It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where would you go for an adventure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Some people would like to sail or even row across the Atlantic, some folks would like to climb Mount Everest or Anapurna. Whether it's skiing down a mountain or bicycling across Europe or Asia, people love adventure. Where would you go, what would you do in the name of adventure?

Oh, for my own adventure, I would love to walk the "Santiago Trail" or, as it is also called "The Way of St. James". This is an ancient pilgrimage trail from Paris to the Cathedral of St. James de Compastela in Spain. The trail is nearly 2,000 Km. long, crossing the Pyrannes Mountains. It's my idea of an adventure that would combine my desire for historical exploration and education with the sheer endurance of a great walk. What's your ideal adventure that you would some day like to attempt, better yet, accomplish?

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think for an adventure, I would like to go to the "other side" and see whats over there, before I actually really have to go. I think if might be interesting, although I may get stuck in a mental institution for the rest of my life here, PSTD and all... hahaha

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Since I've already been to Australia 3 times, I'd have to say My next adventure hopefully will be to Ireland, Japan, & or Greece.

To adventure & travel the paths of ancient days gone, to get lost in old traditions & ways of life, that's what I want.

To stumble down an alley by accident, & find an old store that only the locals know about, that tourists aren't generally welcome into, that would be cool.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
BT, If you want an adventure into high strangeness might I suggest the beautiful San Luis valley in southern Colorado. Things are not what they seem and neither are the inhabitants. The landscape is incredible, the fishing outstanding, hiking first class with always the possibility of an event that will shake your view of reality to its very core. As Lou Reed said; "take a walk on the wild side!"

Personally I want to go anywhere Hemingway went.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Japan, all the way. I wanna go there so badly.

Actually, I take that back. Outer space. Hands down. And it won't be long now...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
i would love to go to outta space obviously...
but i would love to go to japan just to look at the culture.
but i dont want to go to the city i was to go to a nice little village and take on their ways of life and the simplicity of it all.

and i would love to go Aitutaki Atoll. its a beautiful and peaceful place. there is nothing there apart from sea sand the sun and the fish in the sea. you travel two miles on a man made float to get supplies. that would be heaven for me.

here is a pick

oni x x

[edit on 15-12-2005 by Oni x x]

[edit on 15-12-2005 by Oni x x]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wow, BT.

Early each summer, I start talking with Frau Dr. about the pilgrimage to Santiago Compastella. There are a lot of travelogues online from pilgrims. I'm a protestant, but like you, I'm interested in the history and the countryside.

Plus, if you do it on foot, you earn the right to add a scallop shell to your personal coat of arms, according to the rules of heraldry. (There's already one on my family's, but still . . .)

In 2000, the catholic church designated historical churches across the US, and there were several thousand people who did a US pilgrimage for the year of Jubilee. Frau and I met a herd of them while we were on vacation in the midwest. If the RCC had it together, they'd have pilgrimages in the USA .

Other Travel adventures:

1. Frau Dr. and I talk a lot about going to Vienna for "Rausching," the Waltz season that begins after Epiphany (Jan 6.) and runs through Ash Wednesday. I can't dance, so I'd better learn a lot in the next 3 weeks if we're gonna go THIS year !!!!! (not going to happen.)

2. I would like to go salmon fishing in Alaska. I have an associate at work who went in October, and won't shut up about it.

3. I'd like to go Elk hunting in Colorado. I got a really nice little white-tail buck on Thanksgiving Friday, and was telling my cousin about it. He just laughed at me and sent me the pic of the ENORMOUS elk over his fireplace. He went on horseback, and spent a week tracking it down during a snowstorm a couple of years ago. You're doing good if you dress out 75 lbs. of meat from a texas white-tail. He was talking about 250 lbs. of Elk!

4. Frau says a fall foliage tour of New England, or "a spa vacation, you know . . . where people are paid to rub on me all the time."

I think Frau and I are at the point in life where the best-sounding vacation is one where we just take time off from work and relax with the kids. We had talked about going to Mexico after Christmas, but we'll probably just lay around the house. I may do some more hunting. but that's about it.

top topics

join