It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Cent, the War Profiteer and the $10 million Mitzvahpalooza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Only in America...

Why the world's best 13th birthday party has Iraq vets' blood boiling!

GNN

On the day the President told the American people to prepare for the long haul in Iraq, here’s a story that seems to perfectly sum up our priorities as a nation. They’re calling it Mitzvahpalooza. It may go down in history as the world’s most obscene birthday party David H. Brooks, CEO of bulletproof vest maker DHB Industries, spared no expense for his 13-year old daughter’s entry into adulthood. The girl and 300 of her closest BFFs were entertained recently in New York’s Rainbow Room by Don Henley, Stevie Nicks, Kenny G, Aerosmith and, believe it or not, 50 Cent (I guess 500 large can make you forget all about street cred). It was hosted by Tom Petty. The reported cost: $10 million.

Photos Here

According to United for a Fair Economy, Brooks and Co. have made a tidy profit outfitting our nation’s fighting men and women in body armor that allegedly can’t take a hit from a 9mm round.

David H. Brooks, CEO of bulletproof vest maker DHB Industries, earned $70 million in 2004, 13,349% more than his 2001 compensation of $525,000. Brooks also sold company stock worth about $186 million last year, spooking investors who drove DHB’s share price from more than $22 to as low as $6.50 [DHB was trading at $4.20 today]. In May 2005, the U.S. Marines recalled more than 5,000 DHB armored vests after questions were raised about their effectiveness. By that time, Brooks had pocketed over $250 million in war windfalls.

UFE’s full report Executive Excess 2005

Indeed, Iraq war veterans are not pleased. Paul Rieckhoff, an Iraq war veteran and founder of Operation Truth told me, “It is already disturbing that anyone can live the high-life as a result of the booming war business, but it is particularly disheartening to hear about someone having their own private Lollapalooza, in part from the sale of defective equipment that put our troops in harm’s way. America must take a long, hard look at the idea of profit on the battlefield.”

Another OpTruth Iraq vet, Bobby Yen, had a darker take, “I guess it just goes to show the state of affairs and the state of mind of this tired, old (of mind) veteran that when this story came up it didn’t even make me blink. So some rich guy somewhere who made tons of money selling defective bulletproof vests to the military has a filthy rich party for his daughter’s Bat Mitzvah. ‘Oh, wow, someone wants to endanger my life for a few bucks?’ Sounds like the entire war. So the soldiers get paid poorly, on occasion shell out there own few bucks to buy gear, lose a year of their life, lose their sanity, lose their limbs, lose their lives, and a very few, very select group closely connected to our government get very, very rich. OK, if that’s what the American people want. If that’s what they voted for.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Indeed.

What Irony that this 10 Million Dollar B-day Party for a 13-Year old Daughter of a Warprofiteer came at the moment, that President of the United States had a Speech about "Plans For Iraq".

And while the Marines receive second grade Equipment, which did not pass Military's own quality tests (!), the CEO of the DHB gets Filthy Rich in few years, since the War on Terrorism started, and US deployed soldiers in Afganistan and Iraq.

But the Safety and Securit of American Boys is of no Importance here - the only thing, that is Imporant in this Corporate-Capitalistic Goverment is to MAKE PROFIT. Thats why Companies, such as DHB or Halliburton make those enormous profits - because they get payed by the goverment, meaning it was the American Taxpayers Money that they got so FILTHY rich of.

Again it the Picture is Clear: War on Terror is a War for Profits and it has nothing to do with Liberty, Democracy or Freedom - but it has EVERYTHING to do with Profits, Corruption and Corporate Power.

The Few People will get very VERY Rich, and others will yet again, pay the Price for them.

Related Stories:
US: Florida Garment Workers Denounce Sale of Faulty Body Armor

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Good luck on this girl's sweet 16th party......

If daddy is going to drop coin like this now when she is 13 what will she expect when she is 16?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perfect stranger
If daddy is going to drop coin like this now when she is 13 what will she expect when she is 16?

And the way this "War" is going, her Daddy is most Likely to stay in Business for LONG time!

Still 100 Views and 1 Replay.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
What can somebody say about this? I have known since Vietnam that this was how business was done in America, but the Bush administration seems to have elevated it to a new level. I sincerely wish that this bozo had donated vests to the military to the tune of what was spent on the party. There needs to be some law passed to prevent war profiteering. Maybe this guys company needs to be nationalized for the duration of the war? I have nothing against throwing a grand party for your kin, but war should not be an occasion for excessive profits.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
What can somebody say about this? I have known since Vietnam that this was how business was done in America, but the Bush administration seems to have elevated it to a new level. I sincerely wish that this bozo had donated vests to the military to the tune of what was spent on the party. There needs to be some law passed to prevent war profiteering. Maybe this guys company needs to be nationalized for the duration of the war? I have nothing against throwing a grand party for your kin, but war should not be an occasion for excessive profits.

Well, thats the Corporate Approach to Wars: Exploiting the Market.
And you know that a Corporation is a legal entity (distinct from a natural person) that often has similar rights in law to those of a natural person. OK. Lets look at it from a Medical point of view then, like a PERSON:

To more precisely assess the "personality" of the corporate "person," a checklist is employed, using actual diagnostic criteria of the World Health Organization and the DSM-IV, the standard diagnostic tool of psychiatrists and psychologists. The operational principles of the corporation give it a highly anti-social "personality": It is self-interested, inherently amoral, callous and deceitful; it breaches social and legal standards to get its way; it does not suffer from guilt, yet it can mimic the human qualities of empathy, caring and altruism. Four case studies, drawn from a universe of corporate activity, clearly demonstrate harm to workers, human health, animals and the biosphere. Concluding this point-by-point analysis, a disturbing diagnosis is delivered: the institutional embodiment of laissez-faire capitalism fully meets the diagnostic criteria of a "PSYCHOPATH."

www.thecorporation.com... (a GREAT Documentary!)

Yep - its the PSYCHO Approach to Selling War as a Commercial product.
The Results are in front of you.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
First of all, since when is a 13 year old entering 'adulthood' ?

That is some scary s**t in itself lol

And this whole entire article and event has sickened me, how these people live with themselves is beyond me

especially the fact that they paid 50 Cent to play, He induces my gag reflexes every time I hear him on the radio and that's for free! ughhhhhhh

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I better be invented to her 21st...

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

And I always thought that you are entering "Adulthood" when you are 18 or 21. But I guess Daddy knows best for his little Girl, right?

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
I better be invented to her 21st...

Errr... say what?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think your points can be made quite effectively without delving into why you think the Jewish tradition of 13 meaning entering adulthood is stupid or "scary #" as stated above.

And this from people who tell others to be tolerant of other cultures.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Whats disgusting and obscene is this amount of money being spent on anyones birthday. Pretty sad he has to spend so much making his kid feel special, most of us make our kids happy with a wish and a piece of cake with their name on it. They haven't got a pot to piss in as far as family values are concerned and with all the bling bling they got, it's not something you can purchase anyway. These people walk thru life with no peripheral vision, they never see the less fortunate who silently walk beside them.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Theyre jewish. Around 13 is when boys and girls become adults. Hence the Mitzvah part of "Mitzvahpalooza".

[edit on 12-2-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Theyre jewish. Around 13 is when boys and girls become adults. Hence the Mitzvah part of "Mitzvahpalooza".

[edit on 12-2-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

Thank you for this information dreamlandmafia, I had no idea honestly. Now I do.

Originally posted by Djarums
I think your points can be made quite effectively without delving into why you think the Jewish tradition of 13 meaning entering adulthood is stupid or "scary #" as stated above.

Well it is scary to me, not stupid, (I did not say stupid) for my own personal reasons, my comment had nothing to do with anybody being Jewish but that a 13 yr old is merely a child and nothng even close to an adult ... in my opinon.

Everything else apart from that fact in this story is downright appalling. ie: the money spent. So please don't try twist my font. Thank you

But Jews supporting 50 Cent. wow.

[edit on 2-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

And I always thought that you are entering "Adulthood" when you are 18 or 21. But I guess Daddy knows best for his little Girl, right?

mmhmmm he sure does
and when he is taking her to the free clinic, no no wait that ain't right, when he has the most expensive doctor in the world flown in to treat her for the STD's 50 cent's crew gave her, maybe he'll know better.

Little girls just aren't little girls anymore and that is a damn shame.

[edit on 2-12-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

But Jews supporting 50 Cent. wow.

I think that 50 Cent is Supported by one thing Only: MONEY.
That is why he Appeared on this B-Day Mitzvahopalooza Party.
Money is the Boss here - and Jews sure got Plenty.
Fifty is just Dancing to their Tune - even if he Claims to be a "Rebel", but in the end he was the one on that Stage.

I wonder where Eminem was...

Gorilla Unit & Gold.

Wow - they are so "BAD", huh?

[edit on 3/12/05 by Souljah]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It's interesting, if hardly surprising, that this article has gained so few responses, and those that have responded have sounded so cynical about the whole thing.

We really aren't even particularly surprised by such things any more. Yeah-- some mendacious scumbag made a ton of money by using his political connections to sell defective military equipment, then used his obscene and undeserved profits on an entirely self-indulgent waste of money, and in the process hired the services of a number of people who would have us believe wouldn't stoop to such a level, but in reality are just as driven and just as blinded by the prospect of obscene profit.

So what else is new?

THIS is why T.S. Eliot wrote:

"This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper."

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob LaoTse
It's interesting, if hardly surprising, that this article has gained so few responses, and those that have responded have sounded so cynical about the whole thing.

The Hardcore Military Fans were not really Loud in this Thread.
I wonder why...

We really aren't even particularly surprised by such things any more. Yeah-- some mendacious scumbag made a ton of money by using his political connections to sell defective military equipment, then used his obscene and undeserved profits on an entirely self-indulgent waste of money, and in the process hired the services of a number of people who would have us believe wouldn't stoop to such a level, but in reality are just as driven and just as blinded by the prospect of obscene profit.

So what else is new?

But thats the "American Dream" Dude.
The Corporate Approach to Wars and the Corporate Approach to "Parties".
Basicly those artists prooved that they will sing for anybody that will pay him a good dollar bill, and it does not matter, wheter he sold thousands of "Bulletproof" Vests that are not really so Bulletproof in the first place.

THIS is why T.S. Eliot wrote:

"This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper."

So true, so true...

top topics

join