It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Christmas Trees?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

I still find it funny that Christians celebrate Christmas and really think their god was born on that day, even though everyone knows it was the birthday of the Sun God, not the son of God.

Yule is alot more fun anyway, and alot less depressing, I think.

Christmas isn't the observed day of God's birth but that of Jesus. Pagan holidays fell/fall on this period due to some sort of thing having to due with the moon. I read somewhere that the 25th of December was made the observed birthday to "take over" the pagan celebrations. I can't speak for "Christians" in general but I find most Catholics are aware that Christmas is a holiday of observation rather than a strictly literal calendar anniversary of Christ's birth.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Is There Anyone Out There Who's Really Offended by Christmas Trees?

Nope.

Cut em down for Christ's day, plant them on Earth's day.

balanced and fair.
Kill life for God, give life for Earth.

We prioritize well, don't we?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm not even Christian and I still get a christmas tree lol. I dunno, I like them, theyre bright, shiny, decorative, they smell nice. Its just a tree, and it dates back to the celebration of the Winter Solstus (sp?) so you know, its not really a religious symbol as much as it is an adapted holiday symbol.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2nd Hand Thoughts

Christmas isn't the observed day of God's birth but that of Jesus. Pagan holidays fell/fall on this period due to some sort of thing having to due with the moon. I read somewhere that the 25th of December was made the observed birthday to "take over" the pagan celebrations. I can't speak for "Christians" in general but I find most Catholics are aware that Christmas is a holiday of observation rather than a strictly literal calendar anniversary of Christ's birth.

Read my post again. And Jesus basically is god in the Christian faith. Thus, Christians celebrate the 25th as the birth of their god, their son of god, who is part of their holy trinity.

The pagan celebrations were not based on the moon, but the sun, the Winter Solstice, which is the longest night of the year and the beginning of a slow increase in light.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well the good thing the White House did is offically rename the "Holiday Tree" to a Christmas Tree as it SHOULD be!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I think the whole debate of "holiday or christmas tree/day" is absolutely ludacris.

I am a devout atheist and antagnostic.

I do not hate christians, well, not most of them.
How many of you guys saw the famous "wife swap" episode on tv with the psycho bible thumper gap-tooth cow?

Personally, i think it is chrisitans who are to blame for the ensuing onslaught.
Mainly because they take offense to stores posting "happy holiday" signs instead of "merry christmas"....for cryin out loud, buisnesses are just trying to be pc, and to appeal to a larger market, i.e. judaism, buddism, muslim, quanza, and whoever else want's to shop at their store during the holidays.

I do not celebrate christmas as a birth of a god, or christ, or whatever, i think it's ridiculous nonsense, but that's just my opinion. I do still put up a tree, give out presents, and spend time with loved ones and family, not necessarily in that order

The pure idea that people are offended and have to defend themselves over a holiday tree is completly retarded. If someone wants to call it a holiday tree, fine by me, i'll still call it a christmas tree, reguardless of what they do for a living. I don't follow the religious aspects of it, but if i walk down the street and say merry christmas, then i in turn, would be makin an assumption that you are christian ,so what if i pissed off a muslim, or jewish person?

You won't, that's the point, you don't see jews and islam getting pissed because your calling it a holiday tree? christians are the ones who are more imposing of their "will" and thier "one god idea" than any muslim or follower of islam could ever be. why do so many in this country take to the streets and boycott a store for trying to appeal to all audiences? so someone calls their child philbert, you gonna piss and moan because it's not a traditional american name too? no, and that is the same ridiculous idea that this argument is about.

I'm sure you both have good points on both sides, but in the end, a big question remains..

why?

why argue over something so stupid? instead of spending your holidays trying to prevent others from calling thier celabratory day whatever they wish, just go to your own home, and enjoy your extra day off, cause your gonna have a hell of a hangover when you go back to work monday!

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I will have my CHRISTMAS TREE and to be honest I don't care who is offended by that. Somebody. somewhere will always be offended by something - thats life. Just get on with it - enjoy the pressies, the great food and drink.

Holiday Tree!!!! I have never heard anything so stupid..No wonder this earth is so screwed up!!!! Beam me up......

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
Holiday Tree!!!! I have never heard anything so stupid..No wonder this earth is so screwed up!!!! Beam me up......

Being offended by either "Holiday Tree" or "Christmas Tree" is why the Earth is so screwed up. If anyone is this concerned with semantics their obviously missing the point of either celebration, Winter Solstice or Christmas. Winter Solstice is the Pagan celebration of the first day of winter(around Dec 22.) It is the shortest day of the year, hense solstice which means "sun stoppage".

This time of year people are celebrating many Holy-day's, so whats wrong with saying Happy Holiday's and be inclusive of everyone, including Christmas.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charlie Murphy
This time of year people are celebrating many Holy-day's, so whats wrong with saying Happy Holiday's and be inclusive of everyone, including Christmas.

I wasn't commenting on whether we call it Holy-days I was talking about calling a Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree. There is a difference. Why are people always trying to sanitize everything? That is what offends me. Just let us leave somethings be...
there is enough change in the world. We need to retain some tradition..

[edit on 17/12/2005 by Lady of the Lake]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Save the trees!!!

rent a tree this season!!

Link

if they had something like that in my area, I'd go for it!!!

Mod Edit: Truncated Link Of Great Length.

[edit on 18/12/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
Just let us leave somethings be...
there is enough change in the world. We need to retain some tradition..

Ya let's try to keep the original tradition of Winter Solstice alive, and not totally let Christmas take-over. Some people do not have Christmas trees, and prefer a Holiday Tree. Let anyone call them whatever they want, why does it matter?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
hmmm...just wondering...which has been around longer - winter solstice or the Christian Jesus?

Pat Robertson has one answer....is there another?

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

hmmm...just wondering...which has been around longer - winter solstice or the Christian Jesus?

the rotation of the planet and the changing of the seasons has been around
since this world was called from chaos.

I was going to ask a question here but i fear it would take this topic way to far afield so I thionk I will ask it as a new topic.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
A Christmas Tree once called my mother fat. That offended me.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan
A Christmas Tree once called my mother fat. That offended me.

was it jealous that your mom had more fuzz than the tree?

j/k

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i honestly cant see how anyone could be offended by the word "christmas tree".
Its funny how we muslims get blamed for do gooders coming up with these ideas, when muslims really dont care.
Most muslims i know even celebrate christmas too.....they dont see it as religious, just as a celebration of the country they live in.
Myself, although not getting a "holiday tree" (cos i dont have much room) am still going to cook "traditional" dinner come 25th dec.

Even after becoming muslim, i have to say, i love christmas, i love the feeling, the tv, the movies, the warmth......its great.

Happy Christmas to everyone anyway.....i hope you all have a great holiday, whatever religion or non-religion you are!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
Its funny how we muslims get blamed for do gooders coming up with these ideas, when muslims really dont care.
Most muslims i know even celebrate christmas too.....they dont see it as religious, just as a celebration of the country they live in.
Myself, although not getting a "holiday tree" (cos i dont have much room) am still going to cook "traditional" dinner come 25th dec.

Even after becoming muslim, i have to say, i love christmas, i love the feeling, the tv, the movies, the warmth......its great.

Happy Christmas to everyone anyway.....i hope you all have a great holiday, whatever religion or non-religion you are!!!!!!!!

amen to that one brother!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by geek101

Fantastic - thank you.

I travel to Malaysia each month and I can assure you most of them enjoy Christmas. Malaysia (in case you didn't know) is a Muslim country and as stated they enjoy Christmas celebrations as much as we do. In fact I think the Malays are the smart ones they celebrate all holy days (they have a lot of public holidays into the bargain). All of my employees up there wish me Merry Christmas and they will be having a Christmas Work Party this week.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

I understand. The season's got you in a funk and has clouded your reasoning. I recommend you take a child shopping, maybe visit some nursing home occupants, have a little cocoa. It'll be ok. Once you've come back to reality and embraced the season, you won't be so depressed when the Colts jackhammer the Seahawks into submission.
Cheers!

***cough*** snicker***

What was that? Hmmmmmmmmm? Yeah. I thought so.

Its ok. Dont Cry. Im sure someday the Colts might actually be worthy to play in the same stadium as Seattle.

But not this time. Nope. I got my Christmas gift.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

***cough*** snicker***

What was that? Hmmmmmmmmm? Yeah. I thought so.

Its ok. Dont Cry. Im sure someday the Colts might actually be worthy to play in the same stadium as Seattle.

But not this time. Nope. I got my Christmas gift.

Well, it's an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good. If the worst thing that happens to me in 2006 is the Colts don't win the Super Bowl, it'll be my best year in a very, very long time.

Merry Christmas.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join