It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Fence United States Fence Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Our relationship couldn't be better..... right?

The U.S. House of Representatives voted late Thursday to consider erecting "physical barriers" along the American border with Canada.

It's the firmest step yet toward building the kinds of fences now in place on the Mexican frontier to stop the northward flow of illegal aliens and smuggled goods.

The directive to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security was passed by a strong majority of the House and contained in an amendment to a controversial immigration bill working its way through Congress. The motion cleared the way for about 1,100 kilometres of new fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California, but also urged the agency to "conduct a study on the use of physical barriers along the northern border."

Article Page 1
Article Page 2

What a joke.

If anything like this actually went through, my opinion of the United States would definately take a turn towards the negative.

Mexican President Vicente Fox has described a US proposal to build a fence along their 3,200km (2,000 miles) border as "shameful".

news.bbc.co.uk...

How do you think this makes the citizens of Canada and Mexico feel? Are we that bad?

Will a fence solve your problems? No. There are always ways around.

While not to bash anyone, here is a fact.

In 2004, the U.S. Border Patrol made more than one million apprehensions on the southwestern border, compared with 10,000 at the Canadian line.

lfpress.ca...

So will a fence stop these individuals? No.

It will suround the United States and make them look like a giant prison.

So I say, go ahead, build the fence. But Canada and Mexico should build another fence, 1 foot over, just to be safe.

Mod Edit: CAP title

[edit on 19-12-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
We're never going to fence the U.S.-Canada border. But we likely will erect one on the Mexican border. I think the talk of a Canadian one too is just to fend off allegations of racism, but no one cares if Canadians come here -- even if they carry a bit of hydroponic with them -- but the Mexicans are truly a threat to our sovereignty, as Mexican officials are now promoting a practical invasion of our country by people who don't want to assimilate into our culture.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
To even consider a fence between Mexico and the US is ludicrous. The fence would look like a piece of swiss cheese in a matter of days.

A fence without proper border patrol agents is a waste of taxpayers money and the politicos know this but they don't want to be seen as completely ineffectual and impotent as they most certainly are.

The only true way to stop illegals is to prosecute the businesses that hire them and that's not going to happen.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I would sooner build a wall around Quebec when they separate. And then drain Lake Ontario into it.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
To even consider a fence between Mexico and the US is ludicrous. The fence would look like a piece of swiss cheese in a matter of days.

Well, if thats the case, lets contract out to the company that is building the big fence (wall) in Israel. That one seems to be doing a fine job......

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros

Well, if thats the case, lets contract out to the company that is building the big fence (wall) in Israel. That one seems to be doing a fine job......

It's not really the fence in Israel that is effective. It's the armed Israelies in Israel.

Also in Mexico cinco pesos can get you thru a tunnel right into San Diego.
Schools out!

Please address my second point about American businesses that employ illegals!
Also I'd like to add that when you live in the NE, you are a bit removed from a situation that we who live in the border states live with on a daily basis.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by whaaa]

[edit on 19-12-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Will they call it "The Wall if Freedom"? I think it's part of a larger plan to make the US the world's largest gated community. Determined mexicans will find a way around the wall, but lazy americans will be effectively contained if the border crossings are closed.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This falls in tune with Martin's promise to put a part of the 345mil towards putting unarmed border guards to patrol in the hopes of stoppign the flood of illegal arms into the country.

Yeah, that won't work. His promise to ban handguns just killed a wackload of votes in the west. Now, another ineffective method of curbing gun crime? What more could he want?

DE

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Will they call it "The Wall if Freedom"?

They will call it "Freedom Wall". Painted with a long chain of people of all races holding hands. It would be more political correct.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Not if you electrified it and set up mine fields a couple hundred yards on both sides of it.

Cruel yes.

Effective as well.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Some articles from Canada.

Canada has no interest in a new U.S. initiative to study building a security wall along the border, officials said Saturday.

And a cross-border business group said it makes no sense when what's urgently required are measures to speed the flow of trade.

CBC

A spokesman for Canada's Public Safety Minister says the US has never discussed the notion with Canada during regular meetings on border security.

CFRA

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think physical barriers along the Mexican border would be near impossible, given the size... Canada would definately be impossible... it's one of the longest borders in the world. I don't see why a study needs to be commissioned... just look at a map!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If we used the Mexico fence building monies for additional border patrol agents, I wonder how many more we could put in service?

Upkeep and patrolling the fence will cost a lot as well.
Seems like some more border patrol agents hired would be a better expenditure of the money.
And if the new border patrol agents wear uniforms with a National Guard patch I don't have a problem with that.

Far as a fence along the Canadian border goes, geez, the Canadians are some of the best friends the US ever had.

Thing for Canada to do is not sweat the fence, don't put any monies toward it and drink the good Canadian beer while they watch the US build and pay for the fence....

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The illegals coming in through Mexico are alot bigger of a concern than the few from Canada.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I find the idea of a wall between Canada and the United States to be a total pipedream. From Nova Scotia to Manitoba, no fence can ever exist due to the fact that it is water that seperates one country from the other...and we have had ample proof that water cannot stop smugglers, even with the best of equipment and manpower. Nothing is going to stop a canoe from crossing rivers at night.
The Great Lakes are HUGE...hence their name...and any 17 foot sportfishing boat can make a crossing with lots of gas and a compass. Sure, there's patrols out there, but a determined bunch would still get some boats across, especially at night and well picked courses.

The prairies are do-able for fences, but what about the Rocky Mountains? Anyone who's ever gone there would have to admit the job is nigh impossible.

And, even if, by some amazing feat of engineering a fence did get erected, how easy would it be to blow a hole in an unattended part?

*sarcasm alert*

Nope...the best fence between Canada and America is about 2 million GI's with sniper rifles, stationed every 500 yards in open country (closer in rough terrain) with their eagle eyes and steely reserve, waiting for those deadly canucks with their hockey sticks and maple syrup canisters to invade.

Several billion buried land mines, as well as punji sticks with Mad Cow Poo on them, would be good too...

(vent over)

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have to agree, a fence won't solve much, other than giving a minor barrier. If no one is there to watch it, then what is to stop someone from simply scaling it?

Another thing is, this won't exactly help our our national debt. I think that we should employ a bit more border patrol officers, and encourage civilian groups such as the minutemen.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBurns

I think that we should (snip) encourage civilian groups such as the minutemen.

I'm all for that, as long as they stay on their side of the border. There's enough hunters walking around in our woods with high powered rifles and cammo gear.

Advice to minutemen...don't make turkey or moose calls early in the morning. The predawn light is bad enough for hunting without 'black flag' antler rattling and a lot of our 'good old boys' know how to shoot.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
You don't need a fence between the States and Canada. What you DO need is better cooperation between the intelligence networks of the two countries. The Canadians see the US Intel. as arrogant and unlistening. The US Intel. sees the Can. Intel. as inept. Now I'm not pointing fingers but if everyone gets on the same page things would be a lot easier for everyone.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You don't need a fence between the States and Canada. What you DO need is better cooperation between the intelligence networks of the two countries. The Canadians see the US Intel. as arrogant and unlistening. The US Intel. sees the Can. Intel. as inept. Now I'm not pointing fingers but if everyone gets on the same page things would be a lot easier for everyone.

Now that would be sensible. It sure is smarter than ignoring each other.

CSIS is not an inept organisation...nor are the RCMP. In fact, they're fairly good at what they do. It's certainly in everybody's best interest to cooperate and beats a 'Berlin Wall' in every way.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Look at the bright side - If the U.S. builds that fence, it'll keep all of the illegal aliens in the United Sates and OUT of CANADA. We would be doing you guys one of the greatest favors EVER!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join