It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the Talon System: DoD's Domestic Intelligence Gathering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Pentagon Intelligence Agency Gathers Domestic Intelligence

Day after day, reports of suspicious activity filed from military bases and other defense installations throughout the United States flow into the Counterintelligence Field Activity, or CIFA, a three-year-old Pentagon agency whose size and budget remain classified, the WASHINGTON POST is planning to report on Sunday, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE.

The Talon reports, as they are called, are based on information from civilians and military personnel who stumble across people or information they think might be part of a terrorist plot or threat against defense facilities at home or abroad.

It is unclear how many Talon reports are filed each year. But just one of the military services involved in the program, the Air Force, generated 1,200 of them during 14 months, the paper reveals.

The documents can consist of ``raw information reported by concerned citizens and military members regarding suspicious incidents,'' said a 2003 memo signed by then-Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz. The reports ``may or may not be related to an actual threat, and its very nature may be fragmented and incomplete,'' the memo said.

More...

Looks like we just chucked out all the rules, eh?

Makes you wonder why this is necessary if stories about Echelon are true.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by loam]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Make you wonder why this is necessary if stories about Echelon are true.

Perhaps because the stories about ECHELON are not true?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I always suspected as much...

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

The documents can consist of ``raw information reported by concerned citizens and military members regarding suspicious incidents,'' said a 2003 memo signed by then-Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz.

Unfreakin' believable...
How could they be doing this?

I tell you what, if I was in charge I would never look into reports of suspicious incidents civilians and military members are noticing, let alone have the incidents in a report.

The Talon reports, as they are called, are based on information from civilians and military personnel who stumble across people or information they think might be part of a terrorist plot or threat against defense facilities at home or abroad.

Tell them to stop reporting the stuff....

we don't want to hear about what they think "might be part of a terrorist plot or threat against defense facilities at home or abroad". Am I Right or am I right?

Stop the surveillance.. (they trying to protect us or something?)

[edit on 10-12-2005 by andpau66]

[edit on 10-12-2005 by andpau66]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Looks like we just chucked out all the rules, eh?

Um, no. Talon reports have been around for a while now.

SIGNAL Magazine

Concept development and design for Protect America, the precursor to the system, now dubbed the Joint Protection Enterprise Network (JPEN), began in February 2003 (SIGNAL, June 2003, page 35). By the end of April, the pilot program was operational, and shortly thereafter the project was renamed Vision.

[edit on 12/10/05 by makeitso]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I tell you what, if I was in charge I would never look into reports of suspicious incidents civilians and military members are noticing, let alone have the incidents in a report.

Really? You do know that had this been allowed and more encouraged prior to 9/11, that tragic day might have been stopped.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I do believe andpau66 was being sarcastic...

Is there no merit to keeping the military out of domestic law enforcement intelligence? Why not keep that a civilian effort?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
You would be correct, loam. I was being very sarcastic in that post.

It is still a civilian effort. Government agencies have much more funding and trained people to do this stuff. Don't you think they could pull together more resources to help investigate potential threats?

What do you mean by domestic law enforcement? You meaning having the FBI doing this instead?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Westpoint23, what in gods green earth makes you thnk the USA needed 'more' evidence in order to stop 911..

think about it..
the fbi had scouts WATCHING known terrorists attend FLIGHT SCHOOLS inside the fricken USA

The FBI years prior caught yousef with his laptop, which had the additional bojinka idea of using PLANES AS MISSLES INTO THE WTC

this was not a shock to the US government.

I mean the father of the current president was receiving CIA reports when his son got into power, he knew they were going to hit, and he told his son how to handle the situation shall it arise.

And no. 1 on that list of things to do, we get rid of the evidence.. thus the binladens left the country, the next day.

do you REALLY think your super power of a government, that can put a spy satelite over ANY inch of this planet.. DIDNT know they were about to get hit?
by cave dwellars?

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Washington Post Article Referenced Above

Defense Facilities Pass Along Reports of Suspicious Activity

Day after day, reports of suspicious activity filed from military bases and other defense installations throughout the United States flow into the Counterintelligence Field Activity, or CIFA, a three-year-old Pentagon agency whose size and budget remain classified.

The documents can consist of "raw information reported by concerned citizens and military members regarding suspicious incidents," said a 2003 memo signed by then-Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz. The reports "may or may not be related to an actual threat, and its very nature may be fragmented and incomplete," the memo said...

CIFA, according to a Pentagon background paper provided to The Washington Post in response to inquiries, has established standards for Talon reports and handling that "meet intelligence oversight requirements." The statement said "U.S. person information" -- reports concerning people in the United States -- "is collected and retained only as authorized" by presidential executive order.

Spokesmen for the FBI, Director of National Intelligence John D. Negroponte and the National Counterterrorism Center all said their principals would not comment on CIFA's Talon activities...

It is unclear how many Talon reports are filed each year. But just one of the military services involved in the program, the Air Force, generated 1,200 during the 14 months that ended in September 2003, according to the inspector general's newsletter.

Among the types of information worth recording, according to a Talon report guide that accompanied the Wolfowitz memo, are threats or incidents that "may indicate a potential for a threat . . . whether the threat posed is deliberately targeted or collateral." Another trigger for reporting would be attempts by individuals to monitor U.S. facilities, including the taking of pictures, annotating maps or drawings of facilities, use of binoculars "or other vision-enhancing devices" or attempts to obtain "security-related or military specific information."

Other categories for reports were attempts to acquire badges, passes or theft of materials that could be used to manufacture false identification cards or thefts of military uniforms...

more...

Doesn't really add that much more....

But, I'm not really sure what they mean by "information from civilians and military personnel who stumble across people or information they think might be part of a terrorist plot or threat against defense facilities at home or abroad."

Originally, I assumed they meant government employees...but that could also be read to mean you neighbor!

That is rather odd language.

[edit on 11-12-2005 by loam]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A website run by George Washington University called the 'National Security Archives' has a bunch of the TALON documents gathered under the Pentagons CIFA program. The TALON documents are one of the 'Electronic Briefing Books' maintain on the website.
You can access the documents directly by going to the website at the following web address:

nsarchive.com...

I hope this reply to this post will aid others in locating the TALON documents.
This website also has other Electronic Briefing Books that may be of interest to those who are members of ATS/BTS.
Many of the EEB's have information that will be useful in researching for info to post here on the ATS/BTS boards.
Happy huntimg!

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I just checked the web address for the National Security Archives and realized I didn't put it down correctly. The full address is:

nsarchives.com

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused everyone. My apologies.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Really? You do know that had this been allowed and more encouraged prior to 9/11, that tragic day might have been stopped.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by WestPoint23]

And HOW exactly would citizen snitching stop an inside job? The 9-11 events were an inside job, no doubt. So no matter what was sent to the snitch bureau nothing could have stopped the 9-11 events because they were planned and executed by the top military and MOSSAD black ops types to foment the PNAC plan to fruition.

Do you really believe that some guys in a cave pulled 9-11 off? If so, why? What evidence makes you believe that?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I would like to apologize for having that websites address wrong. The websites url is:

www.nsarchives.org...

I am sorry for any inconvemiem
ce this may have caused other members of the ATS/BTS website.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
They all need to be boiled in their own pudding. Failing that mass ejection into the Van Allen Belts works for me.

top topics

join