It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what speed are we moving?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wouldnt a person be able to measure the speed of light on earth in each 3d direction x,y,z and calculate what speed we are traveling at by compareing the measured speed to the constant speed of light. If the speed of light is indeed constant then it will apear to move faster in the direction we are going away from. And it will apear to go slower in the direction we are going. In fact it seems this measurement and calculation would be neccisary just to get the true speed of light constant because of our movement through the universe. Any one direction measurement would be corrupted unless we are in fact setting still and the universe is rotateing around us
So unless we have an currently inaccurate speed of light measurement , or the speed of light is not a constant , or the entire universe is rotateing around us (all of which seem rather unlikely) then it seems to me that our speed in the universe has probably already been calculated by anyone that has measure the speed of light accurately.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heckman
If the speed of light is indeed constant then it will apear to move faster in the direction we are going away from. And it will apear to go slower in the direction we are going.

"Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it." - Gene Wilder, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

And, no, the light won't appear to change in speed at all, but instead you'll see the Doppler effect. For which all basic concepts can be learned...

here.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I thought the doppler effect had to do with changeing frequency rather than the speed of. Oh well shows how much I know

[edit on 18-12-2005 by Heckman]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
That's exactly correct. That was my point. The velocity won't change, the frequency and wavelength will.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
That does make sense because you will see each wave faster if you are going toward it. Thus it will appear as a higher freq . How can the velocity not be measured differently if C is in fact constant or "the limit"?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Here's Mr. Einstein's comments on that very question:

The relative velocity of any two objects never exceeds the velocity of light. Applying the Lorentz transformation to the velocities, expressions are obtained for the relative velocities as seen by the different observers. They are called the Einstein velocity addition relationships.

Courtesy of hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think the more important focus is of the schumann resonance and that related stuff..'time' has been speeding up more and more and change continues

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeman
Thats is to say all of us here, in our solar system, what speed are we moving with?

What if we are moving with a speed near to light, how would we know it. The universe is expandning, so we must be moving catch my drift, what speed are we moving at?

The Earths rotation around the sun is about 66,000 MPH. not joking.

[edit on 12/18/0505 by brodband]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I am confused. If get on a space ship and set up a light in the back of the ship and a sensor in the front. I measure the speed of light while I am stopped relative to me and the earth. From the back to front of the spaceship. I then accelerate forward in the direction from back to front to a near light speed velocity. I measure the speed of light again from the back to the front. Now you said the velocity will not change relative to me but only the frequency will change? I'm lost
How could that be the case unless light actually is traveling faster than the speed of light when it is inside my space ship that has already accelerated to near c.

Ok that being set aside , with the frequency change couldn't one measure our speed through the universe by using changes in the frequency due to the difference in our relative speed? Measuring the frequency north and south, east and west , up and down and calculate the difference in wavelength?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The Galaxy Song
Monty Python
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
It's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
Round a sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.
The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.
Sung by Eric Idle in "The Meaning of Life"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join