Hill. A woman runs out infront of the car and when the driver stops there is no one to be found even when he felt the bump as he drove over her. This was supposedly the ghost of a girl killed on the motorway the night before her wedding. A number of drivers have come forward to recount their experience and I know a few people that refuse to drive that stretch of road of a night.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There's a similar story of Pele, the goddess of the volcano in hawai'i, she can be seen as a very beautiful lady or a old lady hitchhiking. There have been numerous stories about this in hawai'i.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
That actually happened to a friend of mine several years ago, or so he claims. He said he picked up this girl who wanted a ride to the bus station in town. As he is driving with her they get to talking, but the girl wont say anything, just gives little yes and no answers, and giggles after each one. This annoyed my friend alot, and he says the rest of the ride seemed a little foggy to him, and that he doesnt know for certain at which point she disappeared but that when he got to the bus station she was gone. Almost gave him a heart attack. At the time, and still a little now, I thought he must be pulling my leg except for the fact that he was so dead earnest about the incident when he related it to me.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have heard about these type of ghost's, I did hear of one story that was concerning a woman who was renown for not telling lies, how was helped by a "phantom hitch hiker" and she owes her life to it. I belive that they are real and only seem to help people, in my book that can only be a good thing!

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   
this is one about a smoking ghost

The Smoking Ghost
On a night in February, 1951, a British officer stops for a fellow soldier hitchhiking on the road. The stranger is dressed in a Royal Air Force uniform, and after he gets into the car with the officer, asks if he can bum a cigarette. The officer gives him one of his Camels and a lighter with which to light it. With his peripheral vision, the officer sees the flash of the lighter, but then turning his head is astonished to see that his passenger has vanished into thin air. Only the cigarette lighter remains on the seat.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I have seen 'things' on the side of the road that weren't there when I looked in the rearview mirror, but have never picked up one before.

However...up north, at the tip of NZs North Island is a place called Cape Reinga. Cape Reinga is considered, by my people (the NZ Maori) to be a 'launching point' for our spirits. When we die we go there and dive off into the sea to swim underwater to our original homeland of Hawaiiki (not Hawaii). There are numerous stories of people driving along to Cape Reinga and seeing people walking along the road side, even whole groups of people just walking along...who are no longer there when people look again.

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The actor Telly Savalis ( sp?) actually had one of these experiences. He ended up tracking down the wife of the " guy" he picked up. I saw a tv show where he talked about the experience, where he indicated that this particular ghost attatched itself to him and kept appearing to him throughout his lifetime to warn him about things.

new topics

top topics

join