It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Start up Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I have a problem with windows start up

Every time i switch on the computer, it goes to the safe mode start options.

these are

Safe mode
safe mode with network
safe mode with command prompt

last know good settings

start windows normally

no matter which one i choose, the computer restarts and goes back to the same list.

i tried to press F8, this brings up a diffrent list, all with the same result

i have gigabyte Xpress recovery, but i dont know how to use it

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What operating system are you using???

Have you tried starting with a boot disk or starting with your O/S disc in your drive???

Post a few system specs please.

[edit on 3/12/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Thats strange, unless the os is completely borked it usually goes into last known good configuration

You can pop your gateway disk in on bootup and follow the directions, but be warned its a gateway and it will probably want to format the drive

Another idea if you can get to the command prompt is to type scanreg /fix

that often fixes the issues without using the cd.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
ok

it is windows xp

i cant find a command prompt, i dont know how to get one

it is a 2004 rz series mother board

amd semptron proccessor, 2400+ speed

is that 2.4 ghz? becuse this comp is very slow.
when it did work it took at least 15 minutes to load up at the start.

what else do you wnt?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Apparently, from Mayet's post, this is a Gateway system.?

Is it running WinXP?

If it is, and if you have the disc, then the following may very well work. The key being, as it's a package system, knowing your administrator password.

Start the computer with the WinXP disc in the cd/dvd drive.
When prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD" do so.
Otherwise reconfigure your bios to seek the cd before the IDE. [u2u me if need be]

When presented with the "Install/Repair/What do you want to do" screen, press "R"

Then select the #, usually 1, for the partition containing your windows installation.

Here's where you will need the administrator password. [if it has been set]

Once logged in to "Repair" type the following:

chkdsk /f /r

Press the "Enter/Return" key on your keyboard.

If/When it starts ... walk away, go eat dinner, watch a movie, etc.

I've recovered many drives using this method, the majority of which were resultant from system halts, freezes, crashes, faulty Windows Updates, hardware driver issues as well as complete loss of System32 files.

Give it a shot ... u2u if needed.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
yes it did say something about system32 files before.

but running the fix from windows will wipe all the saved files?

we cant have that. is there another way or a way to back up them without going into windows?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Running chkdsk will NOT delete nor replace ANY files. The procedure uses the recovery console to run a full 5 stage scan of your hard drive, not to be confused with the "repair" Windows feature.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ive seen this alot, and im afraid to say chances are eithe your partition has become curropt, or your windows directory has lost its systemroot path.

when you say it reboots, do you get to the windows background, see a mouse opinter then it reboots, or is it a black screen... then boom all of a sudden the post startup restarts and ur going through the hdd check and so forth.

if yo u have a windows 2000 cd, put that in, boot and go repair.
windows 2k has a utility on it that enables you to immediately fix a curreopt partition ' so long as it isnt TOTALLY stuffed ' just by booting,

I was amazed when i managed to save my 80gb mp3 hdd on my xp system by booting from a win2k cd...

So, what i recommend to you...
Is either.. use a windows 98 floppy boot disk, and see if you can get into your C:\ that way, if you can, thats good.. probably a re-installation of windows will fix your problem.
If you can get to the C:\ but CANT do a dir/w and get a file listing, your partition has become void,
So, put your HDD into ANOTHER machine on the secondary IDE cable, you might be able to copy and paste files from it to save them, but if you cant.. them im afraid your going to have to remove the partition, create a new one, then install windows.

Yes, you will lost everything if all else but the later failes.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
So, put your HDD into ANOTHER machine on the secondary IDE cable, you might be able to copy and paste files from it to save them, but if you cant.. them im afraid your going to have to remove the partition, create a new one, then install windows.

This solution posted by Agit8dChop has served me well in the past.
I crashed a 60 gig drive that held my O/S and could not get back in. The files on the drive were more important than anything else, so I pulled the drive and intalled a new one. After the new install and setup, I plugged the old drive to the secondary IDE and was able to rescue all my files plus any programs that I wanted.

After formatting the old drive and running scandisk and defrag and repartitioning etc.... I found that I'd lost some space due to corrupted or damaged sectors, but I still had my precious files that I thought I'd lost forever.
And that old drive still works today in another machine, but it only contains stuff that is backed up on disk because I don't trust it anymore......

Good Luck, let us know how this turns out...........

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

by Agit8dChop:
So, what i recommend to you...
Is either.. use a windows 98 floppy boot disk, and see if you can get into your C:\ that way,

Booting to a DOS prompt will only provide access to "c:\" IF the hard drive is using a FAT32 partition. If it's using an NTFS partition you will need to boot with your XP disk to gain access to the Repair Console. Once you have "logged in" to the installation of Windows there are a multitude of diagnostic and repair tools available.

"chkdsk" with both the /f and /r switches often times will work wonders for corrupt data files as well as the situation put forth in the initial post (stuck in a boot loop). In this mode chkdsk will not only run the typical "scandisk" functions, but will also fix file system errors and check the hard disk for physical errors. You should actually run chkdsk with /F /R about once a month.

"fixboot" is very useful for fragged boot sectors.

As stated in prior responses, Yes ... if you have access to another functional system simply hook the faulty drive up as a slave and read from it like a file cabinet. Copy what you need to a good drive then wipe it and re-install.

Unless, when you attempt to access it, and it tells you "Drive is not formatted ... Would you like to format the drive now?".

That would demonstrate as Agit8d has stated, that the partition(s) have been corrupted therefore requiring re-partitioning and formatting of the drive. (i.e. loss of files)

If you do not have access to another working system or another hard drive to reinstall on. I would highly recommend using the tools available in the Repair Console of XP. See above

[edit on 12/4/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54

it is windows xp
i cant find a command prompt, i dont know how to get one
it is a 2004 rz series mother board
Amd semptron proccessor, 2400+ speed
is that 2.4 ghz? becuse this comp is very slow.
when it did work it took at least 15 minutes to load up at the start.

no the amd 2400 does not run at 2.4 ghz. AMD processors run a bit different a 2400 will run at around 2.0 ghz (not exact on that one), there is charts on amd's site which can tell you the ghz that each processor runs at.

You really need to follow the intructions now by 12m8keall2c If you cant get to a command prompt a system file check and fixing the reg cannot happen so you need to use your gateway disk to recover.

The system was slow to start up before because of a problem, your start up either had heaps of junk in there, or somethng like the network wasn't set properly which would make the sytem search for ages for it on boot up.

you will need to do an msconfig after you have fixed everything and remove all non essential crap including MS office from the start up menu to make it easier on ram and easier faster start up.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just a note Tiddly54.

My business allows me to work from home usually 3 out of 5 days/week. I'd be happy to walk you through anything over the phone.

Please u2u if need be.

On a side note:
The AMD Sempron 2400+ runs @ 1.67Ghz with a 333Mhz FSB speed. With a good M/B and sufficient, quality memory it makes for a decent multi-purpose system. Internet, Office Apps, Gaming, etc. Your slow startup issues are most likely due to background autostarts which can be easily remedied.

First and foremost is your main drive ... AND ALL YOUR FILES!

[edit on 12/4/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

join