It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The D-Ego (Digital Ego)...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Nah, I didn't grow up, I just use my adult voice a little more.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
When I get that sudden urge to point that certain finger at my monitor, its time to log off, and just walk away, get a drink, take a walk, take a shower.

What I find helps me, is when I do return, I reread everything that lead to me getting upset about. With written communication it's easy to misread, or misunderstand what is being talked about.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It's just become so boring and stale, to flame or see a flame post...

ugh, am I getting old?

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Nah, you are just using more of your brain cells inspite of your "Rock Star" life style!

Who Luvs ya Lys?!

Springer... THAT'S WHO!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I guess it's time to respond hehehe cos i'm allowed...

I am the same on here as i am in real life. I am fun loving and outgoing. But, i guess being who i am and having to deal with so many people on a daily basis as a project manager and having a lot of money on the line most of the time, i tend to get my knickers in a knot at times and open my mouth to change feet. Hell, it is getting better!

Speaking about knickers, can't wait to get home and rip my wifes knickers off - cos the elastic is KILLING me!!

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Jerk off online, probably even more so offline. I wonder how I have friends in both. Wild.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I have been on forums and in chat rooms since the advent of them. I've always been the same person I am in real life, with the exception that perhaps I am a bit more outgoing in a chat room than I am in real life. My
personality though, remains the same. I have never even tried to put on a "personna" of any sort- that just seems like too much work.

Great topic, by the way, and it seems to apply as much today as it did when you started it, some time ago. I hope I can contribute something worthwhile to your boards, as much as I enjoy reading them!

Thanks for making things much easier on us newbies, I know for one, I appreciate everything you have done to help us find our way around this huge site!!

Peace!
KarmaGurl

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
*Bump*

This is a great thread and I would like to reiterate what intrepid has said....you can u2u me at any time....and the complaint/suggestion box is never left unattended...

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
The point of all this is...

The TAC (Terms and Conditions of use) specifically FORBID the insulting/name calling of a fellow member period. It does NOT say "it's Okay to insult a member who insults you first".

If you ever find yourself in a situation like this PLEASE use the gripe/idea button or contact a Moderator. It will save you alot of unnecessary anguish and I PROMISE YOU the offending member will be dealt with and YOU will be held in very high regard for handling things correctly and NOT sinking to "their level".

The D-Ego is the favored prey of trolls, trouble makers, spammers, and various other undesirables that do, from time to time, find their way into the hallowed halls of AboveTopSecret.com.

These type of users NEVER last long here. Our members usually find them out within a post or two and we ban them on the spot.

Occasionally, a "good" member will have a bad day, a bit of "drunk" on, or simply go stark raving mad and act the fool (the D-Ego gone haywire). When this happens we certainly DO take into account the history of the member in question and act accordingly. Usually this sort of situation is resolved with a stern "talking to" and a warning.

I do hope this helps to give you a little "for sight" into how this happens and how we deal with it.

Springer...

25 points for bumping seems like a decent one-liner trade.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I know it's my thread but I do feel it is relevant. I'm only posting it here as I can't see anyone else making the link between what's been going on in the thread titled Avatar Symbolism and what's being said here.

And as for anyone thinking of making a post about it here is even smaller, so just as a heads up on how the D-ego (which is a brilliant way of explaining our subconscious actions regarding avatars) reflects our character, feel free to check out the above linked thread and see how others are noticed...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
great post and will definately check out the book and I have been a member for some time now and just started to get the nerve to post and what do you think happened in the first few hrs of that post lol and I got kudos on how I ran and watched the post which made me feel better I dont mind peoples oposing views I just dont think its fair to bash on others for thier views I started to feel hurt and anger and then thought its just the internet dont get so bent and then handled it acordingly but my main thing was that people were not reading all that was posted as the post got bigger and I think that is just in poor taste to post insualts when you haven't even read everything thats gone on in that post anyway great Ideal

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think I've kept my D-Ego in check on here.

Except that one time.

But it's all good now.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
That is why ATS seems to flow...good moderation.
Very funny the girl who posted and was banned. I love the term D-ego it needed a name. Im more out going and bright in the RW, not so much online it just does not translate for me. It is probably because I am to impatient to write out my thoughts. LOL

Thanks Staff, Im new but folks have been really nice.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ahh the D-ego ...its a close friend/enemy to all of us to all of us online, I to have one albeit a small one ,and sometimes it may rear its ugly head here at ATS, but most of the time I like to think I can keep it in check.

I guess time will tell if my D-ego gets the better of me lol.

Great post none the less and ill try and keep it in mind as I'm posting................now I'm off to get some more points.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Waffles and eggs ... the D-Ego on my plate.

I've never allow any TACS to nail me down.
I truly enjoy the ATS family.

Someday I hope to pile up enough points
to have an avatar befitting my off the wall postings.

Thank you Springer for being.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Oh yes. Even big people are threatened. Last week the famous Russian fiction writer Lukjanenko (you have seen "The Night Watch", arent you) closed his blog because his D-Ego was terribly hurt by hordes of trolls in livejournal.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
We think we know ourselves, and how we portray ourselves to others in the RW, thru our body image, dress, demeanor; etc., but on the internet we are stripped of all those visual cues, and who we are is expressed via an avatar, and our beliefs and values are shown not by deeds but by words - faulty, inadequate, often misinterpreted words.
Sometimes we accidentally reveal something here that in the RW we were able to successfully hide. Then we get feedback. Then we are shocked.
Then we question ourselves.
Its a learning experience, not only of whats going out there, but whats going on in here (my head and heart).

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I just wandered in here and I like this one... It's cool to see how ya'll feel. I kind of feel like there might be something wrong with me because in real life and on line I am kind of unsure of myself and won't say something that might offend others or I say something and I reiterate that its my opinion because I don't want to step on anyone's toes! I also think a long time before I post a reply on anything just like in conversation, I think long and hard before I say anything to make sure I have something valid to bring to the table. But I am still scared of making a fool of myself to everyone in real life and here on ATS.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HBStar

But I am still scared of making a fool of myself to everyone in real life and here on ATS.

How long do you think you can keep that up?
There isn't a single person here (or out there) who hasn't at some point said or done something stupid (in hindsight).
We all survived -- and so would you. The world does not come to a stop on such minor grounds.
I can relate somewhat because I was unaccustomed to revealing too many faults until I realized it was futile to try and appear "perfect" because no one is.
Life's a lot easier now in some ways because of it.
Ironically, it also makes you a little more palatable to others because when they can have a little laugh at your expense; then you are less intimidating and more welcome to them.
Unfortunately you also see a lot of people on here who just full out seem to love putting others down from the safety and anonymity of their computers.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Thanks, I never really thought of it that way. I have thought about this and think I may sometimes come off cold for this very reason.

Since I am spending a lot more time at home and on the pc, I figure I'll use this as a way to sort of practice being more vocal on topics. Doesn't hurt to try

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join